Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources?
So, had a sudden realization last night that I don't have to stay in the field I'm in. I'm good at it, but, I'm good at a lot of things. I could just as easily pick a degree that actually pays a livable wage instead of library science which pays crap. 

My wildest daydream is that I live in the middle of nowhere Northern Michigan and telecommute. Realized I could possibly actually do that with a degree in accounting/human resources. I would like to finish a masters in accounting through WGU as that looks like the cheapest option. It looks like their admission requirements are pretty specific, they require a degree that says accounting on it. 

What are my best options to make this happen? I have NO business credits other than a GEB 2430 Business Ethics class from a state college. 

Credits so far

Additionally, I just took Western Civilization I through Straighterline. I hadn't done a Straighterline class before, but, thought I would do two for the Excelsior discount. Now it looks like I will be doing a lot more. 

Thanks in advance! My ideal is that I take around 12 credits or so that would count for human resources as well.

Attached Files
.pdf   Classes.pdf (Size: 1.9 MB / Downloads: 28)
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
OP, you know what - You can get a BS Accounting from WGU and also continue onto their MS Accounting if you wanted to... Just wondering, did you apply to the TESU yet? A few people including myself would like to use TESU for undergrad and WGU for grad school, it separates the two, and personally - I think it looks better on a resume or CV as well.

I would see what COSC/TESU gives you in regards to credits and go with the one with the least resistance or with the most credits. If you are thinking of TESU, then I just wanted to mention, you need 1 CLEP College Math (6 CR FREE) and 1 Study.com Calculus I (6 CR for $70) to get an ASNSM Math along with your already completed ASNSM Biology (it's a consolation prize for not getting yourself that elusive BA Biology you wanted).

Lastly, in regards to TESU, you can get a double AOS for the BSBA - Accounting & HR/Organizational Management. There will be just an extra 18 credits to take for the second AOS, if you have the energy/money and time, go for the double concentration, they're both test-out-able from using Study.com for the UL requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
Dumb question, but why waste your time going for a degree at EC that you don't really want?  Why don't you just go straight for the BS in Accounting and onto the MS in Accounting at WGU?

Not sure where the HR comes into play, as I don't think it's necessary with a MS in Accounting, but you can get the BSB-HRM in addition to the BS in Accounting through WGU (although again I'm not sure why you'd want to).

Attached is the spreadsheet to show what a BS in Accounting would cost at WGU.  Your GE is complete, so everything left is in the major.  You can take any of the courses in yellow as courses through any of the way listed - but you should leave enough courses that you get your money's worth out of WGU.  It's a kind of balancing act - you want to take as many courses as you can so that you can complete your degree at WGU in a single term - but not spend so much that you overprice it.  You want to make sure that you take the right number.  I would think that 12 courses at WGU might be a good amount - 2 per month - but you can do more or less.  I also put all of those courses as $100 - but there are ways to get them to be less.  Taking anything as a Saylor exam will be $25.  Taking multiple courses through SL in a single month, and using a coupon will get you a great deal.  Taking more than 2 courses in a month through Study.com will lower costs.  And of course, using Modern States to get free CLEP exams is a great option.  Oh yeah, and OnlineDegree.com is $9 per course, although there are fewer options.

I would suggest taking at least 4 courses through SL of you can keep the costs down - WGU has a discount if you take 4 SL courses.

If you want the BSBM in HR, there are so many overlapping courses that you can get it for practically free (although I have no idea if WGU will let you get them concurrently or if you have to take one at a time, in which case it would cost 2 terms).

Also, the important thing to keep in mind at WGU - you have to take and transfer in all courses before enrolling.  If you enroll, that's it - no credits can come in after that.  I would suggest doing all of the courses you want/need to before applying, and then just be ready to go right away.

Good luck with your degree, whatever you decide to do.

Attached Files
.pdf   jenniferinfl WGU BS in Accounting.pdf (Size: 21.53 KB / Downloads: 48)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Awesome information!

Can I still get out of attending Excelsior? I already filled out a bunch of financial aid information and enrolled- but, haven't registered for any classes yet.

I wish I would have had this realization a couple months ago. I only casually like working in a library, don't love it. Then I realized I really want to telecommute. It looks like either accounting or HR afford opportunities to telecommute. I won't love what I do, but, the only thing I would love would be being a veterinarian but there's no way I could pay off that student loan debt on what they make..lol

What I will like is living wherever I want and still being able to find decent employment via internet connection.
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
(12-30-2018, 09:35 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Awesome information!

Can I still get out of attending Excelsior? I already filled out a bunch of financial aid information and enrolled- but, haven't registered for any classes yet.

I wish I would have had this realization a couple months ago. I only casually like working in a library, don't love it. Then I realized I really want to telecommute. It looks like either accounting or HR afford opportunities to telecommute. I won't love what I do, but, the only thing I would love would be being a veterinarian but there's no way I could pay off that student loan debt on what they make..lol

What I will like is living wherever I want and still being able to find decent employment via internet connection.

Yes, you can just not enroll.  Just call and tell them you want out - and then you're done.

WGU works with financial aid as well, so that's not a problem.  Just don't do anything, including call them, or fill out anything, until you're ready to enroll.  Seriously, they will hound you for months if you call them, so just don't.

I would choose one path or the other - and commit to it.  Either HR or Accounting.  Most employers aren't going to want to see both degrees, so there's no upside to getting both (except that they're overlapping so you could do it fairly easily).

