Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelors for job pay raise
(04-13-2020, 03:14 PM)natshar Wrote: well wgu I've heard people doing the whole degree in 6 months from scratch without transferring credits but that would take a lot of dedication and time. That is the fastest bachelors and cheapest bachelors I can think of but probably not doable unless you really know the material. if you work in business or it could be an option.

To set the record straight (and avoid people getting the wrong impression), very few people can start from zero credits and complete an entire bachelor's degree from WGU in 6 months or less. Most people who complete their degree in a single term do so by transferring in a significant amount of credits ahead of time. I know natshar hinted at it being hard, but people often underestimate the challenge level.

Yes, it is possible to do it, but it requires significant and broad prior experience in the degree being pursued and a ton of free time. Like being retired/unemployed or maybe working part-time level of free time. Not to mention, if you have no college experience they won't admit you since the college caters to adults with some prior college experience. So, at the least, someone with zero credits would have to take some leveling courses via WGU Academy or transfer credits in from somewhere like Study.com or StraighterLine. And if you're going to do that, you might as well use those resources to complete all your GenEds and anything else you need as well since it'll be cheaper and you can take your time doing so.

To give some context, to complete enough credits to graduate in 6 months, you're looking at completing 3 courses every 2 weeks. If you know the material and the course is exam-based, that's tough but doable, but when you throw in papers and projects, completing a course every 4-5 days is a hard pace to maintain.

I always recommend people try to transfer in as close to 90 credits as possible. Spend a year or so getting those 90 credits out of the way cheaply and at a more leisurely pace that you can maintain while still working and having a life, and then you can bang out those last 30 credits at WGU in 6 months easy. That, or plan for at least two terms at WGU and don't expect to have a life until it is done; you won't have time to do much other than study.

It seems like I see at least one post a day on the WGU forums from someone who signed up because they thought it would be cheap and easy to earn a degree in 6 months because they saw someone else bragging about having done so. Then they are disappointed when they discover that the coursework isn't easy ... plus their "cheap" degree has become much more expensive because it's going to take them 4+ terms to finish their degree. I'd like to avoid having that conversation with people.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
Since you already work in healthcare then WGU might be a good fit: https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degr...ogram.html

You may also be eligible for a Pell Grant - and you can apply for financial aid with WGU.

I would suggest that you earn as many credits to transfer in as possible - as it has been mentioned Sophia has a large # of free course available right now that could apply.  You'll have to do a bit of research figuring out which Sophia course works for WGU; there may be people here who can help you with that as well.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Basically you need to decide on a degree and where, either the Big 3 or a Competency-Based degree provider such as Walden. You need a set schedule, how many people are at your house? How many hours a day do you have? Do you have an extra room in the house to study in? What do you do? Do you know another language? Does the Hubby/siblings help out with chores/groceries, putting kids to bed? Which state are you in? Honestly, all the questions you're asking, is answered by one person - yourself. We don't know how many variables are in play and can only give you recommendations and advice, it's up to you to follow it or go with your own gut feeling.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-13-2020, 10:03 AM)Edriveless Wrote: I know this sounds unprofessional. I am happy with my job and have some certifications to back it up but no degree. The position company recently opened will require one but the job description fits my experience and certification already. HR said I’m qualified but the degree is something that needs to be checked off the box. Is there an alternative to CLEP, SL, SDC, Life Assessments? Any self pace that’s cheap which can be earned in less than 5-6 months? I saw another thread that had a foreign accredited degree for $300 on Groupon. I know sounds too good to be true but someone like me who has 4 kids to feed and provide for, I surely could use that the pay raise!
 I’m desperate for something quick because I really wouldn’t want it for anything else than just the pay raise. Yes I know about diploma mills but I still want to learn and  at this point I can’t afford what’s out there even the big 3 seems too hard to attain for me.

Quick and easy and learning do not go together. Either something is meaningful or is expedient when it comes to this stuff.

You could try a competency program, but they are gonna have you doing work and it will take awhile. I think the timeline of a degree in 6 months is done. That was possible back in the day with TESU or Charter Oak.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 294 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,718 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 867 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,533 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Scholarship Opportunity: Raise.Me MNomadic 7 736 10-07-2022, 09:38 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,360 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 757 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,525 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,624 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,112 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic