Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big 3: Chinese Language degree
So, I'm having a lot of trouble finding courses to grab a degree in Mandarin Chinese the alternative way. Is this not yet a large enough market for such courses to be available or can you help me out by pointing me to some online sources of Chinese language credit? If not a Chinese degree, have you seen somebody achieve a language degree using one of the big 3 and alternative credit sources? What language was it for?
I've looked at hundreds, maybe thousands, of transcripts over the last 7 years, and seen exactly 1 person who got a Spanish Degree at TESU - and that was because they were 3+ years into a degree plan at a 4yr state university when they dropped out. They brought in 90+ credits from that school (and maybe some AP and CC credit if I remember correctly). They had all of the requirements met, as well as the UL courses needed. I saw the same situation with someone doing a music degree.

You can't get the requirements needed for a foreign language via alternative credits. There just aren't the courses needed (can't use 101 or 102, hard to find UL courses in the language, can't find Major Writers/Masterpieces of Literature required courses, can't find electives).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It is possible to get a language degree at TESU in Foreign Language, but not all from alternative credit. My daughter just completed a BA in Russian. However, she completed all her Russian language requirements via taking the ACTFL exams while they were still ACE approved (she learned Russian in immersion programs in Russia).  The literature courses were taken online at Queens College in NY and the culture courses online at Oregon State. She also did a PLA for two AOS courses, based upon some Coursera courses she did and also a cultural immersion program she did in St. Petersburg one summer.  It was definitely a piecemeal approach, but it worked. It was difficult to find all the courses, and she really had to work hard to get it all done, but she needed a foreign language degree for her career goals, and wanted to get it done fast. 

I think the only path going forward for Chinese would be to do the language credits via NYU exams, and then find some online courses to take via other colleges for the literature, history and culture courses. Or it is possible to do a PLA for those (by taking some MOOC courses) - but that isn't an easy path either.
I forgot that I did see someone get a language degree via the military. They went to the Defense Language Institute, and got all of the UL and requirements that way.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'd be interested in this as well. If there are any online courses I could take that would be great.
@bsimi- Is ACTFL Opi credits no longer ACE certified?
(05-08-2019, 05:28 AM)S2106 Wrote: @bsimi- Is ACTFL Opi credits no longer ACE certified?

Correct, their ACE recommendation expired.
While the Big 3 are probably not going to work, there ARE other colleges that will. A good friend's daughter is going to use University of Maryland University College for a degree in East Asian Studies with a focus on Japanese. She will transfer in the max (90 credits) and complete her Japanese courses with the university (online) to meet her 30 credit requirement. I just looked, and the same degree can be done with a focus on China, so that might work for you.

https://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/b...-major.cfm

This program requires 30 credits of coursework in the major. (you'd transfer in the rest using CLEP, ACE, etc.)

Foundations of East Asian Civilization (3 Credits, ASTD 284)
Introduction to Modern East Asia (3 Credits, ASTD 285)
Religions of the East (3 Credits, PHIL 348)
Issues in East Asian Studies (3 Credits, ASTD 485)
East Asian language courses (9 credits): Courses designated CHIN or JAPN and numbered 111, 112, 114, or higher
Upper-level East Asian content courses (9 credits): ASTD, CHIN, JAPN, KORN, Asian HIST, and Asian GVPT courses and Peoples and Cultures of East Asia (3 Credits, ANTH 417) apply (focused study in China or Japan recommended; see Degree Focus tab)

China Focus
History of China to 1912 (3 Credits, HIST 480)
Interpreting Contemporary China (3 Credits, ASTD 370)
Peoples and Cultures of East Asia (3 Credits, ANTH 417)

This program requires 49 credits of minor and/or elective coursework.

This program requires 41 credits of general education coursework.

____

Chinese 1,2,3,4 all available online through the college. https://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/c...ourse=CHIN

___

They also have a K-12 teacher certification in Mandarin Chinese but I don't know anything about it. https://www.umuc.edu/documents/upload/ma...review.pdf
My first language is Spanish, so I asked the same question to the TESU advisor and he told me that the NYU exams would only transfer as Electives. So they won't count as part of the core. But you can still get 12 credits maximum.
BYU-IS (scroll down to 'World Languages'), a RA university, has a few language courses—including two Chinese Mandarin ones—if there is anyone interested.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which language(s) should I take? rachel83az 14 1,417 07-25-2022, 10:44 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  StraighterLine - Degree after 50! bjcheung77 4 1,379 04-03-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: NC Coach
Information Avant Assessment: Language Proficiency Exams for ACE Credit MNomadic 4 953 02-02-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: irishboy83
  TEEX courses already applied to degree Seagull 6 1,148 03-31-2021, 10:44 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  college degree estherkay 12 1,899 03-18-2021, 03:15 PM
Last Post: estherkay
  Foreigner: any way to get a degree online - no CLEP DSST tomokaicho 21 2,497 01-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Last Post: monchevy
  Degree from Sophia Courses Alone? McManus 8 3,711 12-11-2020, 03:35 PM
  Can I complete the majority of a degree on Study.com or a similar site? hlg38 12 3,106 05-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  SOPHIA test- transfer to non-degree transcript yokopilar 11 2,749 04-29-2020, 05:44 PM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 6 2,322 04-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso