Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Big 3 Grads: In hindsight what would you differently?
Also I wouldn't recommend the Big 3 or an online format for somebody who just graduated high school. There are just important relationships and life lessons both good and bad that you can only get from going on campus. I believe in most things are ok in moderation, even partying mrs. b =) Getting dumped by my gf, getting her back, then dumping her, learning a few cool dance moves, playing a year of Div. 3 basketball, walking on my hands drunk and breaking the drywall on our apt. and not receiving our security deposit back, and making great friends for life. You can't get that experience in front of a computer screen.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Quote: Also I wouldn't recommend the Big 3 or an online format for somebody who just graduated high school. There are just important relationships and life lessons both good and bad that you can only get from going on campus.

I think that each person has a path that is unique.

For anyone, I would analyze their ability to 1.perform college level work 2. learn independently 3. afford a traditional college vs CBE and 4. availability of financial aid before I made any recommendations regarding CBE. Although those are only four criteria, you get the gist of what I mean here.

There is also a maturity level needed to be successful in any advanced educational path.

Having just completed my Req's for the BSBA, I don't have any regrets with what I've done. Opportunities are already opening based on my past performance and the checking of the education box.
However, if I am gonna jump in the "What if machine", I would want to finish high school, and go straight to college.

My path wasn't that easy.

It did however, make me the awesome person I am today.
[B]University of North Carolina- Kenan-Flagler Business School- MBA 2017 [B]
Villanova University - Master Certificate in Government Contract Management (ApriL 2014)
TESC BSBA- Gen Mgmt (December 2013), Arnold Fletcher Award
TESC ASBA- Business Admin ( December 2013)
NCMA - CFCM (Certified Federal Contract Manager)
Completed Units Via 24 traditional, 39 Clep, 24 DSST, 12 Aleks, 3 FEMA, 12 Straighterline, 3 Penn Foster, 3 TESC

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-morrissey/49/442/407/
Sr. Mgr Government Contracts
Contract Compliance
US Pharmaceuticals
McKesson Corp
cookderosa Wrote:This is going to sound SO STRANGE, but I wish you had shared more about how/why/when you flunked a CLEP. I think sometimes the "I took that cold" posts out-number the ones who study hard and struggle. I never met a CLEP that I didn't study for, and I'm not a very good test taker, so even when I did study hard I was happy with my "low-50's" average. Re: grad school, I was just chatting with hubby about this last night. I think the cost and speed barriers that get broken down here allow people to keep their momentum and go onto grad school. I wish we kept data on people from this forum who used a lot of exam credit and went onto grad school. I think the numbers must be very high compared to the general population.

I struggle trying to convince my Airmen to study for their CLEPs. I have a rep in my unit for passing so many. People come to me, I tell them to study HARD for two weeks (better then sitting through class for 8+ weeks). Then they go ask one of their knuckle-head buddies (the barracks PhDs) who tell them to just take it. Of course they flunk and then come to ask me what else transfers.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Septmber Grads(TESU) Johmford 0 974 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  For EC's July 2017 Grads - "Commencement in a Box" SuZQ2 1 900 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Big 3 Grads who went on to Business School: How did you complete your area of study? mavericklass 5 665 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  TESC Homeland Security Grads. PLZ HELP!!!! Doctor H 1 566 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Calling all EC and TESC IT Grads! marianne202 12 1,902 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Last Post: BrandeX
  Ever heard of any of the big 3 grads going on to teach English in a foreign country? CollegeStudent7 52 4,917 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Last Post: fiveninerzero
  Big 3 grads, how much did you pay to complete your Bachelors...start to finish? CollegeStudent7 23 2,986 04-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Last Post: kevinmanemane
  Question for any Dec. EC grads marianne202 0 478 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  EC School of Health Sciences grads & students rashaun35 6 1,084 09-04-2010, 07:36 PM
  Question for Excelsior Grads marianne202 3 1,502 03-18-2010, 06:26 PM