Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biology Degree through CLEPs?
Desiring to obtain my Bachelor's degree in Biology through mainly CLEPs, I am wondering if there is anyone else on here that has done so.

I have looked at TESC a little, and Excelsior some. I still haven't decided if one of those is right for me. Anyone used them for this type of degree?

Any tips welcome! THANKS
Annie-Rom1.20 Wrote:Desiring to obtain my Bachelor's degree in Biology through mainly CLEPs, I am wondering if there is anyone else on here that has done so.

I have looked at TESC a little, and Excelsior some. I still haven't decided if one of those is right for me. Anyone used them for this type of degree?

Any tips welcome! THANKS
>>

Welcome to the board! Sadly, this is the one degree you can't get through CLEPs. None of the CLEPs have labs, and labs are a requirement. Also, there is only 1 CLEP in the biology area, and it's for non-science majors.
Not to be discouraging, what you CAN do, is to take your sciences somewhere else and then CLEP everything else! This might be an alternative, especially if you already have some lab science credit. You can get your free electives through FEMA (for free) all your 60 gen ed's through CLEP, then you only have your labs.
I have a good source for sciences online Ocean County College which will give you access to AP1 and AP2, Micro, Intro and Gen Bio 1 + 2, Intro and Gen Chem 1 + 2, Physics 1 and 2, and Astronomy. The remaining bios, including organic chem might be found at your local community college.
Thanks. No I'm not discouraged. I knew I'd have to find somewhere to get the lab credit, but I am wanting to CLEP out of as much as I can.

Can you tell me more about FEMA... where do I look ad getting that aid?

Is the Ocean County College where you can get some online biology credit in those areas?

Thanks for the help!
Annie-Rom1.20 Wrote:Thanks. No I'm not discouraged. I knew I'd have to find somewhere to get the lab credit, but I am wanting to CLEP out of as much as I can.

Can you tell me more about FEMA... where do I look ad getting that aid?

Is the Ocean County College where you can get some online biology credit in those areas?

Thanks for the help!
>>

FEMA- these are actually online tests that give you 1 credit (at TESC) for each one you pass. The material is in a pdf, so you essentially print it off and use it for the open book quiz. FEMA tests are free, and TESC awards credit for these for free. These credits fall under the category "Free Elective" only- so exceeding that area is a waste of time. Search this forum for FEMA, there is a lot of info here as well as a list of the ones that count/don't count.

Ocean- yes, it's online. I am starting my second semester with them. You do labs at home and your work to your teacher online. Quizzes, tests, etc are also online (open book!). You have to make an investment $ if you are going to do home labs. I had to buy a microscope, and you have to buy the kits for each class. This is not cheap (although, it's also expensive to take labs in person at my local community college- the diff wasn't too much but online is so much better for me).
I need a bunch of sciences to apply for my BSN, so I'm sticking it out, but here is what I spent so far:
Anatomy & Physiology 1 ($300 microscope, $300 lab paq, $200 book with access code and Anatomy Revealed Software, $600tuition)
Anatomy & Physiology 2 ($200 lab paq add on, $600 tuition *use same book, software, access code, and most of same lab paq)
Intro Chemistry ($250 lab paq, $600 tuition, $120 book with code)

It's worth saying, that if you do complete TESC's biology requirements, you will have met the science requirements for all of the health care pre-reqs (pre med, pre nursing, pre dental, etc) which require more schooling- but are high paying jobs. OTOH, I don't know what exact profession takes a BA (not BS) in biology. The sciences are what wash people out of the pre-x tracks. If you make it, you should consider your options carefully! GOOD LUCK to you and maybe I'll "see" you in class Smile
Hi!

Have you considered the Biology major at Excelsior College? You will need to check, but I think the Biology major can be accomplished through the Biology GRE + 2 labs. (The GRE exams are awarded up to 30 credits depending on the score.)

Also, a member of this forum (Sunshine) is pursuing a Biology major through Excelsior College by taking the Biology classes and using exams for other requirements. You can follow the progress by checking the signature line here:

http://www.degreeforum.net/members/sunshine.html

I hope this helps!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thank you both!
I am still looking into everything, but it helps to know what options are out there for what I can take and how I can take it! Thank you for the encouragment.

I am going to look into taking some of the Biology labs from a local college, I think that might be the best option for me, then testing out of the other things.

Thanks for telling me a little more about FEMA, I will look at that more on here.

That is good to know about the GRE exams, and about checking into Excelsior more. Thanks. Oh and thanks for telling me of another student in Biology, will look at some of those threads!

Thanks for replying to me, I appreciate the time taken to help me figure things out!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,451 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 767 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 375 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader