Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biology or other science degree plan needed
(05-24-2018, 09:00 AM)vetvso Wrote: Thanks Jennifer - I'm thinking FSU may be a good start for him but they limit his CLEP to 45 credits and have a few weird policies about transfer credits. Keep in mind he will not reside with the USA during this process and with the TESU age requirement him testing out of his first degree ASAP may be difficult. FSU has an overseas campus but does not have any testing capabilities.

The Harvard Extension is a good idea once he get's to that point.

Also TESU said he can possibly get a waver for under 21 since he has already taken classes a a University.

Several people here have said that they were not at all helpful in this respect, and would not do a waiver.

But I think if he did all of his sciences at a B&M, then you should maybe consider COSC.

But I agree with Jennifer that testing out might not be the best option in these circumstances.  My best friend's daughter wants to be a research scientist, and has gotten all kinds of great opportunities while at college to do things that wouldn't have been possible if she hadn't been there to find out about them, and get the STRONG letters of recommendation that she needed.  She also had good grades - something your son won't have if he tests out.

If this was my kid, I would be having him go the normal route, with CLEP testing when you get back to the US.  45cr of CLEP is nothing to sneeze at - our local schools (CC & CSU) only take 30cr of CLEP.  The main thing you need to do is plan out the testing so that the school will let you do this - because many aren't going to let him take some of the UL or later classes he needs without the basics already in place (so you can't take all your junior and senior level courses when you haven't finished your Gen Ed yet).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, Yenisei
I highly recommend University of Florida. I haven't found a better online deal when factoring in college ranking, flexibility, and cost. University of Florida is ranked #6 among undergraduate, biology programs at doctoral-level institutions. I was also looking at the award recipients of this highly-coveted, science scholarship, and a disproportionate number of the recipients are from University of Florida. UF is also #4 in biological engineering.

As a side note, while not a PhD program, I was accepted to two master's programs at UF with my non-traditional background. At the undergraduate level, they offer online degree completion programs in biology and microbiology. You get the same degree as on-campus students. They also have competitive admission, which will be seen as a positive when applying to PhD programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • miah, tifferbugz, Yenisei
Thank you sanantone and I think so too, and flew to the overseas campus recently and we will combine the use of TESU and FU together.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here

Hehe.  He said "we plan to use TESU and FU together."
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • MNomadic
Looks like I will have the BALS done in Jan with a march graduation. I have credits left over for another degree from TESU if they fit into something. I am taking BAS UL classes in Anthropology along with research diving and 1 grad course.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
Just want to chime in real quick regarding the TESU age requirement:

I am 19 and currently enrolled. All they required was enough transfer credits (I think it was 27), and since my credits were CLEP I had to score above a minimum threshold on the Accuplacer, and I had to fill out a special form alongside my application.

My understanding is that they DO have a hard minimum of 18, however.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • tifferbugz
(12-14-2018, 05:08 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Just want to chime in real quick regarding the TESU age requirement:

I am 19 and currently enrolled. All they required was enough transfer credits (I think it was 27), and since my credits were CLEP I had to score above a minimum threshold on the Accuplacer, and I had to fill out a special form alongside my application.

My understanding is that they DO have a hard minimum of 18, however.

I found this so yes there seems to be a policy for an age waiver.

Attached Files
.png   Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 5.08.10 PM.png (Size: 142.2 KB / Downloads: 16)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 26 11 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 6 103 21 minutes ago
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 34 592 2 hours ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 312 3 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 135 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,476 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,853 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 341 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM