Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best order for Clep business/finance tests?
I have no money for school until tax return time, so, trying to plug away at Modern States. (How in the world have they not had 10,000 tests yet? They have 100,000 members. I don't get it. They have to be almost done with free testing.)

Anyway, here are the CLEP's I'm hoping to take. I just finished up a couple Straighterline courses and I'm currently working on the Sociology CLEP review on Modern States. 

Principles of Microeconomics
Financial Accounting
Information Systems
Introductory Business Law
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing

Does order matter for any of these? I have limited familiarity with business, I was an hourly manager and have done some reports and inventory reviews and that sort of thing, but, nothing real in depth. A lot of this will be new material for me.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
I would say that these don't have a lot in common, so order doesn't matter much (probably macro before micro, but that's about it).

I think Marketing & Management are considered the easiest out of these, so you might want to take those first, but other than that, it's up to you.

Also, Modern States is test prep more than it's "learn everything you need to take this test", so you might want to supplement with some other materials.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
(01-05-2019, 02:20 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that these don't have a lot in common, so order doesn't matter much (probably macro before micro, but that's about it).

I think Marketing & Management are considered the easiest out of these, so you might want to take those first, but other than that, it's up to you.

Also, Modern States is test prep more than it's "learn everything you need to take this test", so you might want to supplement with some other materials.

I was planning to study through modern states and flash cards on instantcert then take a Peterson's practice test. My library offers them for free through Gale Testing and Education Resources. My plan was that if I got below a 70 on the first practice test that I would go ahead and do the CLEP prep on Study.com as well and then try again. Is that probably adequate?
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
I received a voucher from Modern States just a few weeks ago. As far as I know there're still available. 

I would probably work through those CLEP's in order of difficulty since there's really not a lot of overlap. Financial Accounting and Business law are both fairly tough.
TESU BSBA Accounting 2019 (In progress)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AMRH94's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
Accounting, macroeconomics, and marketing are all available through onlinedegree.com and it only costs $9. Might be good to do those first through them. Then with the knowledge base move on to the microecon clep using modern states.

EDIT: Never mind, I saw you are going to WGU and they don't accept onlinedegree.com.
(01-04-2019, 10:33 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I have no money for school until tax return time, so, trying to plug away at Modern States. (How in the world have they not had 10,000 tests yet? They have 100,000 members. I don't get it. They have to be almost done with free testing.)

Anyway, here are the CLEP's I'm hoping to take. I just finished up a couple Straighterline courses and I'm currently working on the Sociology CLEP review on Modern States. 

Financial Accounting
Information Systems
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing

Does order matter for any of these? I have limited familiarity with business, I was an hourly manager and have done some reports and inventory reviews and that sort of thing, but, nothing real in depth. A lot of this will be new material for me.

I'm in a Business Admin program at my local community college and I will probably transfer to Cal State Fullerton or go the TESU route. I've taken Financial and Managerial Accounting, Information Systems, Business Law and Macroeconomics. 
Business law was easy I took it in a six week class. Maybe you can aim to knock that one out plus your sociology clep which I don't think it would be hard. Marketing and Management might be in the same easy category as well but I'm not sure since I haven't taken any course in that. 
After taking my Financial Accounting class I started to think that the Accounting classes were among the, if not the most important classes in a Business Degree. I recently watched a Video were Warren Buffet stated the same thing.  
I personally would take that class in a classroom setting with a good teacher. I was not even aware that there was a CLEP for accounting and I'm a bit curious on what the test looks like. Part of the final for my Financial accounting class was a bunch of transactions which we had to categorize as expenses, revenue and such and put together financial statement reports. 
I won't be taking any more accounting classes until I transfer into Cal State or go the TESU route. I've read that Cal State Fullerton Accounting is a bit challenging so I'm going to be reviewing my past accounting classes plus looking into the later accounting classes in the meantime. 
Someone on Reddit suggested this website to review accounting    https://farhatlectures.com/introductory-...ccounting/
The slides are similar to what my professor used in the classroom.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rustydroid's post:
  • Jenniferinfl
(01-04-2019, 10:33 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I have no money for school until tax return time, so, trying to plug away at Modern States. (How in the world have they not had 10,000 tests yet? They have 100,000 members. I don't get it. They have to be almost done with free testing.)

Financial Accounting
Information Systems
Principles of Management
Principles of Marketing

I've taken all those except for Account. Management, Marketing, Information Systems, and Macroeconomics can all be passed with around 2-3 hours of studying Instacert flashcards. Accounting, Business Law, and Microecon will take a little bit more studying, as the answers aren't really intuitive. Maybe 5 hours for those more difficult courses, not much more. Microecon overlaps alot with Macro, so take Macro first. There's also some overlap between Management and Marketing. Both of those tests are so easy that it won't matter.

If I were you, I would study the Instacert flashcards for Management or Marketing for 2-3 hours, go take the test, and then calibrate your studying from there. Modern States is very lax about giving you a voucher to retake a failed CLEP test, though College Board requires you to wait 3 months between retakes.
[-] The following 2 users Like alexf.1990's post:
  • Jenniferinfl, mzcutie85
Make sure to use as many free resources as possible, such as your library.
You should group the courses with the ones that overlap most.
If I was doing this, I would work on it this way.

First set: Info Systems, Business Law
Second set: Marketing, Management
Third set: Macro, Micro, Financial Accounting
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-06-2019, 10:59 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Make sure to use as many free resources as possible, such as your library.
You should group the courses with the ones that overlap most.
If I was doing this, I would work on it this way.

First set:  Info Systems, Business Law
Second set: Marketing, Management
Third set:  Macro, Micro, Financial Accounting

I've taken all of these as either CLEP or another course, and there is virtually no overlap between any of them.  Minor bit with Macro and Micro at the beginning.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Macroeconomics and Social Sciences and History go well together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 243 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 441 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 673 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 516 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 951 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,266 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone Do IQ Tests or a Part of an IQ Society? dewisant 9 914 05-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: creationstory