Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelor degree in 1 year
Information 
Hey everyone I just joined the forum and have read all the newbie information I could find however from the wiki it seems like most of the degree plans are outdated. My goal is to get a BSBA in a year and Im not really sure where to start or if that is shooting too high. I decided to enroll in ALEKS after reading this https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-Plan just to get some momentum going, however fast forward today and I just learned ALEKS is losing its ACE so now I'm back at square one lol. As of right now I have no credits and no degree plan. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options study.com, sailor, streamliner CLEP, DSST ect I'm really not sure where to start or what the benefits and differences are between them all. Can someone please provide some insight on how to create a degree plan thats going to get me to bachelor the fastest? Thanks in advance!
(05-24-2018, 11:20 PM)Chasedegree1891 Wrote: Hey everyone I just joined the forum and have read all the newbie information I could find however from the wiki it seems like most of the degree plans are outdated. My goal is to get a BSBA in a year and Im not really sure where to start or if that is shooting too high. I decided to enroll in ALEKS after reading this https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-Plan just to get some momentum going, however fast forward today and I just learned ALEKS is losing its ACE so now I'm back at square one lol. As of right now I have no credits and no degree plan. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options study.com, sailor, streamliner CLEP, DSST ect I'm really not sure where to start or what the benefits and differences are between them all. Can someone please provide some insight on how to create a degree plan thats going to get me to bachelor the fastest? Thanks in advance!

ALEKS is now back and you can currently earn credit if completed by 07/31/18 for College Algebra, College Algebra with Trigonometry, PreCalculus,Trigonometry & Statistics (Business Statistics, Introduction to Statistics or Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences). Note a few of these courses duplicate each other depending on where you end up getting your degree from.  In example there are three ALEKS statistics courses but for TESU they all are equivalent for the same course (so only take one) - I believe the same is true of 'College Algebra with Trigonometry' & PreCalculus being equal.   If you're looking at the TESU BSBA then you ALEKS is a good affordable way to get the required College Algebra and Statics credits.  If you search online there are often coupon codes for ALEKS where you can get a discount on the first month.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Bach2Mast
The degree plans are older, but not "outdated" as in most of the info is still good.

That being said, you should ALWAYS check ACE/NCCRS to make sure that a course hasn't expired.  That's just a smart way to go about things.  Even if it's due to expire at some point (as it does with ACE every 3 years pending renewal), as long as you complete a course before the expiration date, you are fine.  Put it on your ACE transcript and move on to the next course.

Take all the free courses you've seen (NFA has 1, Sophia has 2, The Institutes has 1, TEEX has 3), unless they slow you down too much (TEEX can be time-consuming if you're not computer-savvy).  If you are a good test-taker, then I suggest ModernStates.org to prep for CLEP exams, as they give you a free voucher for each course you complete to take the test (you may need additional testing materials if you're not strong in the subject, it's not meant to teach you everything you need to know, just prep you).  OnlineDegree.com is coming on board soon, with 15 free courses.  Study.com has a scholarship with Guardian to give you 6 free courses.  So lots of ways to get started with free credits right off the bat.

But, honestly, your best bet is to choose a school and get going.  I have a TESU BSBA plan, although COSC and EC are both fine as well (I don't have plans for them, but they are similar).  Continue reading this forum on a daily basis, as it will take a couple of months to start to understand what's going on.  Keep taking courses/exams, keep reading, and you'll start to get it.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 40.98 KB / Downloads: 44)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • acamp, jeremiah_jn, MSK9, quigongene
Step 1: use instantcert to study for CLEP and DSST. If you fail a CLEP or DSST you have to wait to retake it so begin with those, if you fail you can work on other items during the wait time.

That should get you started and motivated after you pass each test.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(05-25-2018, 12:26 PM)jjsafari Wrote: Step 1: use instantcert to study for CLEP and DSST. If you fail a CLEP or DSST you have to wait to retake it so begin with those, if you fail you can work on other items during the wait time.

That should get you started and motivated after you pass each test.

I second the CLEP/DSST route, though only because I don't have much experience with the others. CLEP is a great option right now because of the free vouchers and proctor fee reimbursement through Modern States. It's not unreasonable to complete 30 credits through CLEP in a single month. DSST tests are a bit more difficult because they offer UL credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes alexf.1990's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Thank you everyone for the feedback I appreciate everyone insight.

Allvia great to know I have till August so I misewell continue with my aleks subscription and get as much as I can done. I was never good at math so that’s the one I know I’m really going to need to focus on.

dfrecore thanks for the outline ok I’ll start on the free ones. Thanks for telling me about modernstates.org I’ll check them out. And I’m going to go the TESU route from all I’ve read it seems to be the more popular school.

Jjsafari I appreciate the insight. I’m going to register with instatcert and start tomorrow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chasedegree1891's post:
  • Bach2Mast
i started this in July of last year and i just finished the last class i needed for a BA in History. I think a BA in 1 year is easily doable if you want to do it
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Idreamofadegree, miah
Hard to go wrong with CLEP, DSST, and UExcel as they have been around a long time (time tested) and other colleges know of them.  I have a ton of all three and I am still using them 16-years later. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(05-28-2018, 11:00 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Hard to go wrong with CLEP, DSST, and UExcel as they have been around a long time (time tested) and other colleges know of them.  I have a ton of all three and I am still using them 16-years later. Big Grin

Speaking of CLEP and DSST, besides the modern states prep, do people have success on those exams by using InstantCert solely?

Or is there a main study book for each clep/DSST that proves to be pretty successful?
I think InstantCert is only sufficient by itself if you already have a lot of domain knowledge and just need to prep to take the exam. For instance, I used Saylor alongside IC for sociology and anthropology, but I had enough astronomy knowledge that IC alone sufficed for that.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 586 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 266 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 611 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,730 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 499 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 284 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 851 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,236 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,831 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74