Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BYU-IS accepted at TESU?
If you're doing an English degree through TESU, you can only get 1 UL course through Study.com for it, the Technical Writing one. All the rest come in LL.

Even TESU itself only has about 6 options for UL credit and you need 4 courses to finish the degree so it's slim pickings. Shmoop getting kicked out of TESU really made it difficult for people to complete that degree cheap and tbh if I had it to do over again I would have done something else.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(04-05-2019, 12:41 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: If you're doing an English degree through TESU, you can only get 1 UL course through Study.com for it, the Technical Writing one. All the rest come in LL.

Even TESU itself only has about 6 options for UL credit and you need 4 courses to finish the degree so it's slim pickings. Shmoop getting kicked out of TESU really made it difficult for people to complete that degree cheap and tbh if I had it to do over again I would have done something else.

Yeah, it's turning out more expensive for sure, but I'm really enjoying the courses so far (much more than if I would have done Shmoop!). The BYU-IS courses look interesting as well—looking forward to do them.

I think the knowledge and skills you get out of these more difficult and expensive courses are valuable (at least for me). Maybe if Shmoop would still be accepted, I would have gone with that, but I'm kind of glad it turned out this way.
(04-05-2019, 12:41 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: If you're doing an English degree through TESU, you can only get 1 UL course through Study.com for it, the Technical Writing one. All the rest come in LL.

The Shmoop LIT courses weren't ACE-recommended as UL anyway, so the fact that TESU brought them in that way at the beginning was a fluke.

The good news is that it's still a relatively inexpensive degree, and you can always opt to switch to a BALS if you don't want to spend the extra money.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
well sure only TESU counted them that way, but every degree plan on here for English took that as a given when they were putting it together. That's the point.

I got 3/4ths of the way through an English degree and have had to take 2 UL's through a college that I thought I could take through Shmoop. No, it's not impossible to do that, but you can test almost all the way out of a Communications degree or a Psychology degree for cheaper. I was just saying that "if I had known" that I wouldn't be able to use Shmoop UL credits, I would have picked a different subject for my degree.

Also, tbh, the real problem is the non-Western lit requirement, because your options there are all super tedious. At least on the UL courses you can just do Advanced American Lit 1&2 or something and not want to kill yourself.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(04-05-2019, 08:57 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: well sure only TESU counted them that way, but every degree plan on here for English took that as a given when they were putting it together. That's the point.

I got 3/4ths of the way through an English degree and have had to take 2 UL's through a college that I thought I could take through Shmoop. No, it's not impossible to do that, but you can test almost all the way out of a Communications degree or a Psychology degree for cheaper. I was just saying that "if I had known" that I wouldn't be able to use Shmoop UL credits, I would have picked a different subject for my degree.

Also, tbh, the real problem is the non-Western lit requirement, because your options there are all super tedious. At least on the UL courses you can just do Advanced American Lit 1&2 or something and not want to kill yourself.

Communications isn't particularly test-friendly through TESU
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 372 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 710 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,427 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 895 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 718 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,201 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,926 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455
  TESU, UMPI, EU, COSC and WGU students reen967 8 1,539 10-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: reen967
  How long does it take TESU to get the info to update? CHken92 6 1,059 05-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: CHken92
  ACTFL CREDITS to TESU Seagull 30 4,432 04-05-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: utility