I'd go with accounting through the MA degree.  I think you'll get more bang for your buck than HR.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • basicunitoflife, Muldoon
I've been picking through the plans trying to make sure I have it all figured out. I found the transfer requirements pages for Straighterline and Saylor at WGU and a few more classes won't come over. SDC doesn't seem to be an option, unless I just can't find the page. It looks like neither Saylor nor Straighterline courses count for Information Systems Management, Global Business, Principles of Finance, Quantitative Analysis for Business, Introduction to Human Resource Management, Project Management, Business Law for Accountants.

Additionally, it looks like you have to take Spreadsheets, Operations and Supply Chain Managements, Business Strategy, INT Accounting I and II, Taxation I and II, Cost and Managerial Accounting, Accounting Information Systems, Auditing and the Accounting Capstone exclusively with them. They are listed as non transferable courses.

Unfortunately, it looks like it might be more than can be done in a single term. I'm not sure about that, but, depends on what kind of papers need to be submitted or if these classes require participation in a discussion or other busy work.

Now, TESU from what I understand takes ACE credits as recommended. For some reason I remember that there's a cost per credit hour for some of them, is it Saylor that costs an extra $80 or so?
Sophia(2 credits)
(01-01-2019, 09:48 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: ...
Now, TESU from what I understand takes ACE credits as recommended. For some reason I remember that there's a cost per credit hour for some of them, is it Saylor that costs an extra $80 or so?

No extra fees. Just the regular transcript fees charged by ACE. SDC courses must be sent on an SDC transcript rather than through ACE.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
So, TESU evaluation came back and they took 52 of my 90 credits. There was a note attached at the end, "A review of your transfer credits indicates a better use of them if applied to the BA in Liberal Studies degree program. "

Of course, that was all pretty much what I expected as my credits are heavy on the sciences.

The only weird thing was that they stuck my GEB2430 Business Ethics class into the Diversity category instead of Ethics. I sure hope that's a mistake, because otherwise I'm taking an Intro to Sociology CLEP tomorrow for no reason.. lol

They didn't get my Straighterline transcript yet. Right now it's showing I need 69 credits. I have American Government and Intro to Religion completed at Straighterline and if tomorrow's CLEP tests go well I should finish Intro to Sociology and Information Systems. So, fingers crossed that after tomorrow I only need 57 more credits. That's still a LOT of credits compared to the BALS I was originally going to get, but, I think it will give me better work opportunities and be worth it. Even an intern accounting position looks like it pays more that I could make in my current line of work even if I maxed out promotions. I am definitely seeing that there will be an issue clearing around 4 of the upper level courses. So far can't seem to find something that definitely transfers in as FIN-301, MAN-372, ACC-402, or ACC-411. Hopefully Straighterline's Managerial Accounting will come in as Cost Accounting which looks upper level for one of the upper level classes. Hate to take that many classes with TESU, but, still beats spending two years on this. I had found another Florida college with an accounting class that takes DSST and CLEP, BUT, even with all the DSST's and CLEP I could apply I would still be looking at 4 semesters.
Sophia(2 credits)
Study.com has MAN-372 (their course number for it is Business 308). Not sure about the others
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-11-2019, 11:31 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: So, TESU evaluation came back and they took 52 of my 90 credits. There was a note attached at the end, "A review of your transfer credits indicates a better use of them if applied to the BA in Liberal Studies degree program. "

Of course, that was all pretty much what I expected as my credits are heavy on the sciences.

The only weird thing was that they stuck my GEB2430 Business Ethics class into the Diversity category instead of Ethics. I sure hope that's a mistake, because otherwise I'm taking an Intro to Sociology CLEP tomorrow for no reason.. lol

They didn't get my Straighterline transcript yet. Right now it's showing I need 69 credits. I have American Government and Intro to Religion completed at Straighterline and if tomorrow's CLEP tests go well I should finish Intro to Sociology and Information Systems. So, fingers crossed that after tomorrow I only need 57 more credits. That's still a LOT of credits compared to the BALS I was originally going to get, but, I think it will give me better work opportunities and be worth it. Even an intern accounting position looks like it pays more that I could make in my current line of work even if I maxed out promotions. I am definitely seeing that there will be an issue clearing around 4 of the upper level courses. So far can't seem to find something that definitely transfers in as FIN-301, MAN-372, ACC-402, or ACC-411. Hopefully Straighterline's Managerial Accounting will come in as Cost Accounting which looks upper level for one of the upper level classes. Hate to take that many classes with TESU, but, still beats spending two years on this. I had found another Florida college with an accounting class that takes DSST and CLEP, BUT, even with all the DSST's and CLEP I could apply I would still be looking at 4 semesters.

I'm confused.  I guess I'm not understanding why you're here asking about WGU/TESU and alternative credits, and then talking about taking actual courses at TESU?  Why in the world would you take more than the cornerstone/capstone there??

If you go to TESU, you can expect to transfer in 116cr - however many from previous, and then any additional from SL/CLEP/DSST/Study.com, etc.

You don't have to have the specific courses that are listed there (FIN-301, MAN-372, ACC-402, or ACC-411).  Everything you need can be found alternatively.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • basicunitoflife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,007 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,543 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 823 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,453 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Free Language Learning Resources vetvso 20 1,396 08-01-2022, 01:40 AM
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,249 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 735 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,467 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,594 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,085 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic