Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bals how long to finish?
Idreamofadegree Wrote:How did you get through the TEEX courses so fast?!?  It's taking me forever to get through the classes.  Sad

Hey, I noticed you did two of the three FREE credits from Sophia.org, are you not going to complete the College Success for 1 elective credit?  When you finish your free Sophia course, you would have gotten a coupon for $50 off the next course, the College success is $49.   And to answer your question to get past the TEEX and other free courses faster... Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid292872
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cookderosa
(07-26-2019, 07:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Idreamofadegree Wrote:How did you get through the TEEX courses so fast?!?  It's taking me forever to get through the classes.  Sad

Hey, I noticed you did two of the three FREE credits from Sophia.org, are you not going to complete the College Success for 1 elective credit?  When you finish your free Sophia course, you would have gotten a coupon for $50 off the next course, the College success is $49.   And to answer your question to get past the TEEX and other free courses faster... Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid292872

I didn't do the student success yet one because I signed up for the special Sophia was running where you got 3 classes for 297.  I don't think Sophia will let you do 2 discounts at once and I'm not done with the 3 classes yet.  

I did the 2 free courses last year (back when I was still stuck in "lurking" mode and not in the "just do it and get started" mode. I don't think the Student Success class was offered then, and I don't recall ever getting a $50 off coupon back then either.....but, that's neither here nor there now.  Now I'm up for taking anything I can as cheaply as I can...just don't think I can do 2 discounts at once through Sophia.  I'll tackle the Student Success course as soon as I complete the others.

I'm going to go check out the link you provided!  Thanks for that.  I'll post back once I take a look.
Completed:
The Institues-Insurance Ethics (2cr)                          
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
CSMLearn- CSMLearn Course (3cr)
TEEX- Cybersecurity 101, 201, 301 (11cr)
Let me just correct one thing - the average person can NOT just take a CLEP exam cold. That is utter nonsense. When I earned my degree at TESU, I used a lot of CLEP and DSST because at that time, ACE providers weren't here. There was no Studycom, Straighterline, Sophia, TEEX, etc. The ACE guys used now are new kids on the block- the "regulars" from my early days here are mostly long gone, but this board used to consist of 100% CLEP, DSST, and Excelsior testers - that's just the way it was. Any member here who earned their degree from the big 3 before 2010 likely tested out of the entire thing. The residency requirement used to be zero, so testing out of a degree was the norm at that time. This community (and Instantcert flashcards) were created to help each other study for and pass those exams. That's the purpose of Specific Exam Feedback folder. Literally.
And I assure you, when you're taking 20+ CLEP/DSST tests, there were plenty of people failing exams.

Sure, you might be able to pass an exam, maybe even 2-3 "cold" (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is a reading comp test, so that's a slam dunk- foreign language for anyone bilingual is a slam dunk, if you've already learned math, the lower maths are a slam dunk) but "lots of people" are not taking or passing exams without studying. You need to study and memorize. Some exams are bigger than others, but if you go into the Specific Exam Feedback, build a study plan and use InstantCert for 2-3 weeks, you can do it. There is an old thread for posting when you achieved a high score using "only IC" which is to say no outside sources. It can certainly be done.
(07-29-2019, 07:13 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Let me just correct one thing - the average person can NOT just take a CLEP exam cold.  That is utter nonsense.  When I earned my degree at TESU, I used a lot of CLEP and DSST because at that time, ACE providers weren't here.  There was no Studycom, Straighterline, Sophia, TEEX, etc.  The ACE guys used now are new kids on the block- the "regulars" from my early days here are mostly long gone, but this board used to consist of 100% CLEP, DSST, and Excelsior testers - that's just the way it was.  Any member here who earned their degree from the big 3 before 2010 likely tested out of the entire thing.  The residency requirement used to be zero, so testing out of a degree was the norm at that time.   This community (and Instantcert flashcards) were created to help each other study for and pass those exams.  That's the purpose of Specific Exam Feedback folder.  Literally.
And I assure you, when you're taking 20+ CLEP/DSST tests, there were plenty of people failing exams.

Sure, you might be able to pass an exam, maybe even 2-3 "cold" (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is a reading comp test, so that's a slam dunk- foreign language for anyone bilingual is a slam dunk, if you've already learned math, the lower maths are a slam dunk) but "lots of people" are not taking or passing exams without studying.  You need to study and memorize.  Some exams are bigger than others, but if you go into the Specific Exam Feedback, build a study plan and use InstantCert for 2-3 weeks, you can do it.  There is an old thread for posting when you achieved a high score using "only IC" which is to say no outside sources.  It can certainly be done.

You are right. I guess I exaggerated a little bit. But it all depends on the person and your prior knowledge and what skills and knowledge you use at your day job. I was just looking at old posts where I saw people taking multiple cleps in one day and didn't factor in the studying that went into it.

But I still by the fact that if you have extensive prior knowledge on a subject and are near a test center, CLEP could be the fastest and easiest way to get credit.

I'm thinking of my brother who is an amazing test taker. He passed the computer clep with 75 for absolutely no studying and only signed up the test 2 hours before taking it. He wasn't even trying he best, since wasn't enrolled in school so didn't care about his score. I have a feeling he could pass multiple cleps cold, that definitely is not the case for everyone.
(07-29-2019, 09:06 PM)natshar Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 07:13 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Let me just correct one thing - the average person can NOT just take a CLEP exam cold.  That is utter nonsense.  When I earned my degree at TESU, I used a lot of CLEP and DSST because at that time, ACE providers weren't here.  There was no Studycom, Straighterline, Sophia, TEEX, etc.  The ACE guys used now are new kids on the block- the "regulars" from my early days here are mostly long gone, but this board used to consist of 100% CLEP, DSST, and Excelsior testers - that's just the way it was.  Any member here who earned their degree from the big 3 before 2010 likely tested out of the entire thing.  The residency requirement used to be zero, so testing out of a degree was the norm at that time.   This community (and Instantcert flashcards) were created to help each other study for and pass those exams.  That's the purpose of Specific Exam Feedback folder.  Literally.

Sure, you might be able to pass an exam, maybe even 2-3 "cold" (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is a reading comp test, so that's a slam dunk- foreign language for anyone bilingual is a slam dunk, if you've already learned math, the lower maths are a slam dunk) but "lots of people" are not taking or passing exams without studying.  You need to study and memorize.  Some exams are bigger than others, but if you go into the Specific Exam Feedback, build a study plan and use InstantCert for 2-3 weeks, you can do it.  There is an old thread for posting when you achieved a high score using "only IC" which is to say no outside sources.  It can certainly be done.

You are right. I guess I exaggerated a little bit. But it all depends on the person and your prior knowledge and what skills and knowledge you use at your day job. I was just looking at old posts where I saw people taking multiple cleps in one day and didn't factor in the studying that went into it.

But I still by the fact that if you have extensive prior knowledge on a subject and are near a test center, CLEP could be the fastest and easiest way to get credit.

I'm thinking of my brother who is an amazing test taker. He passed the computer clep with 75 for absolutely no studying and only signed up the test 2 hours before taking it. He wasn't even trying he best, since wasn't enrolled in school so didn't care about his score. I have a feeling he could pass multiple cleps cold, that definitely is not the case for everyone.

Since we're chatting about it - 60+ scores using only IC https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ng-Only-IC

I would have to go back and add it up, but I did about 60-80 credits in 6 months using CLEP/DSST. I'm not a good test-taker, and not strong at memorizing, still it's how I earned most of my degree. It is fast, and it is (currently) cheap, so I'm absolutely a fan.
My kids have not used CLEP nearly to the extent that I did, and that's mainly because we were "slow" schooling - they were earning high school credit while earning college credit, so it made more sense for us to use the ACE programs.

BTW, 75 is amazing. Nearly a perfect score. I believe my highest score was mid-60s.
At the time that I did the BALS I received a few credits for past CC work and prior learning, which ended up being around 30 credits when all was said and done. I did the last 90 credits within 9 months from start to convocation.

That said, I was studying 14 hours a day sometimes and was not employed at the time so this is not representative of most people's lives.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,162 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,760 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,710 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 778 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 867 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Finish! 70 years later - 88 year old grandpa bjcheung77 2 763 12-29-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Long-term Salaries after Graduation smartdegree 1 688 11-30-2021, 01:41 AM
Last Post: jch
  Does anyone regret their BALS? Nadiv10 3 678 09-21-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  BALS degree at TSU LokiBear 2 842 02-19-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Short Hiatus to Long Sabbatical & Advice for Pre-Health Fields... bjcheung77 3 1,060 05-18-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: ctcarl