Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best order for Clep business/finance tests?
Thanks for the feedback. I hope I'm ready! I finished Modern States' Information Systems prep today.
I'm hoping to go in and take 3 CLEPS on Saturday.
I'll be taking:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (Peterson Practice test 1, 76%)
Introductory Sociology (Peterson Practice test 1, 78%)
Information Systems (Peterson Practice test 1, 77%)

I took a Peterson practice test for each of them. I only took one practice test each out of the three available because I wanted to still have one to use if I need to study more and practice test again. I know that retakes don't count, so, only used one practice test.

Are my scores good enough to take the CLEP tests?
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
I bet you'd be fine for Sociology and A&I Lit. Info Systems I'm not sure.

(01-09-2019, 08:32 PM)Ideas Wrote: I bet you'd be fine for Sociology and A&I Lit. Info Systems I'm not sure.

What's amusing is this little gem, somehow I'm in the 99th percentile for Info Systems.. lol 

I guess people just aren't particularly great at that one.. 

It is the one I'm concerned about simply because some of the material is foreign. I did work in tech support for a year or so, but, that was pretty basic stuff.

Attached Files
.jpg   99thpercentileinformation.JPG (Size: 70.89 KB / Downloads: 13)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
That's great! You should be ready for the exam. You go girl!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-09-2019, 08:30 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I hope I'm ready! I finished Modern States' Information Systems prep today.
I'll be taking:
Information Systems  (Peterson Practice test 1, 77%)

I took a Peterson practice test for each of them. I only took one practice test each out of the three available because I wanted to still have one to use if I need to study more and practice test again. I know that retakes don't count, so, only used one practice test.

I always found there to be a fair amount of difference between the Peterson tests and the real thing, so I always made sure to use multiple sources when studying. At the least, I'd incorporate the InstantCert flashcards with the Peterson tests. I'd also recommend using the REA sample exams as well.

Ultimately it's up to your level of tolerance. You generally need a 70% to pass, so if you feel that getting 76-78% on the practice tests (which I always assume to have at least a 20% margin of error) is good enough, then go for it. Personally, I didn't sit tests until I was able to hit 90% or better on the practice tests and was able to get through all the flashcards, but I tend to be conservative and don't want to come back to retake a test considering the costs and inconvenience of travel. Though given they're free through Modern States, I might be less conservative now.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-10-2019, 03:09 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 08:30 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I hope I'm ready! I finished Modern States' Information Systems prep today.
I'll be taking:

I always found there to be a fair amount of difference between the Peterson tests and the real thing, so I always made sure to use multiple sources when studying. At the least, I'd incorporate the InstantCert flashcards with the Peterson tests. I'd also recommend using the REA sample exams as well.

Ultimately it's up to your level of tolerance. You generally need a 70% to pass, so if you feel that getting 76-78% on the practice tests (which I always assume to have at least a 20% margin of error) is good enough, then go for it. Personally, I didn't sit tests until I was able to hit 90% or better on the practice tests and was able to get through all the flashcards, but I tend to be conservative and don't want to come back to retake a test considering the costs and inconvenience of travel. Though given they're free through Modern States, I might be less conservative now.

I'm going through all the flash cards, I sometimes accidentally use an interchangeable word instead of exactly the word they were going for, but, I have done all the instantcert cards. I'll go through them a couple more times before Saturday. I used Modern States, Instantcert and for Sociology and Information systems I also used Study.com.
Sophia(2 credits)
I'll be taking:

How did you do?? Smile

Would love to hear your thoughts on Information Systems and if it would be super hard for someone with no previous background knowledge.
(01-12-2019, 03:22 PM)edbrain Wrote:
I'll be taking:

How did you do?? Smile

Would love to hear your thoughts on Information Systems and if it would be super hard for someone with no previous background knowledge.

So, I went to take the CLEP on Saturday. Called ahead to double check the hours because this school's hours are ALWAYS posted wrong. The lady I spoke with said they closed at 4:30 and last test was 2:30. So, I got there at 1:05 and they had decided they were closing at 3:00 instead and thus I had just missed by a few minutes the last opportunity to test. Needless to say, I was more than a little enraged. This was my second time driving up there. The first time they gave me the wrong date for when the campus opened, so, got there and there was no one there. 

Unfortunately, they are the only option unless I want to pay a $30 proctor fee. They have a $15 fee, so, half the price is half the price. I tried to take a half day from work tomorrow, but, I can't be spared.. lol Of course. Can't promote me, can't give me a raise, but can't spare me for even a half day.. Anyhow, I will be driving up there on Friday morning at 8:30 and then I will just sit there and wait until they feel like opening and then I will hopefully get to take a test. Either way, I will be taking deep breaths and reminding myself that testing out is saving me from having to actually attend that school. 

I'm planning to take 9 CLEP's. So, I'll be stuck driving back to that disorganized mess of a school a few more times. Just glad I held my temper and was reasonably polite. 

I will update hopefully on Friday with how the tests went. I'm continuing to review and have also started studying Macroeconomics. But, unless it gets a lot easier, I don't think I'll be taking that test on Friday.. lol
Sophia(2 credits)
Did you get a voucher from MS for the Clep? If so, you can also get your testing center fees refunded too. It’s not fast, it takes about 2+ months, but they will pay for that too. So it might be worth it to pay more for less hassle if you’re going to get it back eventually.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(01-13-2019, 09:42 PM)TexasTink Wrote: Did you get a voucher from MS for the Clep? If so, you can also get your testing center fees refunded too. It’s not fast, it takes about 2+ months, but they will pay for that too. So it might be worth it to pay more for less hassle if you’re going to get it back eventually.

I'll second this. If you can hang in there for the 8-10 weeks it takes to get reimbursed for the testing fee, just go for the paid testing center. An alternative is to take two tests on one day. Maybe plan it out so that you stop and eat lunch between tests.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 242 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 439 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 672 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 516 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 951 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone Do IQ Tests or a Part of an IQ Society? dewisant 9 914 05-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: creationstory