Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minor vent - gen. ed. reqs. changing
I've been working toward having all my gen ed requirements satisfied (other than the required "hey, you're starting our school" course and the gen ed capstone) before enrolling at Ashford.  I'm about 2/3 done and expect to have the rest of the credits done by about a month from now, with statistics being my one real wild card.  (Not 100% sure if I'll pass that and have to rethink things.)  So I submitted my application this week, for January enrollment, and just got sent my "pre-enrollment degree plan" today -- with a completely different set of general ed requirements.  Apparently they're redoing their general ed setup between this past/current year and the upcoming year, but all the information about their equivalencies at StraighterLine, etc., still maps to the old one, so now I'm thoroughly confused.  In particular, I find it massively confusing that they did have an "information literacy" requirement that was satisfied by SL's IT Fundamentals and similar computer classes.  That is now apparently "digital literacy" -- but they also have an "information literacy" requirement, so God only knows what "information literacy" equates to now.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Could they be following along the Big 3 who use Analyzing and Interpreting Lit as Info Lit? I have never understood the courses that fit this requirement. How is A&I Lit in any way remotely like Intro to World Religions?

Anyway, that's frustrating. Hope you get it sorted quickly!
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
As best I can tell, it's research skills or something like that. They only offer one course that meets that requirement, though, (well, two, but the second one is some weird upper-level language course with a lower-level prereq, so it would double the course requirements), so the category is harder to get a feel for than the ones that have 5-10 suggestions for courses to meet the requirement. If that's the case, I'm hoping maybe they'll be willing to waive it if I have everything else, because I do have a ONE-credit class in research skills already, and finished up an AAS that required a good bit of research. I kinda doubt it, but one can hope. Wink
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Davar, Coopersmith & PF all have Information Literacy courses, for what that's worth.

Also, unfortunately, this can happen at any school. The only way to be sure that you get locked into a catalog is to enroll. It's a bummer when something like this happens.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Sad

Information Literacy is pretty different than Digital Literacy. It's more like English versus computer basics. It's stuff like how to cite, or how to search in a library catalog.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 596 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor Schlafen 12 992 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Changing Demographics Alpha 0 383 10-19-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Concentration, Major, Minor are mentioned in the diploma? MrPanda 8 1,012 11-14-2021, 01:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Changing schools; where to go? amberwalk 14 1,684 02-18-2021, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Maximize Pell Grant by changing Majors nosideedison 14 2,820 10-15-2019, 12:19 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Changing paths Regards 2 797 10-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  clarification on "major / minor" CarpeDiem8 22 3,282 07-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Need advice on cheap school to obtain MBA pre reqs heinzmoleman 6 2,309 07-04-2019, 01:52 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Help thinking about changing degree geissingert 2 981 04-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Last Post: geissingert