Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being “over-qualified”
Hey all!

Would love some insight from a hiring perspective on when someone appears to be over qualified. If they are perfect outside of having a bachelors degree (which may not be required for the job) would it be better to leave that off a resume for these type of gigs or it doesn’t matter?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(04-13-2020, 07:46 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Hey all!

Would love some insight from a hiring perspective on when someone appears to be over qualified. If they are perfect outside of having a bachelors degree (which may not be required for the job) would it be better to leave that off a resume for these type of gigs or it doesn’t matter?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

That's an interesting question in light of the present economic situation. When hiring picks up, I suspect that there will be a lot of overqualified folks applying for jobs. (That was my experience with the early 90's.)

That said, it really depends on the individual employer. Some might be happy to have an overqualified candidate doing a top-notch job until she or he can find a different job. Other employers might be intimidated with a candidate who has more education that s/he has, or figures you'll leave soon so why bother hiring you. I've seen both situations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
When applying for a position I usually recommend looking at the requirements like it's a rubric for an assignment, conform to those requests by updating your resume/CV to match what it's looking for. An example of overqualified is when it asks for a Bachelors and there is no mention of a preference for a Masters, this is when I would recommend people who hold a Masters in a completely different field to leave it off the plate... The resume/CV is just to get you through the front door, basically, the interview stage is where you stay in or get booted out.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
My other thought was since I'd put everything on my LinkedIn, would they catch that it's missing from the resume if I did choose to leave out the Bachelors?
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(04-14-2020, 05:31 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: My other thought was since I'd put everything on my LinkedIn, would they catch that it's missing from the resume if I did choose to leave out the Bachelors?

This can be a touchy subject. In many cases, overqualified is just a euphemism for "too old."

Outside of ageism, IMO. hiring managers usually don't see a candidate as overqualified because they have a higher academic degree than the req asks for. But they will see a candidate as overqualified if they have significantly more experience than the role requires. This usually happens because they are worried you won't stick around (just there until you find something better), because they are intimidated by your experience, and/or they are concerned that you may take their job (or take their next promotion).

That said, I rarely see the term "overqualified" being used anymore. Likewise for "bad cultural fit." Both terms suggest the possibility of bias or prejudice, so they are being discouraged now. At least in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area.

Then again, some of the bigger tech companies will specifically aim for people who are more qualified than they need. They will try to woo them with better compensation or perks to get them to stick around.

As for adjusting your resume, it is always a good idea to tailor your resume to highlight aspects of your career that are most favorable to the position you're applying to. Just make sure not to embellish. As for comparing to your LinkedIn profile, you need to make sure that your resume doesn't include information that is not listed on LinkedIn, or if you do, it should only be deeper detail rather than new or conflicting information. You should also be prepared to explain any differences, particularly in education. Many recruiters and hiring managers will look up your LinkedIn profile after reviewing your resume to find people you may have in common for backdoor references. So they are likely to notice if there are significant differences.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intel Software Bonus Bundle - FREE (for qualified CPU's) bjcheung77 0 1,711 11-27-2020, 11:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77