Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources?
(01-12-2019, 02:16 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm confused.  I guess I'm not understanding why you're here asking about WGU/TESU and alternative credits, and then talking about taking actual courses at TESU?  Why in the world would you take more than the cornerstone/capstone there??

If you go to TESU, you can expect to transfer in 116cr - however many from previous, and then any additional from SL/CLEP/DSST/Study.com, etc.

You don't have to have the specific courses that are listed there (FIN-301, MAN-372, ACC-402, or ACC-411).  Everything you need can be found alternatively.

I guess I'm not looking hard enough.. lol

I was searching the forums and it looked like other people ended up taking those classes at a B&M, which isn't really an option for me. Can't take those upper level courses locally without being enrolled in their program and having a whole bunch of prereqs. It looked like a couple people took those classes at CSU, which I'm exploring as an option. I guess it doesn't really matter yet as they are the upper level stuff I'll be taking last anyways. Perhaps some of the Study.com upper level stuff would work? Sorry, I'm really new to all of this. My preference would be to take no classes until I'm enrolled in a masters at WGU.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
From looking at your post, I'm confused, have you decided on TESU for undergrad and WGU for Masters? The courses you mentioned, FIN-301, MAN-372, ACC-402, ACC-411 and/or the entire requirements for TESU Accounting can be done through TECEP and Study.com - Basically, the only course you should take at TESU is the cornerstone/capstone combo and that's it!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-12-2019, 11:40 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 02:16 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm confused.  I guess I'm not understanding why you're here asking about WGU/TESU and alternative credits, and then talking about taking actual courses at TESU?  Why in the world would you take more than the cornerstone/capstone there??

If you go to TESU, you can expect to transfer in 116cr - however many from previous, and then any additional from SL/CLEP/DSST/Study.com, etc.

You don't have to have the specific courses that are listed there (FIN-301, MAN-372, ACC-402, or ACC-411).  Everything you need can be found alternatively.

I was searching the forums and it looked like other people ended up taking those classes at a B&M, which isn't really an option for me. Can't take those upper level courses locally without being enrolled in their program and having a whole bunch of prereqs. It looked like a couple people took those classes at CSU, which I'm exploring as an option. I guess it doesn't really matter yet as they are the upper level stuff I'll be taking last anyways. Perhaps some of the Study.com upper level stuff would work? Sorry, I'm really new to all of this. My preference would be to take no classes until I'm enrolled in a masters at WGU.

People on this forum are definitely not taking those courses B&M.  An entire BSBA in Accounting or BSBA in HR can be taken through alternative methods, except the capstone and cornerstone.

Here's a pdf of each degree.  It's probably a year old, there might be some minor changes, but basically you can follow either and be fine.

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BSBA5 HR.pdf (Size: 66.11 KB / Downloads: 39)
.pdf   TESU BSBA2 ACC.pdf (Size: 77.62 KB / Downloads: 41)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
(01-12-2019, 03:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 11:40 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

People on this forum are definitely not taking those courses B&M.  An entire BSBA in Accounting or BSBA in HR can be taken through alternative methods, except the capstone and cornerstone.

Here's a pdf of each degree.  It's probably a year old, there might be some minor changes, but basically you can follow either and be fine.

Thank you very much!

I'm working away at it, starting with the gen ed stuff and then moving into the business classes.

I hate to ask yet another question, I was lightly toying with the idea of maybe applying to Stetson for my masters instead of WGU. I'm local to Stetson and was offered a decent scholarship with them previously for my bachelor's degree that I couldn't pursue at the time due to work. They have both an online and a hybrid program. I would only go if they offered me a great scholarship which they MIGHT because I'm local and should be able to put up a decent GMAT score based on the practice tests I've taken.

Of course, they may not select me or they may select me and then may not offer enough of a scholarship to justify the expense. The reason I'm really interested in them is because they seem to have a relationship with Deloitte that WGU doesn't seem to have. I know I'm a bit old for it, but, would sure love a chance at getting my foot in the door.

They have a specific requirement that these particular classes be taken at a 4 year college:
ACCT 301
Federal Taxation of Individuals
ACCT 303
Financial Accounting I
ACCT 304
Financial Accounting II
ACCT 406
Auditing I
ACCT 410
Accounting Information Systems

This is probably another really stupid question, but does that mean that I have to take a traditional class for these specific classes rather than using something like Study.com? I'm sure that part of the requirement is because a local college offers these classes, but, at the 200 level. That information is located here: https://catalog.stetson.edu/graduate/bus...ancy/macc/
Granted, I know that it's probably a pretty big stretch and that I will likely go into the masters program at WGU, but, thought I might as well set myself to at least qualify to apply to Stetson.

I really appreciate the help! You have no idea how much of a difference this is making. When I went back to Daytona State back in 2010 the counselor there told me she didn't think it was likely that I could finish my Associate's degree. I had to come up with my own plan. My parents never went to college, none of my siblings went to college. I'm thrilled to finally have people I can ask about this stuff. If I seem like an incredible idiot, I apologize. I've never had anyone in my life who understood how the whole college thing worked.
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenniferinfl's post:
  • Muldoon
(01-11-2019, 11:31 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: So, TESU evaluation came back and they took 52 of my 90 credits. There was a note attached at the end, "A review of your transfer credits indicates a better use of them if applied to the BA in Liberal Studies degree program. "

Of course, that was all pretty much what I expected as my credits are heavy on the sciences.

The only weird thing was that they stuck my GEB2430 Business Ethics class into the Diversity category instead of Ethics. I sure hope that's a mistake, because otherwise I'm taking an Intro to Sociology CLEP tomorrow for no reason.. lol

They didn't get my Straighterline transcript yet. Right now it's showing I need 69 credits. I have American Government and Intro to Religion completed at Straighterline and if tomorrow's CLEP tests go well I should finish Intro to Sociology and Information Systems. So, fingers crossed that after tomorrow I only need 57 more credits. That's still a LOT of credits compared to the BALS I was originally going to get, but, I think it will give me better work opportunities and be worth it. Even an intern accounting position looks like it pays more that I could make in my current line of work even if I maxed out promotions. I am definitely seeing that there will be an issue clearing around 4 of the upper level courses. So far can't seem to find something that definitely transfers in as FIN-301, MAN-372, ACC-402, or ACC-411. Hopefully Straighterline's Managerial Accounting will come in as Cost Accounting which looks upper level for one of the upper level classes. Hate to take that many classes with TESU, but, still beats spending two years on this. I had found another Florida college with an accounting class that takes DSST and CLEP, BUT, even with all the DSST's and CLEP I could apply I would still be looking at 4 semesters.

I wouldn’t fool around with TESU in your case. It doesn’t make sense to to anything there except the capstone and get 90 credits from SL, a few from clep, and a sprinkle from SDC if you are pressed for time. In my humble opinion you’d be better off at WGU.
Why not just commit to WGU and blast straight through to the masters? 
Everything will go faster once you commit.
You can always find a job with an accounting degree, or make your own job.
Just wanted to update this, I applied to both WGU and TESU. Unfortunately TESU is going to be a nonstarter because of Florida's CPA requirements. WGU barely works because Florida's CPA board just approved their credits in 2017.

It looked like WGU was only going to accept a couple of my CLEP credits, but, it turns out college board only sent two of my scores instead of all of my scores.
Sophia(2 credits)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenniferinfl's post:
  • quigongene
(02-13-2019, 04:56 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Just wanted to update this, I applied to both WGU and TESU. Unfortunately TESU is going to be a nonstarter because of Florida's CPA requirements. WGU barely works because Florida's CPA board just approved their credits in 2017.

It looked like WGU was only going to accept a couple of my CLEP credits, but, it turns out college board only sent two of my scores instead of all of my scores.

Honestly, if you want to be a CPA, a BS in Accounting is a far better choice than a BSBA with a concentration in Accounting.  Far better.  I'd suggest you go ahead and get the MS in Accounting as well, and then you should be very well prepared to sit for the CPA (with additional studying of course).  But you'll have SO much more accounting under your belt this way.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-14-2019, 12:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 04:56 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Just wanted to update this, I applied to both WGU and TESU. Unfortunately TESU is going to be a nonstarter because of Florida's CPA requirements. WGU barely works because Florida's CPA board just approved their credits in 2017.

Honestly, if you want to be a CPA, a BS in Accounting is a far better choice than a BSBA with a concentration in Accounting.  Far better.  I'd suggest you go ahead and get the MS in Accounting as well, and then you should be very well prepared to sit for the CPA (with additional studying of course).  But you'll have SO much more accounting under your belt this way.

I too have intentions of sitting for the CPA exam in my state and am somewhat concerned about being prepared for it going the TESU BSBA Accounting route. After reviewing the WGU BS in Accounting degree plan, I'm wishing that I would have gone that direction instead. I'm too close to finishing at TESU to change at this point though. All that to say I think defrecore's advice is solid. 

Not to derail the thread, but is it possible to take specific accounting courses at WGU as a non-degree student? I'm not sure that I want to commit to the MS in Accounting, but an additional 30 credits are needed when I finish here in a few months.
TESU BSBA Accounting 2019 (In progress)
TESU does have a CPA track. Their pass rate for the New Jersey CPA exam is pretty high, but these students likely took their accounting courses at TESU.

https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/accountingcpa
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-14-2019, 11:14 AM)sanantone Wrote: TESU does have a CPA track. Their pass rate for the New Jersey CPA exam is pretty high, but these students likely took their accounting courses at TESU.

https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/accountingcpa

Is this the CPA track for all states?  I'm guessing that if you're getting your accounting courses in one state, and taking your CPA in that same state, that your instructors are going to give you state-specific info that will help you in that state.

(02-14-2019, 10:54 AM)AMRH94 Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 12:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

I too have intentions of sitting for the CPA exam in my state and am somewhat concerned about being prepared for it going the TESU BSBA Accounting route. After reviewing the WGU BS in Accounting degree plan, I'm wishing that I would have gone that direction instead. I'm too close to finishing at TESU to change at this point though. All that to say I think defrecore's advice is solid. 

Not to derail the thread, but is it possible to take specific accounting courses at WGU as a non-degree student? I'm not sure that I want to commit to the MS in Accounting, but an additional 30 credits are needed when I finish here in a few months.

Can't you just start the MS in Accounting, and take the courses you want, and then quit when you've completed as much as you want (or when your 6 months is up)?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Jenniferinfl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 281 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,681 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,797 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 865 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,530 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Free Language Learning Resources vetvso 20 1,428 08-01-2022, 01:40 AM
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,359 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 756 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,518 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,623 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP