Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Degree with hospitality credits?
Hello!

I have 86 community college credits earned in restaurant management and culinary arts programs. Does anyone have any idea as to what degree programs would would be the most transfer friendly for these credits?

Thank you for your help.
I guess it depends on what you want to do. I'd probably just find a school with degree in hospitality management. Since your credits are all from CC's, it should be really easy to transfer. Your main issue is going to be that it sounds like you don't have any GE credits, which you'll need almost anywhere you go.

I would also search the CC website to see if they have articulation agreements with any schools nearby. That will probably be your best bet.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My son is earning his bachelor's degree from COSC in Hospitality and Management. You have to develop it as an individualized study option and you'll work with an advisor developing the courses. It's not hard, but you have to get it approved in advance. You have to submit your rationale for the concentration. In my son's case, he wrote about opening a busines, so they selected several business courses to use (he already had them in his transcript, they moved them around)

You can submit your community college transcripts and they'll do an evaluation. Your lower level courses will end up filling mostly electives, which is fine, but you'll need to take upper level hospitality courses in order to get THAT degree. Here's my son's Concentration Plan of Study:

Individualized Studies

Management/Hospitality

Use this form to list the courses and/or exams that you anticipate using in your 36-credit concentration.

At least 18 of these credits must be at the upper level. Grades of less than "C" are not accepted as part of the concentration.

Principles of Mgmt Straighterline

Organizational Behavior Straighterline

Marketing and Strategy OnlineDegree.com

Business Ethics Straighterline

Small Business Mgmt. Study.com

Hospitality 101 Intro to Hospitality Study.com

Hospitality 301 Hospitality and Marketing Study.com

Hospitality 304 Hotel and Lodging Management Study.com

Hospitality 309 Food and Bev Op Study.com

Hospitality 203 Bar and Bev Mgmt Coopersmith

Culinary 301 Food Styling Coopersmith

Capstone

If you do a search in the forum, I wrote a post called "Hospitality" that will give you a few more course options.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cookderosa's post:
  • RachelB
If it's all Lower Level (100 or 200) and mostly or all or mostly hospitality (no gen eds, English, math, etc.) you might be better off going to a local school with an articulation agreement.
I would apply to the Big 3 and WGU to get an evaluation. If you have taken any StraighterLine/Study.com courses, it's free for Excelsior, and WGU has free applications from time to time... go with the school who gives you the most credits into a program you're interested in.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-18-2019, 12:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: WGU has free applications from time to time...

WGU's "free application this week" has been going for over 2 years now :-P
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(06-18-2019, 12:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would apply to the Big 3 and WGU to get an evaluation.  If you have taken any StraighterLine/Study.com courses, it's free for Excelsior, and WGU has free applications from time to time... go with the school who gives you the most credits into a program you're interested in.

None of these except COSC has a degree that will fit.  You'll lose almost all of your credits going through WGU, and a lot through TESU and EC.

Like Jennifer said, you can either do COSC, or find a school that will use them.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you everyone for your help. I've included my current credits below if anyone has any additional feedback. I've also completed English Comp 1 on SL.

Menu planning and nutrition
Food Fundamentals I
Food and Culture
Dining Room Techniques
Basic Math
Food Production I
Food Fundamentals II
Sanitation/Safety/Equipment
Hospitality Personnel MGMT
Science of Baking
Food Production II
Communication Skills I
Culinary Arts I
Hospitality Accounting
Classical Cuisine
Artistic Display
Into to Wine and Spirits
General Psychology
Employment Seminar
Communication Skills II
Encounters in Humanities
Restaurant Law
Microcomputer Literacy
Culinary Arts II
Purchasing and Cost Control
Classical Cuisine
Garde Manger
Fundamentals of Communication
Public Speaking
Introduction to Sociology
Hospitality Management
Principles of Macroeconomics
Did you look at anything suggested? Like a school that has an articulation with your CC? Or COSC?
(06-18-2019, 11:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Did you look at anything suggested?  Like a school that has an articulation with your CC?  Or COSC?

Yes, I am looking into all suggestions. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 682 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,530 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 642 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,792 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 576 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,954 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 713 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 288 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain