Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit
(01-14-2018, 02:38 PM)benon Wrote: I know i have asked many questions on many different facets of education and options i am looking at, but i really need help developing a plan to get my bachelors in IT, i am military and have few college credits is there a way to help me develop a cost efficient plan, noted that i expect to be deployed this year but i don't know for how long or where as of yet

You need to start a new thread for this, you're replying to someone else's thread about something else entirely.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
Looking at all the different spreadsheets you have here, you have Chinese Lit. on the BA in English listed as costing $534. But it's a 3 credit course and BYU charges $574/credit hour. Unless I'm missing something obvious?

Nevermind, I found the right course. But it is $564 instead of $534 now (plus textbook).
Thanks for sharing this post!
Due to degree requirements and course offerings changing constantly, closing the dropbox as those are out of date.
If you need a sample plan, please search the threads for possible spreadsheets and use them for reference.
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Computer Science & Math (2019 graduation...)
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)~
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc~
(08-03-2017, 06:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yet again the links are broken, I'm adding it to drop box for the Degree Plan Template Links
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9766o66mkeh1w...xnGPa?dl=0

The "other" forum has this Beginners Guide.  It's also on the wiki (well, the majority of it anyways).
http://www.degreeinfo.com/general-distan...dit-3.html

The dropbox link for the degree plans has suddenly gone 404 not found, do we have a new link somewhere? thank you for your help!

(07-02-2018, 11:48 PM)Mab81 Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 06:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yet again the links are broken, I'm adding it to drop box for the Degree Plan Template Links
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9766o66mkeh1w...xnGPa?dl=0

The "other" forum has this Beginners Guide.  It's also on the wiki (well, the majority of it anyways).
http://www.degreeinfo.com/general-distan...dit-3.html

The dropbox link for the degree plans has suddenly gone 404 not found, do we have a new link somewhere? thank you for your help!

I would also appreciate updated links!
Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Management 06/2014
Georgia Institute of Technology - Master of Science Computer Science (01/2015-05/2015)
Missouri State University - Master of Science Project Management (05/2015-Present)
Hello Everyone!

I have been getting PM's lately without much info but the basic "I need help to start my degree!". So...
I am deciding to make it more streamlined for either myself, youself, other members of the forum to help you.
I started making a minor change in answering posts July 1...
Here is my Q/A template.  Copy/paste and start a new thread!

---
1) Basic info about yourself: A mini introduction and degree you are looking for!
Have you read the Beginners Guide? http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/The_Basic_Approach - Y/N
Have you read the Wiki? http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki - Y/N
Do you have any certificates? Credits from previous studies? - Y/N

2) Answer the following questions, so I can better gauge which of the 3 you're looking at - cheap, easy, or fast.
A) Are you close to a testing site for CLEP? How far and how long would it take you to get there and back?
B) Do you have time to study and test at a site or would you rather do everything online for a little extra in price?
C) What is your price range you're looking at for the degree and time you want to set to complete the degree?
D) Are you leaning towards cheap, easy, fast or a combo of them all? Rank them in priority.

3) Have you applied to the school of choice, are you currently enrolled (taking a course)? Y/N
Do you have an academic evaluation? Y/N - If yes, copy/paste the evaluation.
If no, enter all your credits you have completed and note the school/course you took and grade.

4) What exactly are you looking for help with or advice on?  
---

See Example: (This is just a dummy example, for privacy/security, please don't put personal info into your posts)

Hi, I'm bjcheung77.  

I am a janitor by day/stripper by night, I also like to fart often.  I need a degree in Biomedical Systems Engineering as I want to help others once I get my degree. I am into creating Machine Learning AI Robotic systems that can help disabled/handicapped individuals with everyday life. Can you steer me in the right path?

I currently have no credits, no certs, but I am a quick learner/tester.  I have read the Guide, Wiki and am still a bit confused on the process. I am far from a testing site, it takes me at least an hour there and another back, I work full time as a janitor as you know!  I can/want to pay slightly more for online. Currently looking at TESU and want a BS LDAS Biomedical Systems Engineering for under $7-8K, I am leaning towards cheap,easy,fast in that order.

What I need is - advice on - how you created the spreadsheet and how you can "find" those courses to place into the spreadsheet!  I want to customize my own learning if possible. Please provide your advice and recommendations!  

Thanks, Bjcheung77

PS. Please don't tell my significant other I am a stripper by night!  It's a surprise trip I am saving up and paying for!  Janitor jobs don't pay much as you already know.

~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)~
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc~
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • allvia, Bach2Mast, ISKBizz15
Continuation/Update on Question 4: How busy are you? How much time do you have to spend on studying?  Do you have family/kids that you have to attend to?  Have you done a search for answers to your questions on the forum or through a search engine?

I have attached a "My Degree Plan!" spreadsheet template I created last quarter of 2017 to this thread post.   You can be the "active" degree planner for yourself or others, in three easy steps!  If I can plan a degree, so can you!  Steps are actually in the Guide/Wiki and Links as well.  Basically, you have to know what the degree consists of, the 40 courses/120 credits that make up the degree courseload, and where to get the equivalency/transfer info.

1) Create a spreadsheet with course requirements from the degree/school of your choice - Example, TESU BSBA GM
2) On the school and course provider websites, find all relative info - exact course transfers or equivalency exams
3) Enter into each field - all 40 courses from different providers that make up the Lower and Upper-level requirements

Wow! That was it, yes, you're now the best of the best degree planning machine in the world!  High five...*fart*
You are now the degree planning master! *Honorable bow to you, future sensei.*  Yes, the transfer links are in the wiki.
It would be best to search the website yourself for the "master list" of exams, just in case they change the links address.

To further expand on what was mentioned, TESU has links for CLEP/DSST/Saylor equivalencies; On StraighterLine, Study.com, and Saylor, they also have equivalencies showing for TESU.  All you're doing is "finding the right one" and putting the desired course into the AOS (Area of Study) you want, and use the exact equivalencies for required courses that can't be substituted.  That's IT!

For COSC/Excelsior and WGU, it's exactly the same steps.  You would need to find their Master Exam List and Equivalencies PDF or link to download, or it might have a URL/Site of info that can't be downloaded.  Create a spreadsheet of required courses and where you can find exact transfers from.  These are for all types of credit by testing exams or course providers.

Big Note: The spreadsheet attached is for reference only - You can "customize" the My Degree Plan! sheet. StraighterLine no longer provides Upper-Level credits.  Don't forget to use coupons or anything for all the providers you can find, use CLEP/ModernStates or StraighterLine coupons.

A few months ago, before some major changes were made January 1, 2018 - My cousin had an interesting challenge for me and put me up to the task.  They wanted to see template options for Bachelors, Associates, Certificates using the best cheap/easy/fast credits available and using mainly StraighterLine, Study.com and Saylor courses.   It's in THIS file for reference!

Big Note: For "service people" who get FREE CLEP/DSST exams, or individuals who like testing at a test center, I would recommend going through those equivalent courses instead of the ACE options. For individuals strapped for cash in an unknown economy, I would recommend the same or the use of Saylor exams.

And for individuals who want the comfort/luxury of having classes entirely online through ACE methods, cheap/easy/fast - no need to drive to/from a test center, then ACE/NCCRS courses are for you.  This is my method as I live far or have other commitments, I would rather use the extra time working OT to pay for those courses online.

Attached Files
.xlsx   My Degree Plan!.xlsx (Size: 23.68 KB / Downloads: 532)

[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Bach2Mast, ISKBizz15, jeremiah_jn, MahoganySEO
Update FYI: Degreeforum Wiki page has now moved to https://degreeforum.miraheze.org
2019 Goal: TESU BSBA CIS & GM and BALS NSM (CIS/CS UL)
BSBA CIS & GM - Journey & Progress (General Management complete, working on CIS)
BALS NSM & Planning for Masters (BALS complete, going for NSM AOS using CIS/CS UL)

Cert Accounting: Complete (Part of BSBA GM)
ASNSM Comp Sci: Complete (Part of BALS CIS)
ASNSM Math: Remaining - Study.com Calculus

Note: Updating courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki. 
Taking a majority of credits at StraighterLine and Study.com to finish these degrees
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lewis.Yim's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Post #18 is outdated on fees - As of November 2018, for those asking me about the current breakdown of pricing.
Break down of the cost of attending the Big 3 and WGU, this does not include any courses/fees you will need to transfer.

COSC Fees
$50 App fee
$225 Grad fee
$284 Student fee
$70 Tech fee
$2448 Capstone & Cornerstone
$3077 Total
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...t-fees.php

Excelsior Fees
Excelsior Application Fee: None for partnership pricing (SL/Study.com)
Excelsior Capstone Fee: $410/credit
Enrollment/Student Fee: $1095 / $495
Graduation Fee: $495
Total: $3315
https://www.excelsior.edu/costs-and-fina...ergraduate

TESU Fees
$75 App fee
$332 Grad fee
$300 Cornerstone fee
$2200 Residency Waiver
$1098 TESU Capstone
$4005 Total
https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/costs-tuition

WGU IT Undergraduate programs
Tuition $3,225
Resource Fee $145
Program Fee $150
Total: $3520
https://www.wgu.edu/financial-aid-tuitio...grees.html

WGU Business Undergraduate programs
Tuition $3,225
Resource Fee $145
Program Fee $0
Total: $3370
https://www.wgu.edu/financial-aid-tuitio...grees.html

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need an UL English course? Harvard has one cheap! bjcheung77 108 7,572 05-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  College Math CLEP vs. Statistics DSST if not strong in math... S.Tesla 6 131 05-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Local community/state college only accepts 15 credits of CLEP...is this typical? S.Tesla 5 156 05-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TEEX also has new cheap online forensics/law enforcement courses MNomadic 43 2,679 05-22-2019, 05:30 PM
Last Post: tobyisking
  Outcomes by College Major sanantone 8 370 05-21-2019, 01:46 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  DSST Study Guide Info- Sub Abuse & Law Enf law26214 0 49 05-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Last Post: law26214
  Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) Mil0 119 5,584 05-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Mil0
  BS in Psychology - Cheap and Fast (and dirty) turborelaxation 87 3,237 05-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Last Post: LadySearchDog
  College Composition Modular CLEP and Principles of Advance English Composition DSST TacticalTechie 6 2,214 05-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  ISO Free/Fast 1-Credit Hour Arts/Science Course [Excelsior] TheMaskedMutant 5 260 04-30-2019, 06:51 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant