Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best School To Transfer Over 200 credits
New member. Hello! Hoping to gain some insight. I took a lot of extra classes when I went to my community college. Changed majors etc. Looking to transfer those to one of the "BIG 3". I have over 200 credits. Looking for easiest path to BA or BS. I think I would prefer TESU or COSE because Excelsior doesn't seem like it would look legit on a resume. But I'm open to change on that. Any insight would be very appreciated! Thanks!
"Best" is relative! What upper-level credits do you have? Do you have any UL credits at all? What kind of degree are you looking for? Business? BALS? Something technical? Education?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
You might want to be more clear on what you have on the table in terms of credits and what you're looking for. Could you provide us with more details such as your certificates, commitments, experience, etc? The Big 3 are options, then there are the competency based providers such as the ones in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Education
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I don't think I took any upper level classes. I'm just looking to put BA on my resume. I don't really need it. I'm in an electrical appentiship program, but thought having one might be a nice backup. I've attached my unofficial transcript if someone was really willing to dig in a little. Mostly math and science credits.

Attached Files
.pdf   Unofficial Transcript - Redacted.pdf (Size: 165.2 KB / Downloads: 63)
Man, you got a lot of nice courses!

TESU you could do BA in Computer Science and you already got so much math that you would get an associate in math for no extra work.  The problem is recent changes in Study.com courses Discrete Math, OS and Computer Arch. so not sure this is a good option.

Otherwise, maybe do Purdue Global Professional studies.
https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...eeplantext

That degree, you got nearly all your Core Requirements done. I would get the W3schools PHP cert for some quick UL credits, and then you are ready to start at Purdue. 

Check out this thread for info on this degree:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ity-Global

I would rep that Purdue degree like it's a computer technology degree on your resume.

It would seem like a waste to get a generic liberal studies degree, but you could make some plans for those too.

I suggest making some spreadsheets of various degree plans options.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
@spencydub, did you get an AA/AS/AAS from that community college? Those are quarter credits, so technically, 200 quarter credits are 133.33 semester credits. You have enough for one or two Associates degrees as there are no upper level credits. I suggest getting the Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis in Engineering or Math, whichever they allow. Using the same credits, ladder up to an UMPI BAS with an MIS concentration... take any remaining lower level with Sophia.org/Study.com, any upper level requirements should be done at UMPI to finish off the degree requirements and residency credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Pierpont BOG AAS (Free), then I agree with bjcheung77 on UMPI BAS, However, since you're in a electrical apprenticeship program, I'd recommend Project Management minor (extremely practical in the trades). You would need the foreign language credit but that can be done easily through InstantCert's Spanish I.  UMPI is a state school as well, so that should make you as comfortable as TESU or COSC does; also can be done quickly and quite affordable compared to the other two. I'm sure the UMPI 'pros' here will chime in if you're missing something that I'm not aware of.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Pikachu
If you've only got LL credit, I definitely wouldn't choose COSC. They'll want 30 UL credits and they're very picky about which credit providers you can use. A math degree at TESU could be a good option, but you'd still need 15 UL credits of math (all of yours would transfer in as LL) and that can be tricky: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

Purdue Global is a good option if you just "want a degree", but the available concentrations might or might not work for you; I personally probably wouldn't do one without a concentration. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid347296 So, they probably wouldn't be a first choice for me, not with other options.

I agree with the suggestions to get a Pierpont degree if you don't already have an Associate: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

For UMPI, if you have an AAS (from Pierpont or elsewhere), definitely go for the BAS instead of the BLS. Depending on how many credits you have and where they slot in, you might be able to get the MIS AND Project Management minors for approximately the same amount of work as just the one. UMPI requires that you take at least 30 credits, or 10 classes, with them (most students here are able to do this in 2 or 3 terms, sometimes 4).

Each of these minors is 6 classes, but both together are only 11 because BUS141 is required for both. If this sounds like a good plan for you, I would NOT take Project Management at Sophia.org because it actually makes the Project Management minor at UMPI more difficult. But definitely use Sophia.org to fill out any other GEC (gen ed) requirements that you might be missing. Use InstantCert for Spanish I.

The biggest drawback of UMPI to some students is that most classes are passed with a single project or paper. There are a few exams, but most classes do not have these. If you'd prefer exams to papers, UMPI might not be the right school for you.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Pikachu
(12-21-2021, 08:36 AM)allvia Wrote: Pierpont BOG AAS (Free), then I agree with bjcheung77 on UMPI BAS, However, since you're in a electrical apprenticeship program, I'd recommend Project Management minor (extremely practical in the trades). You would need the foreign language credit but that can be done easily through InstantCert's Spanish I.  UMPI is a state school as well, so that should make you as comfortable as TESU or COSC does; also can be done quickly and quite affordable compared to the other two. I'm sure the UMPI 'pros' here will chime in if you're missing something that I'm not aware of.

I agree. An associate degree isn't necessary to get into UMPI though so if they don't want to do the paperwork for Pierpont then they could skip it. The BLS at UMPI is what I was going to suggest. Take Spanish 1 on InstantCert and then apply to UMPI for the January term.
(12-21-2021, 09:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 08:36 AM)allvia Wrote: Pierpont BOG AAS (Free), then I agree with bjcheung77 on UMPI BAS, However, since you're in a electrical apprenticeship program, I'd recommend Project Management minor (extremely practical in the trades). You would need the foreign language credit but that can be done easily through InstantCert's Spanish I.  UMPI is a state school as well, so that should make you as comfortable as TESU or COSC does; also can be done quickly and quite affordable compared to the other two. I'm sure the UMPI 'pros' here will chime in if you're missing something that I'm not aware of.

I agree. An associate degree isn't necessary to get into UMPI though so if they don't want to do the paperwork for Pierpont then they could skip it. The BLS at UMPI is what I was going to suggest. Take Spanish 1 on InstantCert and then apply to UMPI for the January term.

I was under the impression that the UMPI BAS allowed for more use of 'miscellaneous' credits (non Gen Eds, that the OP already has) vs the UMPI BLS. Is this not the case? I would assume that the OP wants to obtain as few new credits as possible, therefore maxing out what they already have.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,088 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 198 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,104 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,463 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,829 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 894 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 979 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 671 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,072 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,593 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic