Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden free college a reality?
(03-17-2021, 12:40 PM)Seagull Wrote: The age limit for military in the US is 35.

For all things people can do their homework especially when joining the military. It can give enough advantage for a number of factors and if one knows how to play the cards right it is a good deal. One TECEP exams for military count towards residency,  DSST exams are free, any experience or schooling received counts towards UL in transfer, there is up to $40 K paid towards education. If you do not want to spend a dime you get free food and housing. And with va you own zero down on a house you buy.

Yeah the free food is fantastic. My night my cousin's dinner in Iraq was a ham and cheese sandwich on white bread with some white rice. Great meal! He subsidized his meals with MREs which aren't exactly the tastiest thing either. Sorry but I don't find this acceptable. The military benefits aren't all they're cracked up to be. I've watched so many family members fight for their benefits for education and healthcare. It's pretty disgusting how they're treated. 
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Novo, rachel83az
Military service is definitely not for everyone. I have nothing against the people who do go that route but people in the military are not treated well. Not while in service, not afterward either.

Not everyone is in a position to be willing or able to lose 4-6 years of their life either.

If you served: great. Thank you for your service. But just as not everyone likes chocolate ice cream or can even eat chocolate ice cream, trying to make everyone go into military service just doesn't work.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-17-2021, 01:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Military service is definitely not for everyone. I have nothing against the people who do go that route but people in the military are not treated well. Not while in service, not afterward either.

Not everyone is in a position to be willing or able to lose 4-6 years of their life either.

If you served: great. Thank you for your service. But just as not everyone likes chocolate ice cream or can even eat chocolate ice cream, trying to make everyone go into military service just doesn't work.
Wow, this one is a first, I agree is not for everyone. But I have seen many older generations gain lots of advantage especially career wise because of a military background. They are not lost years as they gain in experience. I guess younger generations can't handle it and think food is bad, as opposed to what? a student daily regimen of instant ramen? Maybe it is true it is not for everyone but I wouldn't shoot it down just because of personal dislike. Let's be objective and recommend the positives. Those who sign up either are tough enough for it or not. I never said it was a walk in the park but it has its advantages. But I would not consider military service lost years, and if so compared to what?   Huh
(03-18-2021, 09:45 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 01:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Military service is definitely not for everyone. I have nothing against the people who do go that route but people in the military are not treated well. Not while in service, not afterward either.

Wow, this one is a first, I agree is not for everyone. But I have seen many older generations gain lots of advantage especially career wise because of a military background. They are not lost years as they gain in experience. I guess younger generations can't handle it and think food is bad, as opposed to what? a student daily regimen of instant ramen? Maybe it is true it is not for everyone but I wouldn't shoot it down just because of personal dislike. Let's be objective and recommend the positives. Those who sign up either are tough enough for it or not. I never said it was a walk in the park but it has its advantages. But I would not consider military service lost years, and if so compared to what?   Huh

I have older relatives who went into the service for various reasons. They don't like to talk about their time in the service and they regretted joining at all. They weren't joining for "noble" causes like WWII. They were joining to serve their country during peacetime and because someone like you told them that the benefits could be sweet. Spoiler alert: the benefits aren't sweet and they were pretty traumatized by their experiences. They are the main reasons why I didn't even try to join when I was young enough to do so.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Novo, ss20ts
(03-19-2021, 05:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I have older relatives who went into the service for various reasons. They don't like to talk about their time in the service and they regretted joining at all. They weren't joining for "noble" causes like WWII. They were joining to serve their country during peacetime and because someone like you told them that the benefits could be sweet. Spoiler alert: the benefits aren't sweet and they were pretty traumatized by their experiences. They are the main reasons why I didn't even try to join when I was young enough to do so.

Agreed. My 3 grandfathers were all in the military. Only 1 talked about it. One was permanently injured and left with a brain injury. He fought like hell his entire life to get medical treatment from the VA. The other grandfather never spoke of his 8 years in the Air Force. My dad talks about it now, but never spoke a word about it growing up. Sure they got to travel the country and live in Europe. Oh and by travel the country, I mean everything they owned was loaded up into his car and the whole family drove across the country in the 1950's to his next base where they would stay for 6-8 months then move again. They owned NOTHING. When he got out after 8 years, the first thing he did was build a house. The house is still in our family even though he's long gone. I live in a town near where he went to basic training. No one knew this was where he went until I moved here 9 years ago. He's been gone for over 20 years. I really wonder happened that made him not talk about those 8 years of his life. It's definitely not a life for everyone and many people struggle immensely when their time is over. 

One of my uncles was discharged from boot camp. He came home and became a severe alcoholic almost overnight. He battled depression for years. What sent him home was a mental breakdown over videos they were forced to watch of babies being thrown into concrete walls. I don't know how anyone would be ok after seeing that much less forced to watch it. It's been like over 35 years and he's never been the same. I really don't think he ever got over what he saw and then the fact that he was kicked out. He was ashamed for not being able to "take it like a man" kind of thing. Once he was booted, there was absolutely no benefits for him. No helping him deal with the mental issues that the military's training caused him. Nothing.
Hmm different people different experiences. Not sure the military does that unless they were in a warzone, still people are prone to something or not. I guess younger generation after WWII were not able to handle tough situations. I have seen different experiences of people who excelled after military life but I guess each person has a different disposition and handles things differently. They should do a survey to see religion, family life, attitudes and political leanings of those who handle things one way or another.
(03-19-2021, 11:29 AM)Seagull Wrote: Hmm different people different experiences. Not sure the military does that unless they were in a warzone, still people are prone to something or not. I guess younger generation after WWII were not able to handle tough situations. I have seen different experiences of people who excelled after military life but I guess each person has a different disposition and handles things differently. They should do a survey to see religion, family life, attitudes and political leanings of those who handle things one way or another.

In fact, quite a lot of research has been done on that general topic.  You could begin reading about it by doing a google search on the term "psychological resilience."
(03-19-2021, 11:29 AM)Seagull Wrote: Hmm different people different experiences. Not sure the military does that unless they were in a warzone, still people are prone to something or not. I guess younger generation after WWII were not able to handle tough situations. I have seen different experiences of people who excelled after military life but I guess each person has a different disposition and handles things differently. They should do a survey to see religion, family life, attitudes and political leanings of those who handle things one way or another.

Wow that is condescending!

Whoa, yikes. That's not cool. You have no idea what anyone else here has had to go through. I'd wager that the people here on a budget and/or who have lost their jobs and are looking to complete a degree as quickly and as cheaply as possible have been through plenty of "tough situations". Not to diminish what soldiers have to go through, but there is more to "tough situations" than getting shot at or getting blown up. Going through one or the other doesn't make you a better person than someone who took a different route in life.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(03-19-2021, 12:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Wow that is condescending!

And ignorant
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 360 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DOJ says that Biden can't even remember when he was vice president LevelUP 5 513 02-10-2024, 10:14 AM
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,556 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,239 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle