Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Questions.
I agree with PrettyFlyforaChiGuy that you should incorporate learning anything you need to know for the GED/HS Diploma into college studies if they match up well.

If you really want the HS Diploma, find the cheapest possible plan and do that. There's nothing that says you need a particular one, and it need not be expensive. Penn Foster is like $1000. Excel High School is $100/mo and you go as fast as you want.

If you haven't thought about skipping the diploma and just going straight to the GED, you can do that. It's pretty cheap, especially if you don't need the classes to pass. They are 4 separate exams, and you can just go sign up and take them whenever you feel ready. So you could decide to do the math first (since it sounds like you're good at math), go online to Khan Academy to start studying (if you need it), and then maybe do ModernStates to get your free CLEP exam vouchers as well. Do College Math, then College Algebra, then Precalc if you want. Make sure you get receipts from the testing center for fees, submit them to ModernStates when you're done, then go take the GED Math exam. Then on to the next subject. You'll get college credit at the same time that you're getting your GED, for minimal money.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-13-2019, 02:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree with PrettyFlyforaChiGuy that you should incorporate learning anything you need to know for the GED/HS Diploma into college studies if they match up well.

If you really want the HS Diploma, find the cheapest possible plan and do that.  There's nothing that says you need a particular one, and it need not be expensive.  Penn Foster is like $1000. Excel High School is $100/mo and you go as fast as you want.

If you haven't thought about skipping the diploma and just going straight to the GED, you can do that.  It's pretty cheap, especially if you don't need the classes to pass.  They are 4 separate exams, and you can just go sign up and take them whenever you feel ready.  So you could decide to do the math first (since it sounds like you're good at math), go online to Khan Academy to start studying (if you need it), and then maybe do ModernStates to get your free CLEP exam vouchers as well.  Do College Math, then College Algebra, then Precalc if you want.  Make sure you get receipts from the testing center for fees, submit them to ModernStates when you're done, then go take the GED Math exam. Then on to the next subject. You'll get college credit at the same time that you're getting your GED, for minimal money.
That's exactly what I was thinking, because of excel high school's $100 dollar course a month while you could go at your own pace.

I like studying from various free online courses and was looking at coursera yesterday besides alternative options before I had something to do and fell asleep after studying for most of the day. (I woke up at about 2 a.m while I still haven't finished a list for another and need to get it done by around 6 a.m. (Currently 5 a.m.))

I was planning to focus only on earning credits/learning before I enroll and change my focus based on the situation at the time. I.e if I had 114 credits more or less I would consider enrolling in cosc for general studies in computer science in an optimistic situation while enrolled in excel for the diploma, but it would become *nullified if It wasn't up to par.

So, I keep in general overall consideration the list of courses given for that by cosc. (Had the list completely typed so you could see, but the page refreshed after not coming back for so long.)

I'll inevitably deviate to study other courses such as my sore spots as recommended and other topics in the same line.

I'm very skeptical if you could learn everything needed to do your best with a score of at least 70 or whatever standard used from a single course leading to a clep test and don't officially start a course to learn a course until I've some familiarity with the topic.

But I truly do love studying and don't mind spending time every day.
If you were interested in your GED if you got high enough scores you could college credit for it. The GED itself is worth up to 10 ACE credits if you scored high enough.
(06-13-2019, 09:52 AM)natshar Wrote: If you were interested in your GED if you got high enough scores you could college credit for it. The GED itself is worth up to 10 ACE credits if you scored high enough.

That's a really interesting piece of information. I never paid attention to the ged as I thought the high school diploma was better, but there's more to it than just a direct differentiation. Thank you for providing another thing to consider.
The GED is fine if you don't plan to go into the military, and some law enforcement agencies don't take GEDs unless you have credits from an accredited college.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-14-2019, 05:02 PM)sanantone Wrote: The GED is fine if you don't plan to go into the military, and some law enforcement agencies don't take GEDs unless you have credits from an accredited college.
There's a lot less option restrictions than I thought... 

It's truly worth considering now and later, but I think I should focus now on raising my ability more in a specific profession for my goal while stabilizing overall quality of work. Truly, thanks again. Though it may sound repetitive saying it so many times.
The GED college credit works like this:

There are 4 tests (math, science, English, social studies) You have to pass all 4 tests to get the GED. If you score a certain score slightly higher than passing on certain subjects you get "college ready" which basically means you can head straight to college level work and not take remedial work. Many students especially ones at community colleges start at lower levels to work their way up to college level, practically in math.

If you score an even higher score you get college credit. Note, this is for each test. So you could get college credit for math and none for science. If you get high scores on all 4 parts of the ged you can up to 10 credits (3 math, 3 social studies, 3 science, 1 English).

The thing is colleges can do what they want and I'm not sure if many colleges will grant credit for a GED. However, the big 3 will and I'm guessing WGU would too, but I don't know if that is confirmed. If you planning on going anywhere besides the big 3/WGU, you likely won't get credit but you never know until you try.

I agree with the others take one step at a time. If you are going the GED route focus on that, however you could take CLEPs to prepare for each subject test while you are at it and the knowledge is fresh.

http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...CE=1008367
The GED will also cost you about $120, depending on where you live. You could conceivably pass all of the tests in a single day, and be done vs. many months of a HS diploma.

And, if you get college credit on top of it, then it really won't matter whether you get the diploma or GED. Just like an AA becomes unimportant when you get a BA. And a MA trumps a BA. Once you get that higher degree, everything else becomes moot.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-14-2019, 06:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The GED will also cost you about $120, depending on where you live.  You could conceivably pass all of the tests in a single day, and be done vs. many months of a HS diploma.

And, if you get college credit on top of it, then it really won't matter whether you get the diploma or GED.  Just like an AA becomes unimportant when you get a BA.  And a MA trumps a BA.  Once you get that higher degree, everything else becomes moot.
I understand. Going such a route could save a lot of time and money (In the possibility I take more than a month to get the diploma after enrollment.) that could be used to study other things while I would only need to brush up social studies and english mostly in preparation. 

While it wouldn't make too much difference in the future if I had the plan to further my studies. Taking a variety of clep tests or dsst's during this time would give me the confidence and proper preparation for a higher possibility at achieving such a goal.

Rather than just spending more time going to a school and I could just almost immediately head to get the degree. So, this time could just be focused solely on earning credits for college overall and learning without needing to do some of the high school credit courses otherwise.

I plan to go to Charter Oak State College for online courses, but I've to check when they're not busy if they allow for a general studies computer science degree to be completed online or I'll readjust.

Based on this reasoning and my consistency I should be able to get a degree sooner than the two years I had thought of.

Remarkable, I already thought it was the best plan, but there were still other possibilities. 

Again, I'm grateful as due.
(06-15-2019, 02:06 AM)T321 Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The GED will also cost you about $120, depending on where you live.  You could conceivably pass all of the tests in a single day, and be done vs. many months of a HS diploma.

And, if you get college credit on top of it, then it really won't matter whether you get the diploma or GED.  Just like an AA becomes unimportant when you get a BA.  And a MA trumps a BA.  Once you get that higher degree, everything else becomes moot.
I understand. Going such a route could save a lot of time and money (In the possibility I take more than a month to get the diploma after enrollment.) that could be used to study other things while I would only need to brush up social studies and english mostly in preparation. 

While it wouldn't make too much difference in the future if I had the plan to further my studies. Taking a variety of clep tests or dsst's during this time would give me the confidence and proper preparation for a higher possibility at achieving such a goal.

Rather than just spending more time going to a school and I could just almost immediately head to get the degree. So, this time could just be focused solely on earning credits for college overall and learning without needing to do some of the high school credit courses otherwise.

I plan to go to Charter Oak State College for online courses, but I've to check when they're not busy if they allow for a general studies computer science degree to be completed online or I'll readjust.

Based on this reasoning and my consistency I should be able to get a degree sooner than the two years I had thought of.

Remarkable, I already thought it was the best plan, but there were still other possibilities. 

Again, I'm grateful as due.

Charter Oak is not the best choice for a computer science degree since your major will be in general studies, and your concentration will be in computer science studies. WGU and TESU have computer science programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,324 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,759 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 779 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 423 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,332 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 1,814 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions about TEEX’s Death Investigation course Michelle779 3 1,708 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  New to the forum, couple questions. ARhead 29 4,474 03-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ARhead