Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUS-421 APA requirements
(02-05-2019, 06:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 04:07 PM)scout2family Wrote: I've checked ratings for professors on ratemyprofessor and was curious about getting forum feedback on BSBA Capstone Professors at Tesu. Does is month offer different professors? Is that how it works? I was leaning towards Ness but don't see him available for March. Maybe he'll have class beginning April?
Am also curious about:
Christie Cruse (OL course)
Jack Lampman (GS)

Some mentioned above, having Lampman but hadn't started their course yet. How would you rate him now?

I had Lampman for my OL course, he's a good mentor, though he can be a bit slow to post grades (probably because he's juggling multiple classes). He grades tough but fair, and provides feedback with each grade. If you follow the APA guidelines in your papers and put in the extra effort to meet or exceed the rubric requirements, he will reward you with a good grade.

There is a ton of writing in this course. I hope you're prepared. Smile

I suggest the OL (Online) vs GS (Guided Study) version of the course since it means the final paper has less weight. You'll have to do a few more discussion forum posts, but that's an acceptable tradeoff IMO.

Is the APA only needed for the final paper? Or the case studies too?
FYI, I split this off into its own thread since it really had nothing to do with picking instructors for BUS-421. Plus it was a necropost resurrecting a 10-month old thread.

(12-21-2019, 03:19 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 06:57 PM)Merlin Wrote: I had Lampman for my OL course, he's a good mentor, though he can be a bit slow to post grades (probably because he's juggling multiple classes). He grades tough but fair, and provides feedback with each grade. If you follow the APA guidelines in your papers and put in the extra effort to meet or exceed the rubric requirements, he will reward you with a good grade.

There is a ton of writing in this course. I hope you're prepared. Smile

I suggest the OL (Online) vs GS (Guided Study) version of the course since it means the final paper has less weight. You'll have to do a few more discussion forum posts, but that's an acceptable tradeoff IMO.

Is the APA only needed for the final paper? Or the case studies too?

APA style is expected in all the writing. They even expect it in the specific topic posts you're required to make in the forum... this means the questions you have to answer based on reading the chapters, not the responses to other students. This includes citations and references for everything.

That said, I don't know how much the format of your forum posts factors into scoring, other than for missing citations, which is critical to avoid plagiarism concerns. Personally, I didn't have any issues using APA on it all since I am comfortable with writing in that style, but from what I understand, not everyone did so. In my cohort, several of the students appeared to be terrible writers from what I saw of their forum posts, and many of them did not bother to follow APA rules for those posts.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
It seems like learning the citation style is not too challenging, but the "abstract" trips me up because that wasnt' a thing with MLA style - you needed an "abstract" for each of your discussion posts?
I did the Guided Study (so no posts with classmates), and I did APA-formatting for my Case Studies and Final project, but not for the Discussion Assignments (similar to the posts).

I liked doing it for the Case Studies, since it was good practice for the final paper. When I sat down to write that, I was an old pro at using the APA-formatting on MS Word, which made it all go much quicker than I thought it would.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-23-2019, 03:18 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I did the Guided Study (so no posts with classmates), and I did APA-formatting for my Case Studies and Final project, but not for the Discussion Assignments (similar to the posts).

I liked doing it for the Case Studies, since it was good practice for the final paper.  When I sat down to write that, I was an old pro at using the APA-formatting on MS Word, which made it all go much quicker than I thought it would.

Did you use a template or manually create the format?
(12-23-2019, 08:51 AM)tjguitar85 Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 03:18 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I did the Guided Study (so no posts with classmates), and I did APA-formatting for my Case Studies and Final project, but not for the Discussion Assignments (similar to the posts).

I liked doing it for the Case Studies, since it was good practice for the final paper.  When I sat down to write that, I was an old pro at using the APA-formatting on MS Word, which made it all go much quicker than I thought it would.

Did you use a template or manually create the format?

It was kind of automated in MS Word.  It's been a couple of years, so I can't remember, but it was helpful at the time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
When I took the Bus Capstone (a few months ago), the professor required APA for everything, case studies, final paper, weekly discussions. To make things easier, I used EasyBib, the pro version cost like $10/month. The best $30 I could have ever spent in saving hours of time putting together correct APA formats for each assignment resulting in better grades.
(12-23-2019, 05:55 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: When I took the Bus Capstone (a few months ago), the professor required APA for everything, case studies, final paper, weekly discussions. To make things easier, I used EasyBib, the pro version cost like $10/month. The best $30 I could have ever spent in saving hours of time putting together correct APA formats for each assignment resulting in better grades.

Thanks for the tip!!!
(12-22-2019, 03:56 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: It seems like learning the citation style is not too challenging, but the "abstract" trips me up because that wasnt' a thing with MLA style - you needed an "abstract" for each of your discussion posts?

Unless otherwise stated, the abstract section is only required for published papers, not for assignments.

The early papers I wrote were all in MLA format as well. Once I got to the upper-division courses, I encountered my first APA paper. I included an abstract in that paper, which I believe was for one of the upper-division courses at Study.com, and they set me straight.

Most of the papers I've written since then have been in APA format, but I have never been asked to include an abstract in any course. This includes the capstone and all the papers I wrote during the completion of my master's degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elective requirements Kones 7 480 10-26-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU degree requirements help based on current catalog evenFair23 42 2,956 08-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,090 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Foreign (canadian) bachelor's degree does not waive GE requirements? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 12 783 06-11-2023, 11:28 AM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 713 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 756 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Star Requirements for BA CompSci COMPLETE jsd 22 2,703 03-19-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  RA Credit Requirements for a Second Degree OUStudent 4 811 12-27-2022, 04:42 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Dual Major - Upper Level Credit Requirements for 2nd Degree StudiousTraveller 9 993 10-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  Question about General Education Requirements sprout18 6 933 12-11-2021, 10:36 PM