Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginning my journey
Yes. Intro to Psych anywhere will duplicate. But there are plenty of Psych courses at Study.com that don't duplicate.

The one thing that you can do at Study.com that no other provider offers (that I know of - although Khan Academy does it, but they aren't credit-granting): when you take something like Intro to Psych there, virtually every other Psych course you take will already have partial completion of the course. Same with any other course that is similar. Take Intro to Marketing, and your other Marketing and some business courses will be partially done. Accounting, Business, History, etc. All will do this. As you do more courses in that vein, more of other courses will get completed. It will vary to the amounts, but it may be worth it to do it this way.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • coldseal, HistoryMaker, Yenisei
Dfrecore, thanks for all that you contribute here. I rarely talk at all, however, I want to share this. I had just received an email from TESU's Associate Vice President and University Registrar regarding Shmoop courses. I have already graduated and used some Shmoop courses. This is what it said:

"I am contacting you today to let you know that the acceptance of Shmoop courses as transfer credit at Thomas Edison State University has been indefinitely suspended pending further review.

We do not expect this change to affect you as we have no indication that you have taken or are planning to take Shmoop courses.

If you have any questions about how this policy change may affect your program of study, please contact the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services"...

Edit: I have noted this here for the original poster regarding where to take a psychology course. You are right regarding the helpfulness of the overlap at Study.com that keeps a student from repeating the same competency and accelerates completion. I love Study.Com for how it organizes, presents, and delivers its curricula. However, Shmoop also has great courses and the only problem that I see that TESU may have with Shmoop is proctoring. To be fair, if that is the case, many courses from other providers would need the same scrutiny ad barrier. Nonetheless, TESU is no longer accepting Shmoop credit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HistoryMaker's post:
  • coldseal
Well thats a bummer, guess ill move onto my other options as Shmoop wont work anymore.
TESU - BALS 114/120
I am reading more about Modern States and the free CLEP voucher they provide after completing their online courses. How difficult are CLEP exams compared to other sources of credit such as Sophia, Saylor, Study.com ect.

Also, I just learned about Saylor, and their courses are free, you just have to pay a 25$ proctor fee? After looking their courses up on ACE, they don't seem to have to many ACE accredited courses, but does seem worth it for the few they do have.
TESU - BALS 114/120
Saylor has a good chunk of credit approved courses, but some of them show up funny in the ACE database and are harder to find.

Here's a list of all of their courses. Note that some are ACE approved, others are NCCRS (some are both)

https://www.saylor.org/credit/

(And you are correct, you just pay $25 for proctoring)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • coldseal
(05-07-2018, 12:03 AM)coldseal Wrote: I am reading more about Modern States and the free CLEP voucher they provide after completing their online courses. How difficult are CLEP exams compared to other sources of credit such as Sophia, Saylor, Study.com ect.

Also, I just learned about Saylor, and their courses are free, you just have to pay a 25$ proctor fee? After looking their courses up on ACE, they don't seem to have to many ACE accredited courses, but does seem worth it for the few they do have.

I think it has more to do with how good a test taker you are. If you can generally rock multiple choice tests and don't mind the "one final for all the marbles" approach, then you'll probably like CLEP and Saylor. If you don't, then you will probably prefer the online course format at Study.com and Straighterline.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • coldseal, Yenisei
I applied to TESU, and am waiting for Study.com to hopefully accept my Guardian Scholarship. In the meantime, I have finished the following courses, and am a bit lost on what my next courses should be that apply to BALS. I am mostly interested in Philosophy/Psychology/Religion courses. As far as my 1 needed college level math course, is Aleks still an options, I like the Sophia course style, and see they have 1 math course available.

The Institute - ETHICS - Insurance Ethics (2cr)
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr), Ancient Greek Philosophers (3cr)
NFA - Community Safety Educators (1cr)
TEEX - Cybesecurity for Everyone (2cr), Cybesecurity for Business Professionals (2cr), Cybesecurity for IT Professionals (2cr)
Shmoop - History of Technology (3cr) (finished on 5/04/18, not sure if it will be accepted through TESU as I got my acceptance email on 5/10/18)
TESU - BALS 114/120
(05-07-2018, 10:55 AM)jsd Wrote: Saylor has a good chunk of credit approved courses, but some of them show up funny in the ACE database and are harder to find.

Here's a list of all of their courses. Note that some are ACE approved, others are NCCRS (some are both)

https://www.saylor.org/credit/

(And you are correct, you just pay $25 for proctoring)

Hi JSD -  Yes, the ACE database - due to the way they set up the "Alternative Credit Project" - does make you search for all our listings but you can be assured we do not list any on our site that are not approved.  And, in the first part of June - assuming ACE stays on schedule - that database issue should be resolved and all the listings should appear in one place under our profile.

-Jeff Davidson, Saylor Academy

(random fact- my initials are JSD!)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeff Davidson's post:
  • jsd
Thanks everyone for the help so far, this forum has been a huge help, I am finally starting to understand how everywhere works, and am filling out my degree plan a bit more, thought I would update with what I have so far. I'm open to any recommendations to help fill out my plan.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BALS-Psych Concentration - Progress.xlsx (Size: 47.33 KB / Downloads: 2)
TESU - BALS 114/120
[-] The following 1 user Likes coldseal's post:
  • Jeff Davidson
(05-16-2018, 12:16 PM)coldseal Wrote: Thanks everyone for the help so far, this forum has been a huge help, I am finally starting to understand how everywhere works, and am filling out my degree plan a bit more, thought I would update with what I have so far. I'm open to any recommendations to help fill out my plan.

Just an FYI, my spreadsheet is designed so that instead of DONE in the column you're putting it in, you actually put the number of credits there, and remove the number from the other column.  As you go, the number of credits completed adds up, with the other column showing what's left to take.

I also highlight all the way across the completed courses.

Obviously you can do what you want with it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • coldseal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,152 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  My Journey: TESU BSBA Ideas 197 52,604 04-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Last Post: sarg123
  originalamyj Journey to BA in English from TESU originalamyj 40 7,092 03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  My journey to my TESU BSBA degree BearEDU 6 1,710 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Last Post: BearEDU
  Start of my Journey. oniflednitsua 5 1,300 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Graduation Journey Ideas 12 3,003 12-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  DocMarvin's Journey to AA GenStudies and BSAST in Technical Studies docmarvin 25 4,523 11-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  My Journey to TESU BSBA GM - Advice/encouragement welcome! Gymfan15 31 6,828 10-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Hello!Starting at ZERO credits and beginning my journey to a TESU Bachelors Degree. Primus 36 4,199 05-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ALEKS Beginning Algebra OakLakeNC 1 616 09-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Last Post: learflyer