Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best plan for 45+ crowd?
I think you should look at UMPI for sure - either business, or a BLS; project management is also a good concentration/minor.

Your GE courses will come in as meeting requirements at UMPI, TESU, EC and COSC - they are RA credits, so awesome that you have them. The remaining drafting courses can be used as electives - this is where degree choice comes in, as the BLS/BALS/BSL at any of these schools take more Free Electives, while a business degree won't allow as many.

UMPI will be your fastest & cheapest option if you can go quickly: using Sophia and then Study.com for your science lab, you can do up to 90cr (minus what you've already done). Then apply at UMPI, do the remaining courses (English 2, your concentration/minor, and a 2nd one if you'd like); I'd bet that you could be done in 6-8 months.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Indieblue
Thank you everyone. I will write this down and research my options more in depth. I didn't realize there were so many paths....and with an undecided major or even job path I see I have a lot of options to consider.
Yep, spend a couple of days researching your options and considering what path you want to take for your Bachelor's degree. We can help you with whatever you ultimately choose to do.

If it's going to take more than a few days to figure things, you could work on a Pierpont degree so that you at least feel like you're making progress of some kind. Most, if not all, of the classes you'd need to take to get the Pierpont degree can be used for a Bachelor's degree from TESU/COSC/EC/UMPI. This will also give you a chance to see if you are cut out for a competency-based degree or not. If you can complete all of the required courses in a month or so, you should be good to go.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Indieblue
(08-24-2021, 03:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Pierpont is a FREE AAS that you can get on your way to a Bachelor's degree. 

Completing the Pierpont degree is through Sophia, correct? Or I guess I could just CLEP those if I truly wanted it to be completely free?
Yes, through Sophia. CLEP would take much longer. If you're super tight on money, CLEP is an acceptable option. Otherwise, Sophia is amazing and only $79/mo. for as many courses as you are able to complete during that period.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Indieblue, iothom
I highly recommend starting off by taking courses with Sophia.org - Most of them if you can.

When you're starting your journey, it'll be a little confusing as you start off, so, I'll make it more simple!
1) Purchase a second monitor for multi tasking, this allows you to have the exams on 1 and the course material on the second. I use a laptop and have a second monitor just for this!

2) Sign up for Sophia.org and complete as many courses as you can, it's $79/month, 2 courses at a time, unlimited courses per month. Some people finish 90 credits in 3-4 months, shoot for 5... Sophia.org - $79/month, 5 months = $395 USD

When you're done with these two steps, you'll have 90+ credits, you'll need RA or Foreign credits. Update this thread...
Link 1: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...rning,_LLC Link 2: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Indieblue
One thing I will say about UMPI is that the staff is VERY helpful and they know their stuff. I didn't have the same experience with Excelsior (EC). UMPI's YourPace program is designed for adults. They understand that the students are adults who have life experience and have careers and families to take care of. These things are partly what attracted me to UMPI. I completed my bachelor's degree there in 24 weeks -3 terms. I would have been done in 16 weeks but I added a third minor. You only need 1 minor with the BLS degree. Feel free to pm if you have any questions about UMPI. Here's where you can read about their online degrees:

https://online.umpi.edu/

PS I'm 46 and graduated in March so I know where you're coming from being in your 40's. I'm making a career change and it's a challenge without a degree!
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • cpoteraske, Indieblue, Novo
By the way, do NOT do English Comp through Sophia. If you go to UMPI, it's easier to take theirs. If you decide on somewhere else then CLEP or Study.com are better options, depending on the school you choose.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • Indieblue
(08-24-2021, 06:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I highly recommend starting off by taking courses with Sophia.org - Most of them if you can.

When you're starting your journey, it'll be a little confusing as you start off, so, I'll make it more simple!
1) Purchase a second monitor for multi tasking, this allows you to have the exams on 1 and the course material on the second. I use a laptop and have a second monitor just for this!

Is this because the exams are open book? Thank you so much for spelling everything out. There is so much to consider and so many tips and tricks that only people who have done this can help explain. I appreciate the help!!!!

(08-25-2021, 02:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: By the way, do NOT do English Comp through Sophia. If you go to UMPI, it's easier to take theirs. If you decide on somewhere else then CLEP or Study.com are better options, depending on the school you choose.

Oh wow, thanks for the tip.....not sure if I need English Comp but I will make a note not to take that one from Sophia.

(08-24-2021, 08:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote: One thing I will say about UMPI is that the staff is VERY helpful and they know their stuff. I didn't have the same experience with Excelsior (EC). UMPI's YourPace program is designed for adults. 

Thank you for the reply and expanding on your experience with UMPI. I looked at their site briefly and see that it is a flat rate fee for the YourPace program. Is that all out of pocket or are you able to use any FAFSA funds? My kids get free college of course....but mom's kind of get left out in the cold lol.
Yeah, Sophia exams are open book. And this is so much easier if you have a second monitor.

To get a Bachelor's degree, you're going to need both English Comp I & II. You may have I but you definitely don't have II. At Sophia, English Comp I isn't too bad but English Comp II is pretty awful and should be avoided whenever possible. For the Pierpont degree, you can just take Communication at Work and Visual Communication from Sophia to be sure that you've met the Communications requirements.

Also, if you decide on TESU, there is a much easier option than Sophia's Public Speaking. I'm not sure about the other schools, though.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • Indieblue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 348 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 198 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 414 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 217 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 377 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Interim & Future Plan - Machine Learning mweichert 6 344 03-18-2024, 03:45 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 786 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,578 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  Need a plan to get an Associates fast and cheap smartiepants35 14 1,522 02-26-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: smartiepants35
  Help Please - UMPI Degree Plan Linz 7 629 02-19-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle