Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUS421 Capstone OL/GS - Which Professor?
(11-24-2020, 01:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 12:20 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:29 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I'm curious if anyone has the schedule of assignments for GS of the BUS421 capstone.

I wonder how much of a difference it is from the OL one.

On the GS you are still using the online TESU moodle platform?

Yes to moodle

11 Written assignments
7 case studies
1 final project

I took it 3 years ago, but I only had 5 written assignments in addition to the 7 case studies (so 12 written assignments overall).

My written assignments were 208-287 words with 1 work cited, and I got between 85% and 100% on each one.  So I'm guessing 1000 words with 10 citations is putting way too much effort into something only worth 10% of your grade overall. But that's just me, and I'm lazy.  Big Grin

Written are 15% of grade now, Case studies 35%, Midterm 25%, Proficiency assessment 5% , final project 20%
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(11-24-2020, 06:12 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:29 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I'm curious if anyone has the schedule of assignments for GS of the BUS421 capstone.

Yes to moodle

11 Written assignments
7 case studies
1 final project

I took it 3 years ago, but I only had 5 written assignments in addition to the 7 case studies (so 12 written assignments overall).

My written assignments were 208-287 words with 1 work cited, and I got between 85% and 100% on each one.  So I'm guessing 1000 words with 10 citations is putting way too much effort into something only worth 10% of your grade overall. But that's just me, and I'm lazy.  Big Grin

Written are 15% of grade now, Case studies 35%, Midterm 25%, Proficiency assessment 5% , final project 20%

Ok, so change my wording.  I STILL think it's spending too much time & effort on a small portion of your grade.  I'd spend more time on studying for the final, doing case studies, and the final project.  I tend to prioritize my time on the things that give me the most bang for my buck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-24-2020, 08:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Yes to moodle

11 Written assignments
7 case studies
1 final project

Ok, so change my wording.  I STILL think it's spending too much time & effort on a small portion of your grade.  I'd spend more time on studying for the final, doing case studies, and the final project.  I tend to prioritize my time on the things that give me the most bang for my buck.

Totally understand and you're correct. I may be putting too much into it. On the up side, it is actually enjoyable for me.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(11-24-2020, 08:38 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 01:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I took it 3 years ago, but I only had 5 written assignments in addition to the 7 case studies (so 12 written assignments overall).

Totally understand and you're correct. I may be putting too much into it. On the up side, it is actually enjoyable for me.

Well now, if you enjoy it, then write away!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-24-2020, 08:50 AM)cerich67 Wrote: His comments to me "Rather than concentrate on page counts, pay more attention to the depth and breadth of your assignment. Limiting yourself to "x" words or "y" pages will place an artificial limiter on your efforts that may impact the overall quality of your assignments. In other words, free free to deliver an assignment with a length that has allowed you to present your very best responses to the assignment. Less is not always more. Besides, I'm happy to read your submissions, regardless of length."

In other words, he is looking for the rubric, but also looking to see if you are examining the subject and trying to do more than just meet the rubric.

Yes, I agree he is more interested in the content and your analysis of the subject than just trying to meet the rubric.

Each of my papers was like 50% longer than required, but that is because I was purposely being exhaustive in my analysis in order to cover my topics from different perspectives. Mr. Lampman told me that he appreciated my attention to detail and was particularly pleased with my final paper. So if you show that you care about doing quality work, he will see and appreciate it.

I'm sure I probably would have still gotten good marks for meeting the minimum rubric requirements, I think putting in the extra effort allowed me to provide more convincing arguments while helping me to learn and synthesize the material better.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-23-2020, 04:33 PM)Hi I just completed this course with Campo. Would highly reccommend him. He\s informative, helpful and made the class easy. Walked away with an A.  JC39 Wrote: I definitely want to do my best to get an A in this class. I want to pick Guided Study than Online. Does anyone recommend J. Lampan as being a good grader. I read somewhere he doesn't give A's. I am hard on myself too. I prefer GS but if I have to do OL to get an A, I will not mind choosing this. Thanks!

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-GS001 (83155) Business Administration Capsto
Guided Study Courses
J. Lampman

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-OL009 (83156) Business Administration Capsto
Online Course
A. Campo

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-OL010 (83157) Business Administration Capsto
Online Course
B. Courts
(11-25-2020, 04:18 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:50 AM)cerich67 Wrote: His comments to me "Rather than concentrate on page counts, pay more attention to the depth and breadth of your assignment. Limiting yourself to "x" words or "y" pages will place an artificial limiter on your efforts that may impact the overall quality of your assignments. In other words, free free to deliver an assignment with a length that has allowed you to present your very best responses to the assignment. Less is not always more. Besides, I'm happy to read your submissions, regardless of length."

In other words, he is looking for the rubric, but also looking to see if you are examining the subject and trying to do more than just meet the rubric.

Yes, I agree he is more interested in the content and your analysis of the subject than just trying to meet the rubric.

Each of my papers was like 50% longer than required, but that is because I was purposely being exhaustive in my analysis in order to cover my topics from different perspectives. Mr. Lampman told me that he appreciated my attention to detail and was particularly pleased with my final paper. So if you show that you care about doing quality work, he will see and appreciate it.

I'm sure I probably would have still gotten good marks for meeting the minimum rubric requirements, I think putting in the extra effort allowed me to provide more convincing arguments while helping me to learn and synthesize the material better.

I was the opposite with my case studies, which I very much enjoyed.  I am a very concise writer, and choose to use strong vocabulary rather than extra words to make my point.  I also spend a lot of time organizing my papers, so that the paragraphs do what they're supposed to do, without a lot of superfluous stuff in there. I got 100% on all of them, and all were shorter than required.

I feel like the word count or page length requirements are to give people an idea of what a paper should be - you can be shorter, or longer, but the key is to make your points well, give good evidence to back everything up, and please, be nice to your instructors and check your spelling and grammar.  They will appreciate it.
(11-27-2020, 02:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: and please, be nice to your instructors and check your spelling and grammar.  They will appreciate it.

That's what Grammarly is for Big Grin
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az
(11-27-2020, 02:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 04:18 AM)Merlin Wrote: Yes, I agree he is more interested in the content and your analysis of the subject than just trying to meet the rubric.

I was the opposite with my case studies, which I very much enjoyed.  I am a very concise writer, and choose to use strong vocabulary rather than extra words to make my point.  I also spend a lot of time organizing my papers, so that the paragraphs do what they're supposed to do, without a lot of superfluous stuff in there. I got 100% on all of them, and all were shorter than required.

FYI, I don't think your intention was to suggest that my papers were longer due to weak vocabulary, poor organization, or inability to be concise. But that is the way that just came across.

My papers tend to be longer because I like to provide multiple perspectives and a plethora of research-based data points, illustrations, and citations in support of my conclusions. I am concise where necessary, but I generally prefer to be thorough over being concise where I think there may be an opportunity for confusion or I don't feel that I have provided sufficient evidence to support my points. Then again, I enjoy research, so I tend to include a lot of citations in my papers in general.

In my case, the instructor called out that he appreciated the extra work I put into my papers, despite the additional length. Other instructors may prefer shorter papers though. My wife is a college instructor and I know she prefers shorter papers since she can usually move through them more quickly.

(11-27-2020, 02:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I feel like the word count or page length requirements are to give people an idea of what a paper should be - you can be shorter, or longer, but the key is to make your points well, give good evidence to back everything up, and please, be nice to your instructors and check your spelling and grammar.  They will appreciate it.

Agreed. Also, unless stated otherwise, be sure to follow proper APA (or MLA) guidelines for format and citation style. You can and will be marked down if your papers don't follow the standard required by your school, department, or instructor. You can't go wrong by following APA if not told to follow a different academic style. By the time you get to your capstone you should be well-versed in academic writing.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 02:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 04:18 AM)Merlin Wrote: Yes, I agree he is more interested in the content and your analysis of the subject than just trying to meet the rubric.

FYI, I don't think your intention was to suggest that my papers were longer due to weak vocabulary, poor organization, or inability to be concise. But that is the way that just came across.

My papers tend to be longer because I like to provide multiple perspectives and a plethora of research-based data points, illustrations, and citations in support of my conclusions. I am concise where necessary, but I generally prefer to be thorough over being concise where I think there may be an opportunity for confusion or I don't feel that I have provided sufficient evidence to support my points. Then again, I enjoy research, so I tend to include a lot of citations in my papers in general.

In my case, the instructor called out that he appreciated the extra work I put into my papers, despite the additional length. Other instructors may prefer shorter papers though. My wife is a college instructor and I know she prefers shorter papers since she can usually move through them more quickly.

Sorry Merlin, I did not intend to say that you were any of those things (of course I wasn't, because it's obvious by your writing on your forum that you aren't any of those things).  I was trying to tell people (in a badly worded way) that some people can write great short papers, and some can write great long papers - and both are fine.  The real key to all of it is to use your strengths, and know that the guidelines are just that - guidelines, not hard and fast rules.  They give you an idea of what most people are doing.  Then use your judgement to decide if those work for you.

And Merlin, I'll bet when we sit down to write a paper, I will STRUGGLE to get my paper long enough, while you will struggle just as hard to try to shorten it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,291 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 529 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,371 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,116 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,178 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 922 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 703 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 901 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 2,037 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,678 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne