Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources?
Best of luck to you!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-24-2019, 09:48 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Finally enrolled to start at WGU on April 1st. I have 66 credits to go- Hoping to manage it in one or two terms. There were probably 10 more courses I could have taken on straighterline or Study.com, but, didn't have $1100 to make that happen.

Jenniferinfl

I also live in Florida and just graduated from COSC with my BSBA. However, I'm much more interested in the Accounting track and seriously considering WGU based on the conversation thread here. What's your experience been like and, also, what were the Study.com courses that would have been of benefit if you had the chance to take them towards the Accounting undergraduate? I'm asking because I'm currently enrolled in their College Accelerator plan.

Anyway, I'm looking forward toward your input. Anybody else who sees this and wishes to opine, please do!
(06-01-2019, 02:43 AM)vpassenheim Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 09:48 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Finally enrolled to start at WGU on April 1st. I have 66 credits to go- Hoping to manage it in one or two terms. There were probably 10 more courses I could have taken on straighterline or Study.com, but, didn't have $1100 to make that happen.

Jenniferinfl

I also live in Florida and just graduated from COSC with my BSBA. However, I'm much more interested in the Accounting track and seriously considering WGU based on the conversation thread here. What's your experience been like and, also, what were the Study.com courses that would have been of benefit if you had the chance to take them towards the Accounting undergraduate? I'm asking because I'm currently enrolled in their College Accelerator plan.

Anyway, I'm looking forward toward your input. Anybody else who sees this and wishes to opine, please do!

Honestly, if you can learn quickly anyways, then just do it through WGU and skip study.com entirely. I started WGU on April 1st and have already finished 43 credits and it's only 06/14. I'm in Tax 1 right now and just passed the practice assessment and my next class is intermediate accounting II. I went the CLEP route instead, which ended up taking a lot longer than I think it would have taken to just take those classes through WGU. I mean, you could take principles of accounting through study.com because it's an easy class on WGU anyways. I studied using study.com before I even started at WGU, I did EVERY study.com class with a teachers account other than managerial accounting and honestly it was way easier than the text used for WGU. It didn't prepare me much at all for Accounting II or Intermediate Accounting I. Maybe it helped a little to understand some things, but, it wasn't on the difficulty level as the same class for WGU. The study.com accounting classes just aren't challenging enough. 

Your WGU experience comes down to your mentor. There isn't any busy work- you study on your own and take the practice exam and then if you pass you get to take the final. I've had several wasted days waiting for my mentor to unlock classes for me. BUT, I mean, I've got 7 classes left to do and 15 more weeks to do them in. I finished 14 classes in the first 11 weeks. It was grueling, but, worth it to get it done. 

If you can study and pass a CLEP in a week or less, than you will probably get decent bang for your buck at WGU. 

Don't think the material is easy though, I'm in the support group on Facebook and there are people who only successfully pass a couple classes in a 6 month term. There are people who fail several times where they almost have to switch majors before finally barely passing. I have a coworker who is also in WGU who is really struggling.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenniferinfl's post:
  • suzycupcake
(06-14-2019, 09:05 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

Jenniferinfl

Honestly, if you can learn quickly anyways, then just do it through WGU and skip study.com entirely. I started WGU on April 1st and have already finished 43 credits and it's only 06/14. I'm in Tax 1 right now and just passed the practice assessment and my next class is intermediate accounting II. I went the CLEP route instead, which ended up taking a lot longer than I think it would have taken to just take those classes through WGU. I mean, you could take principles of accounting through study.com because it's an easy class on WGU anyways. I studied using study.com before I even started at WGU, I did EVERY study.com class with a teachers account other than managerial accounting and honestly it was way easier than the text used for WGU. It didn't prepare me much at all for Accounting II or Intermediate Accounting I. Maybe it helped a little to understand some things, but, it wasn't on the difficulty level as the same class for WGU. The study.com accounting classes just aren't challenging enough. 

Your WGU experience comes down to your mentor. There isn't any busy work- you study on your own and take the practice exam and then if you pass you get to take the final. I've had several wasted days waiting for my mentor to unlock classes for me. BUT, I mean, I've got 7 classes left to do and 15 more weeks to do them in. I finished 14 classes in the first 11 weeks. It was grueling, but, worth it to get it done. 

If you can study and pass a CLEP in a week or less, than you will probably get decent bang for your buck at WGU. 

Don't think the material is easy though, I'm in the support group on Facebook and there are people who only successfully pass a couple classes in a 6 month term. There are people who fail several times where they almost have to switch majors before finally barely passing. I have a coworker who is also in WGU who is really struggling.

I think the key to WGU is finding the right balance to doing some things ahead of time, and some things during the course.  My choice would be to bring 90cr in, especially in things that aren't your major, just so you can be certain that you'll finish in a single term.

If you have 2 terms, then you can afford to have more courses to do since you have so much time.

But I would hate to think that I'd just do everything through WGU, then have something happen, and not be able to finish. Better to have too many credits than not enough.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-14-2019, 09:05 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:

Jenniferinfl

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds exactly like what I expected and have gleaned from others on the boards. I'll be starting 7/1. To finalize on Monday. I've felt good about the decision and what you've said confirms it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vpassenheim's post:
  • suzycupcake
(06-14-2019, 11:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think the key to WGU is finding the right balance to doing some things ahead of time, and some things during the course.  My choice would be to bring 90cr in, especially in things that aren't your major, just so you can be certain that you'll finish in a single term.

If you have 2 terms, then you can afford to have more courses to do since you have so much time.

But I would hate to think that I'd just do everything through WGU, then have something happen, and not be able to finish. Better to have too many credits than not enough.

I guess I assumed they would have as many transfer credits as I had since they already have a bachelor's degree. I only had 56 transfer credits. My speed bumps in the course so far have been Accounting II, Business Law for Accountants, Intermediate Accounting I. Tax 1 was easy because I've been filing my own taxes for years, just the new stuff added last year was more challenging cause I don't really know it yet. The difficult gen ed classes are College Algebra, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. Hopefully you already have those as transfer credits.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(06-15-2019, 08:35 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think the key to WGU is finding the right balance to doing some things ahead of time, and some things during the course.  My choice would be to bring 90cr in, especially in things that aren't your major, just so you can be certain that you'll finish in a single term.

I guess I assumed they would have as many transfer credits as I had since they already have a bachelor's degree. I only had 56 transfer credits. My speed bumps in the course so far have been Accounting II, Business Law for Accountants, Intermediate Accounting I. Tax 1 was easy because I've been filing my own taxes for years, just the new stuff added last year was more challenging cause I don't really know it yet. The difficult gen ed classes are College Algebra, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. Hopefully you already have those as transfer credits.
I have a BSBA from COSC. I'm awaiting approval/disapproval for my Davar Academy courses. They initially disapproved them (12 credits), but my enrollment counselor put in a request for review (or something like that). COSC accepted them, which I pointed out. Anyways, if they end up not approving them, I'm going to have about 60 credits only approved. Nevertheless, I'm ready to bust my butt with the WGU program. What really drew me to them was the rigorousness they're known for.

I'll keep you all updated!
(06-15-2019, 12:12 PM)vpassenheim Wrote:

I have a BSBA from COSC. I'm awaiting approval/disapproval for my Davar Academy courses. They initially disapproved them (12 credits), but my enrollment counselor put in a request for review (or something like that). COSC accepted them, which I pointed out. Anyways, if they end up not approving them, I'm going to have about 60 credits only approved. Nevertheless, I'm ready to bust my butt with the WGU program. What really drew me to them was the rigorousness they're known for.

So confused.  So you already have a BSBA, and now you're getting what from WGU?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-15-2019, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 12:12 PM)vpassenheim Wrote:

So confused.  So you already have a BSBA, and now you're getting what from WGU?
BS in Accounting.
I don't think WGU will accept Davar because it's NCCRS. WGU does not accept NCCRS credit. Also, I'm kind of confused as to why you would want a BS Accounting after a BSBA seems redundant to me. Why not go for a masters?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,707 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,806 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 865 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,533 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Free Language Learning Resources vetvso 20 1,428 08-01-2022, 01:40 AM
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,359 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 757 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,519 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,623 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP