Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big 3 BA and onto Masters vs more prestigious B&M University BA?
Lindagerr Wrote:I live in NJ where lots of people send their kids to Rutgers because it is a state school and not quite as expensive. I am always amazed when people from other states are impressed by a Rutgers degree or attendance. Most of the people in my part of NJ think of Rutgers as an easy school.

I think if you get a BA degree from an out of state school or 1 of the big 3 most people will not know the difference. Get it done and spend the time on your masters that will impress more no matter where it is from.

I also live in NJ and I'm also a Senior Executive for a major financial institution. Rutgers has an excellent reputation in the work force and is considered one of the top public colleges in the country. It is a well deserved reputation. I'm also a big believer that you get out of schoold what you put into it and you can have an excellent candidate from any school. In my case I never received my degree. Due to a series of events in the mid 80's I entered the work force and put all my time and energy into my career. It paid off but now at the age of 45 I'm enrolled at TESC and I'm working towards my degree.
I am not saying Rutgers is easy or that there is anything wrong with Rutgers. My husband is a Rutgers graduate and I wanted my son to go there and still hope he will eventually.

I was trying to make the point that local perceptions are not always the same as what the broader picture is. At my sons graduation 1 this year and 1 last year from the two local high schools, the principals made a big thing of talking about how many students were going to schools like Harvard, Georgetown, Stanford etc. Neither principal mentioned how many were going to Rutgers.

I do live in a poor town in one of the richest areas of the country. The children in my sons schools almost all had thier own cars lots of them new and most of them better then what I drive.

So I would say if you want to get a better job in todays highly competitive work place, get your BA or BS wherever you can get it fast and cheap save your money to get you into a good masters program with better name recognition.( I am mostly talking to those in the mid-thirties or younger, they still have plenty of time to get both a BA/BS and a masters and still have lots of years to build a career.)
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I thought Rutgers was a good school? A friend of mine graduated from there and he said it was great.

But..........alas..just get your degree as quick as you can from a R/A School that is best advice for anyone...not a pedigree.
Lindagerr Wrote:I am not saying Rutgers is easy or that there is anything wrong with Rutgers. My husband is a Rutgers graduate and I wanted my son to go there and still hope he will eventually.

I was trying to make the point that local perceptions are not always the same as what the broader picture is. At my sons graduation 1 this year and 1 last year from the two local high schools, the principals made a big thing of talking about how many students were going to schools like Harvard, Georgetown, Stanford etc. Neither principal mentioned how many were going to Rutgers.

I do live in a poor town in one of the richest areas of the country. The children in my sons schools almost all had thier own cars lots of them new and most of them better then what I drive.

So I would say if you want to get a better job in todays highly competitive work place, get your BA or BS wherever you can get it fast and cheap save your money to get you into a good masters program with better name recognition.( I am mostly talking to those in the mid-thirties or younger, they still have plenty of time to get both a BA/BS and a masters and still have lots of years to build a career.)

Linda, I agree. At graduations they will always make a big deal about the kids going to the prestigous Ivy league schools. I'm very pro-NJ so I may be extra sensitive at times. hilarious

My oldest daughter just graduated HS this year, she was a classified student and she will be attending Ocean County College next year. I'm with you on kids getting to much handed to them. My daughter is still driving the family mini-van, but we are shopping for a car. She has worked for three years and will contribute half to whatever we decide to purchase.

My 16 year old daughter on the other hand is ranked 12th in her class of 500 and because of the Star system in NJ can attend county college for free when she graduates in two years. Her guidance counsler echoed what you said, "get your BA or BS wherever you can get it fast and cheap save your money to get you into a good masters program with better name recognition." However, try telling that to a 16 year old who has her sites set on the schools you mentioned above!Big Grin

Best of luck to you, and your son!Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AFFORDABLE Masters Degree in Teaching/Education? acamp 14 3,853 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Last Post: miah
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,668 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,143 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Thomas Edison State University Selects New President jsd 3 2,164 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,701 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters at TESU TESUDayne 0 957 09-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Last Post: TESUDayne
  Transfering to a state university question(what's the best way to do it!) Yung Bukket 1 925 07-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Attempting to obtain TESU credits to use for Rowan University. Worth a shot? chrisjf.tech 17 2,704 05-14-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: chrisjf.tech
  Patten University to TESU or Excelsior? morig 3 683 11-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: jsd
  West Virginia University at Parkersburg AA program vetvso 9 1,207 10-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock