Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelor and Master - same university
Hi,

Is it advisable to complete bachelor and master at the same university?

I was referring some online forum where people had different opinions studying both bachelor and master at the same university.

What this forum advises?
Depends on the university. A Master's degree from TESU is crazy expensive. A Master's degree from UMPI is more reasonably priced, but it seems to be a lot of work. Don't bankrupt yourself for a Master's degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
IMO it’s far more important to choose the right program that
1) you can get accepted into.
2) Fits into your life and career goals
3) you are willing and able to Financially afford.

The advantage I can see with completing both degrees at the same institution is that you’ll be familiar with the school, their policies and procedures , and possibly some networking connections you may have formed with students and teachers.
Everyone is going to be different in regards to the way they think and go to school, the way they perceive a proper direction for their educational journey and goals. I believe it all depends on what your interests are and goals. If the school has a very good undergrad/graduate program in that specific field, sure, go for it... I see value staying at that school in that particular program.

Having said that, many people go from getting Associates degrees from community college or similar options at institutes of technology and ladder up to their Bachelors at another university. They can then focus on going to a better graduate school in their respective fields of interest and study, usually at a more recognized university for academic, research or similar reasons.

The key is, progression. College/Institutes (Associates), another college/university (Bachelors), and then their final program at a degree granting of their choice for their Masters. For example, you can go to TESU for an Associates/Bachelors/Masters all in one... not many people will care as it's a public/state university, not a small no name college that is for-profit...

As mentioned above, the Masters at TESU is expensive. So generally, I tell people to go for an associates/bachelors - and if they're really into it, using the 16 credits for residency requirements, they can use those towards a second associates/bachelors. I highly recommend a Masters at a competency based degree provider after you have that Bachelors.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • WALLACEMC11
It really just depends on the field you're in: I have a friend who was getting their bachelor's and master's in a field where it was VERY important that you DO NOT for any reason go to the same school; I've had others get them both at the same place with no downside. 99% of the time, it won't matter.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This only applies to those aspiring to work in academia. The expectation is that you'll be exposed to different opinions and research foci since universities tend to specialize in a certain area. For example, Prairie View A&M does a lot of juvenile justice research. My school does a lot of court trial and active shooter research.

More and more schools are developing 5-year bachelor to master's programs to help students finish faster and for less money. Some of your master's classes will simultaneously count as upper level classes in your undergraduate program, and the master's classes will be offered at the undergraduate tuition rate.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jch
(09-06-2021, 05:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Don't bankrupt yourself for a Master's degree.

I agree. On the other hand, a lot of well known schools offer Master's degrees online and are nowhere near as selective about who gets into them as they are at the undergraduate level. Getting the fastest, cheapest, alt-creditest, Big Threeest Bachelor's degree and topping it off with a Master's from a well known school can be a pretty good strategy, especially since at 36 credit hours a Master's degree is usually the least expensive degree to earn from any given institution.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • jch
Very rarely will it matter where your degrees come from. It's far more important that you have them than where they're from. Many schools don't even offer master's degrees. Many schools who have master's programs have limited options. So getting your master's at the same school as your bachelor's degree isn't even a possibility for most people. I have 2 associate degrees from 2 different community colleges. I'm completing my second bachelor's degree and it's from the same university as my first one. Then I'm moving onto another university to complete my 2 master's degrees. Then I will shuffle along to yet another university for my DBA. Even fewer options for a doctoral degree!
(09-07-2021, 02:35 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 05:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Don't bankrupt yourself for a Master's degree.

I agree. On the other hand, a lot of well known schools offer Master's degrees online and are nowhere near as selective about who gets into them as they are at the undergraduate level. Getting the fastest, cheapest, alt-creditest, Big Threeest Bachelor's degree and topping it off with a Master's from a well known school can be a pretty good strategy, especially since at 36 credit hours a Master's degree is usually the least expensive degree to earn from any given institution.

Exactly. They’re are definitely worse things to spend a little  on than a masters degree. Sure if you can get a masters in a useful field for $5k go for it.  But $20-$30k for a useful skill set isn’t that unreasonable imo. . Considering masters degree holders on average earn $250 more a week than bachelors.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • SteveFoerster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Any University of Wisconsin-Parkside Alum? CFPhopeful 9 675 01-18-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 2 289 01-17-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  European seeking advice for a tech degree to study a master's in Europe unfinesredondo 5 657 01-04-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 884 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is my plan to apply for a master's degree feasible? puga 16 1,246 11-14-2023, 05:11 PM
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,202 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 481 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 613 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali
  Changed mind about Master's, BLS advice? spaindreamer 9 504 09-27-2023, 03:14 PM