Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trade school instead of a bachelor's degree
For people that are interested in trades, keep an eye out for partnerships with local community colleges. Right now they're doing accelerated 2 week long "cable harness wiring" bootcamps at my local CC that are worth college credit and if you pass the final certification test, they reimburse your tuition and you get an interview at Boeing.

Often times, if there's a high enough demand in a certain occupation, programs pop up to train people for free.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • cookderosa, Jonathan Whatley
@mudball thats true in any country. Here you can retire at 50 and you cant work past 55 unless you have very high rank, and still many people have heart problems especially after retirement. Its sad to see.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I think that pensions that are 80 or 90 percent of pay are the great exception to the rule. The pension system that I am in has a 1.5% pension factor that is multiplied by the number or years worked to determine the percentage of pay in the pension. So my wife and I will retire in three years and will have 45% of pay. We both are paid in the $60,000 or so range, so it will be about $30,000 per year for 30 years worked. It's nice, but more than fair for the work involved. Also, those who die early or leave the system early tend to subsidize those who work a full career.

The 80 or 90 percent pensions are frequently in situations in which workers do not pay into social security. There are even people who work an entire career paying into social security who lose it by teaching for a few years in a state that does not participate.
(06-15-2019, 02:57 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Articles like this only show a narrow slice of the real world. Most people in the trades do not want their family members to follow in their footprints because it is really physically work. My whole family is electricians and plumbers and the wear and tear on the body is a real thing. Busting concretes and hauling toilets around is ok in your 20s and 30s but there will be point to where you cannot do it physically. If you are not business savvy and become a manager/owner of a company you are one bad injury from zero income. Also, the six figure trades are because of immense overtime, meaning you are never home and long days. I know many excellent tradesmen that can be laid off because of seasonal/weather, economic slow downs etc. Just like the bachelor degree path has pitfalls, so does the trades. Like anything, lucking into the right circumstances really helps.

I am going to say that I think this is overstatement.  I don't think "most" people in the trades don't want family members to follow along, I personally know a lot of people who are in the trades and encouraged their kids to get into it.  My dad was a lineman for 30 years, then taught it for 10.  A friend's son just asked about it, and my dad was super enthusiastic about telling him how much he loved it.  He declined multiple offers for promotions because there was no chance he was going to sit behind a desk rather than work outside. Yes, he worked some overtime, but not so much that he was "never" around.

And, plenty of people who make a lot in the trades are around to raise their kids.  I know, because I know them, and because I was on the board at our local soccer club for several years and saw it first hand.  MANY of the dads that coached were able to because they worked in the trades, and got off earlier than dads that sat in offices from 8-5:30 every day.  I know my dad worked early, from 6am-2pm for much of the year, and was able to coach baseball because of that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,616 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,462 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,180 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,704 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd