Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelor's (History)
Hello everyone, so background:

I am a vet, prior AD currently in the ANG. I graduated from DLI (Defense Language Institute) and have my AS from them in Persian Farsi. I did the General Ed classes required for them via CLEPs. I have a certain amount of credits from my CCAF and then some extra CLEPs and DSSTs that I have taken since I got my AS. I am getting an unofficial credit review from Excelsior as we speak but haven't applied to TESU to get the review from them yet. I'm not opposed to getting a BS in Liberal Arts (or similar), but would prefer a more specific degree (such as EC's BS in History or TESU's BA in History). Ideally I would like to get this degree completed as soon as possible, though if fast is too expensive then I guess the more traditional method could be better as that would be free (GI Bill). I received an unofficial review from EC 2 years ago and will post what they said they would accept, along with the CLEP/DSST I have taken (I didn't submit those to EC 2 years ago). I guess the advice I am looking for is if TESU would be a better option? I see they only require 18 Upper level courses and I have 15 UL credits (according to EC) from DLI, along with the Upper level credits I have from certain DSSTs. I plan on taking the DSSTs: Ethics and History of Soviet Union, and CLEP: US history II, and West Civ I and II). With EC I have to take 2 Eng comp classes, but I'm seeing Sophia might be an option, but I don't know much about that site. SO...sorry for the long post, but if anyone can give advice or any tips, I would appreciate it.

Attached Files
.jpg   CLEP_DSST.jpg (Size: 52.64 KB / Downloads: 12)
.pdf   1Excelsior_Unofficial.pdf (Size: 7.59 KB / Downloads: 18)
Your info from EC is outdated. I would apply again and send them everything for a review. Those 15 UL you mention are in a language not history. A degree in history is going to require UL's in history. I would send all transcripts and apply to both EC and TESU. They will evaluate your transcripts and can let you know which would be a better fit for you - a bachelor's degree in liberal arts or history. History is a liberal art so they're not terribly different. Is there any reason why you'd prefer the degree to be in history? Like jobwise or anything.
(09-11-2020, 02:52 PM)Kingsword Wrote: Hello everyone, so background:

I am a vet, prior AD currently in the ANG. I graduated from DLI (Defense Language Institute) and have my AS from them in Persian Farsi. I did the General Ed classes required for them via CLEPs. I have a certain amount of credits from my CCAF and then some extra CLEPs and DSSTs that I have taken since I got my AS. I am getting an unofficial credit review from Excelsior as we speak but haven't applied to TESU to get the review from them yet. I'm not opposed to getting a BS in Liberal Arts (or similar), but would prefer a more specific degree (such as EC's BS in History or TESU's BA in History). Ideally I would like to get this degree completed as soon as possible, though if fast is too expensive then I guess the more traditional method could be better as that would be free (GI Bill). I received an unofficial review from EC 2 years ago and will post what they said they would accept, along with the CLEP/DSST I have taken (I didn't submit those to EC 2 years ago). I guess the advice I am looking for is if TESU would be a better option? I see they only require 18 Upper level courses and I have 15 UL credits (according to EC) from DLI, along with the Upper level credits I have from certain DSSTs. I plan on taking the DSSTs: Ethics and History of Soviet Union, and CLEP: US history II, and West Civ I and II). With EC I have to take 2 Eng comp classes, but I'm seeing Sophia might be an option, but I don't know much about that site. SO...sorry for the long post, but if anyone can give advice or any tips, I would appreciate it.

With your EC Eval make sure you send your ERB as well, sometimes your MOS will not populate into your JST/CCAF. I'm assuming since you were Air Force you were probably like a crypto linguist or something as opposed to a signals analyst if you were Army. I say that though because generally E-5 and below dont get much credit rated but once you hit E-6 and attend your advanced school ACE offers a more generous credit evaluation with some UL credits. With your Intel background it may be possible to transfer some of those credits towards EC's national security degree with the intelligence and securities analysis concentration but that will require you to likely take around 4 extra classes through the school to accomplish the core requirements. I'am also assuming you specified History because you may be interested in teaching with it or something similar so that choice is ultimately your personal preference. EC considers your language credits to be arts and sciences so with 15 UL credits you would only need 6 more to knock out the 21 UL arts and sciences. The easiest and quickest would be to take 2 UL exams through coopersmith which can be done in less than two weeks but will likely run you around $360 ($150/course & $30/proctor fee). Does the ANG for your state offer tuition assistance?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 288 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Help with degree plan - UMPI BA History Ckccc 15 1,246 02-06-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 2 298 01-17-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 884 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,212 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 614 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali
  History degree plan Duneranger 15 704 09-12-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree MidtownNYC 2 418 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
  UMPI History Degree Plan Help!!!! kylepenn89 11 784 09-04-2023, 02:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  I Want A Bachelor's Degree Which Path Is The Fastest For Me?? jrose963 15 1,426 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jrose963