Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelor of Liberal Studies – Educational Studies Minor
Has anyone completed this at UMPI utilizing a good deal of Sophia and Study.com credits?  I have 49 CC credits and currently have 12 Sophia credits.  Looking to get more done and do some study.com but trying to figure out if this is a good route to go.  I had initially planned to do History at TESU, so I could go the History route at UMPI.  Trying to decide the most financially reasonable and least time consuming route to a degree at this point.
If you post your CC credits and what you completed at Sophia, that will help everyone figure out what would be the best route for you.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The BLS Education Minor is a good option, or you can continue on your current path of the BA History at UMPI. Either way, the majority of the courses should be the general education requirements/electives. You have 49 credits, find the required courses on their webpage and create a spreadsheet of courses that can be transferred. Transfer in the max and complete the rest at UMPI... if you need more than the required 10, plan ahead and see what courses can be taken.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • elledee2020
This is what I have so far. I'd like to do as much as possible via Sophia and Study.com to fill in the gaps. I know I will have to do the Education minor classes at UMPI if I go that way because I already checked to see if there were any equivalencies for those and did not find any. DCC was my community college. And Chem had a lab, hence the 4 credits.

DCC

ENG 111 College Composition 1 3
ENG 112 College Composition 2 3

ENG 243 Survey of English Literature 1 3
ENG 244 Survey of English Literature 2 3

CHM 111 College Chemistry 1 4
CHM 112 College Chemistry 2 4

HIS 121 United States History 1 3
HIS 122 United States History 2 3

SPA 203 Intermediate Spanish 1 3
SCM 100 Intro to American Sign Language 3

BUS 147 Intro to Business Information Systems 3

MTH 163 Precalculus 1 3
MTH 271 Applied Calculus 1 3

ECO 201 Principles of Economics 1 3
ECO 202 Principles of Economics 2 3

PED 135 Bowling 1 1
IST 295 PC Repair 1

SOPHIA – ACE

Ancient Greek Philosophers 3

Environmental Science 3
Human Biology 3

Visual Communications 3
I just start taking intermediate Spanish at SDC to see how difficult it is and got a surprise.
SDC intermediate Spanish is not an easy walk if you do not know already some Spanish. If you do, go ahead. But it can be quite a surprise if you do not know what to expect.
In fact is a quite a good curse to learn the language, but requires some time. Gives a good portion of attention to verb conjugation and right understanding of the sentences. So do not expect a quick course here.
I would take American Govt, Sociology or World Religions, and and Ethics course.

Then, any other courses you want to take through Sophia, Study.com, ICC, etc. Whatever interests you. Study.com has some Education courses that might interest you, and although they'll only come in as Free electives, they may make it easier to pass the UMPI EDU courses, or they may bring in a couple as electives in the minor leaving you free to take something else instead.

Another good option is to add a 2nd minor in History, in which case I'd probably take US History I & II, Western Civ I & II (not sure if that counts as World History there) and a few of the UL history courses at SDC, leaving you with options for that history minor.

You have 30cr to take outside of UMPI, so you can work it however you'd like.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-16-2021, 06:46 PM)elledee2020 Wrote: This is what I have so far.  I'd like to do as much as possible via Sophia and Study.com to fill in the gaps.  I know I will have to do the Education minor classes at UMPI if I go that way because I already checked to see if there were any equivalencies for those and did not find any.  DCC was my community college.  And Chem had a lab, hence the 4 credits.

DCC

ENG 111 College Composition 1 3
ENG 112 College Composition 2 3

ENG 243 Survey of English Literature 1 3
ENG 244 Survey of English Literature 2 3

CHM 111 College Chemistry 1 4
CHM 112 College Chemistry 2 4

HIS 121 United States History 1 3
HIS 122 United States History 2 3

SPA 203 Intermediate Spanish 1 3
SCM 100 Intro to American Sign Language 3

BUS 147 Intro to Business Information Systems 3

MTH 163 Precalculus 1 3
MTH 271 Applied Calculus 1 3

ECO 201 Principles of Economics 1 3
ECO 202 Principles of Economics 2 3

PED 135 Bowling 1 1
IST 295 PC Repair 1

SOPHIA – ACE

Ancient Greek Philosophers 3

Environmental Science 3
Human Biology 3

Visual Communications 3
I cannot speak to the BLS, but I'm currently working on the BA in History & Political Science, with a History concentration. I transferred in 44 CC credits and 60 credits from Study.com, which put me in a situation similar to yours. This left me with nine classes required to complete the degree, plus one to fulfill the residency requirement.

I don't want to guess what requirements your current courses will fill, so I'll just concentrate on what I'm pretty sure would be useful for you to take on Study.com (or you can find the Sophia equivalent, but I'm not at all familiar with Sophia). 

Political Science 101 and Political Science 102 would be useful to both fill requirements 1C and 5E, and to simultaneously fill your two political science requirements in the major (if you decide to do History).

Philosophy 101 filled both general education requirements 4C and 5D for me. 

Humanities 201 should cover general education requirement 2D.

Do not bother taking Western Civilization I and II; they don't fill the World Civilization requirements. However, if you take History 108: The Vietnam War and History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War, which cover a lot of the same material (if you do History 108 first, you'll already be about 65% through History 308), you'll get two of your eight upper level history classes covered quickly and easily. This is because History 108 will transfer in as History 439 and History 308 will, if you take both, transfer in as a generic History 3XX, and fill an UL slot (this is what happened with me, anyway).

I will also note that the specific classes listed on the major page are not actual requirements. The History concentration requires U.S. History I and II, World History I and II, two political science classes, two sequential foreign language classes, and eight upper level history electives (one pre-modern, one non-western, and six wide open), so you might be able to fill another one or two upper level history classes on SDC (but I'd be careful about that since you have to complete the bulk of your upper level classes at UMPI).

I cross-referenced requirements with my own transfers with the transfer list on Study.com (https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html), but there still may be errors here, as I'm typing this while thinking about a final I'm about to write and procrastinating. Apologies if there are.

EDIT: I just realized the first post is from October, so probably none of this is helpful (except as a way of helping me procrastinate).
(02-06-2022, 10:48 AM)wildebeest Wrote: EDIT: I just realized the first post is from October, so probably none of this is helpful (except as a way of helping me procrastinate).

It might be too late to help the original poster, but your information could still help someone else who is thinking about the same path! Big Grin
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I found the info helpful to understand how UMPI works.
So, thank you for posting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 216 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 274 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Is a Criminal Justice Minor Possible? Marlin9276 3 190 04-13-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 414 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 319 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Liberal Studies AA Lorvey 5 328 04-02-2024, 10:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS ZO10 23 1,032 03-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Educational Studies Minor Adrian245 11 1,742 03-26-2024, 11:58 PM
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 385 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  Completed! BAS Minor in Info Systems & Project Management mohelena02 4 499 02-25-2024, 07:14 PM