Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelors in Business plan EC/WGU or others
At this point I’ve powered through everything I know I’m going to take LL wise. I’m trying to see if it’s worth it to move on to SDC or Davar for some UL credits for my degree plan or if I should just get my credits evaluated and start at my school of choice. 

Here’s some background:

My degree of choice would be in Business. I get educational reimbursement from my employer up to $5200/year. Alternative credits are not covered so any SDC/Davar/Coopersmith would be at my expense. The degree I choose has to be relevant to the business so a BALS is out. Ideally I’d like to be done with my degree by December 2021 but would prefer to be done even sooner. I’ve worked for my company for 15 years and I’m pretty up there as far as positions go so this is solely to check a box. I’ll be looking to get my MSML or MBA once I’m done if that matters. Also, I’m looking into a BSBA but I’m not a huge fan of math so I was also interested in a Bachelors in management.  

As far as schools go I’m really just looking to see where I can transfer a decent amount of credits and be done fairly quickly. I’d rather spend the least out of pocket as possible. My top choices right now are EC and WGU. I’ve looked at A LOT of schools...GGU, Ashford, COSC, TESU, NAU, the list could go on. I’m open to having to do 25% of credits at a school if I can still finish by the end of next year. WGU interests me a lot even though they won’t be as favorable for transferring in credits just for the possibility of being able to do as much or as little as I want and being self paced I can potentially finish quicker. 

So at this point if anyone possibly has some guidance for a degree path for my remaining UL credits if I do end up at EC it would be much appreciated. I’d like to get an idea if it makes sense to pay out of pocket for some SDC courses to knock out more. If anyone knows if any of the Davar courses will transfer into a degree in business there that would help too. Would the BS in Business or BPS in Business and Management be better as far as ease to finish? 

WGU I’m thinking that once my last English comp II class is done I’ll submit my transcripts for evaluation and make my decision but if it makes sense to take 1 or 2 courses at SDC because I won’t be at the max transfer credits let me know. I know that they’re not as generous transfer wise and most likely a lot of what I have on my transcript won’t come in.

Another thing to note is I heavily looked into Ashford since they have a grant program with my company. It would be entirely free which was enticing. I let go of the idea after my initial transcript review just because they had me coming in with 60 credits (this was before my 3 English classes, Finance, and Business Law were added to my transcript) and my graduation date was projected for 2022. I’m thinking of having another review of my transcript now with the additional classes to see if I can get closer to their 75 credit max only because I’m slightly interested again now that they’re transitioning to UofA Global Campus. I think with their 6 week courses I’ll still be over the date I want to graduate. I can’t take more than one course at a time because of my educational reimbursement so there’s no way around that. 

Ive attached my credits so far. Once the grading comes back on my English Comp II class from Sophia I’ll be at 103 credits. Obviously some of those overlap and I don’t expect all of those to transfer in to whatever I choose. Any and all feedback on what I’m thinking through or other school suggestions are welcome. I’m sorry for the novel Blush thanks in advance for reading through all that lol! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rTh_0xD...p=drivesdk
With educational reimbursement WGU is an ideal choice. You can apply and have then evaluate your current credits and see where you stand.  You can also continue to transfer in credits right up until you enroll (but not after, once enrolled no more transfers in).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

With that many alt-credits, the school that would take the most would likely be TESU. If your work is paying for a degree, you can spend that $5200/year on TESU credits, avoid the tuition waiver, and graduate fairly quickly. $5200 would be about 10 credits and you need 16 to avoid the waiver. Depending on exactly how education reimbursement works (is it per calendar year or per 12 months?) with your employer, you could easily graduate by next December at little/no cost to you.

EC is harder to plan for because they aren't as transparent and they don't accept as many transfer courses as TESU does.

WGU only brings in a max of 90 transfer credits so you'd still have to complete 30 with them. It's completely doable, with that many credits, to graduate in only one term so that's definitely something to consider.

Personally, I would probably apply to both TESU and WGU, see which one works best as far as credits brought in, and go from there.
Education reimbursement is per calendar year. So essentially if I start late in the year and get reimbursed before December it’ll reset itself in January. I’m a little late in the year for WGU since the terms are 6 months and I would finish my term in early 2021. I’d definitely have to finish in 1 term or else I probably won’t have reimbursement till the following year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you looked at UMPI? They offer a competency based education platform called YourPace. You move at your pace. The terms are 8 weeks long and cost $1400. They are pretty generous with credit transfers. You need to complete 30 credits (25%) at UMPI. They offer several business bachelor's degree options. Send me a PM and I'll show you where you can see their general education requirements (make sure your account is set up for responses). It's 40 credits and a great deal of it can come from Sophia. they do have a limit of 30 ACE credits to be transferred, but you may want to contact them and see if this is a rule that has any leeway.

The only thing that jumps out at me looking through your credits is that they do require a language. Currently, they only offer French through YourPace, however you can transfer in a language.

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-man...minor.aspx

(08-25-2020, 03:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: With that many alt-credits, the school that would take the most would likely be TESU. If your work is paying for a degree, you can spend that $5200/year on TESU credits, avoid the tuition waiver, and graduate fairly quickly. $5200 would be about 10 credits and you need 16 to avoid the waiver. Depending on exactly how education reimbursement works (is it per calendar year or per 12 months?) with your employer, you could easily graduate by next December at little/no cost to you.

EC is harder to plan for because they aren't as transparent and they don't accept as many transfer courses as TESU does.

WGU only brings in a max of 90 transfer credits so you'd still have to complete 30 with them. It's completely doable, with that many credits, to graduate in only one term so that's definitely something to consider.

Personally, I would probably apply to both TESU and WGU, see which one works best as far as credits brought in, and go from there.

This holds true for a liberal arts degree. The OP doesn't have many business credits. Yes, the OP has a high number of credits, but they're mostly liberal arts and no upper levels. EC is going to require a good number of ULs. TESU is more liberal with ULs. Both have business degrees and are structured with requirements - a bit different than a liberal arts degree. SDC offers a lot of business courses including ULs.
I would recommend doing either of the following, 1) a one and done school - example, WGU for the BSBA and MBA or MSML
2) TESU will accept a majority of your courses, since you have reimbursement you just need to take 2 courses from them
Once you get the BSBA in whichever area of study you want, you can go to WGU for the Masters - Another reason is, you can take 9 credits this year and 9 credits the following year, you won't have to pay the residency waiver fee, and get an additional associates or certs free.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
How feasible is it for me to work on SDC or Davar while taking courses at TESU? Just to get the ball rolling. I think I remembered their terms are 12 weeks long but what’s a manageable amount of credits to take in a term? I work 40+ hours with a busy kids sport life but working from home right now gives me a decent amount of time to focus on studying. I’m probably currently doing anywhere from 3-5hrs a day during the week and more than that on weekends when possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It all depends, I would not recommend doing any TESU courses while working on Study.com... you should do all your study.com courses before starting on your TESU courses unless there is a reason you want to do them both at the same time. My recommendation is to slowly get this done by completing all NON TESU classes first and then work on the final TESU courses.

If you don't want to pay the residency waiver and use the tuition assistance, taking 16-18 credits with TESU isn't all that bad of an idea, you can get the Associates along with the Bachelors free if you ever wanted. Here's more info: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid316304

My suggestion is if you're going that route, do all the Study.com courses and transfer them into TESU
Take three easy courses that you know you will need in one semester, see previous link
Then take the final 3 courses at TESU to finish off the degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-25-2020, 03:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: WGU only brings in a max of 90 transfer credits so you'd still have to complete 30 with them. It's completely doable, with that many credits, to graduate in only one term so that's definitely something to consider.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but where do you find information about the maximum of 90 transfer units to WGU? Does this apply to all of the undergraduate schools and degrees? (I'm asking because I'm hoping to transfer in 93 credits for the B.S. in Computer Science, and I've seen several people mention the 90 unit max, but I haven't been able to find the details about it on the WGU site.) Thanks for your response!
(08-25-2020, 08:15 PM)DeterminedDad Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 03:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: WGU only brings in a max of 90 transfer credits so you'd still have to complete 30 with them. It's completely doable, with that many credits, to graduate in only one term so that's definitely something to consider.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but where do you find information about the maximum of 90 transfer units to WGU? Does this apply to all of the undergraduate schools and degrees? (I'm asking because I'm hoping to transfer in 93 credits for the B.S. in Computer Science, and I've seen several people mention the 90 unit max, but I haven't been able to find the details about it on the WGU site.) Thanks for your response!

It doesn't appear to be set in stone anywhere that the general public can read (I mean, from the site alone, you would guess that they don't accept any ACE credits at all; only university credit). However, it's apparently policy that they don't generally transfer in AOS classes - only general ed ones. Since general eds make up 60-90 credits in a given degree that is the maximum credits that they will apply to a given program. 

It would be nice if they put this somewhere but I guess they don't have enough people wanting to transfer in large amounts of credits for it to be worth updating the site with that info?
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • DeterminedDad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 78 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 578 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 251 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 961 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 378 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,096 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 222 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 450 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 337 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1