Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black NYU Student Kept from Attending Class
(02-19-2019, 09:32 PM)jsd Wrote: It's always interesting to see how quick people are to write off anything outside of their own personal experience.

Whether or not this situation is real, there is documented history of numerous complaints about racism at this school, and it's been going on for years. It can't all be orchestrated. This is why I was so angered about the Jussie Smollett situation because it's already hard enough for LGBTQ and ethnic minority victims to be believed. 

Bluebooger has talked about how he thinks people of Sub-Saharan African descent are intellectually inferior, so his reaction isn't surprising. I ignore him half the time. It's stomach-churning, though, when it comes from a person of African descent. 

It's unbelievable how so many think that it's more likely that a student will be harassed for being conservative than for being black. History says otherwise. The currently rising hate crime rates against ethnic and religious minorities say otherwise.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(02-19-2019, 09:48 PM)sanantone Wrote: It's unbelievable how so many think that it's more likely that a student will be harassed for being conservative than for being black.

Projection from the folks quick to complain about safe spaces and "snowflakes."
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • sanantone
(02-19-2019, 09:48 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 09:32 PM)jsd Wrote: It's always interesting to see how quick people are to write off anything outside of their own personal experience.

Whether or not this situation is real, there is documented history of numerous complaints about racism at this school, and it's been going on for years. It can't all be orchestrated. This is why I was so angered about the Jussie Smollett situation because it's already hard enough for LGBTQ and ethnic minority victims to be believed. 

Bluebooger has talked about how he thinks people of Sub-Saharan African descent are intellectually inferior, so his reaction isn't surprising. I ignore him half the time. It's stomach-churning, though, when it comes from a person of African descent. 

It's unbelievable how so many think that it's more likely that a student will be harassed for being conservative than for being black. History says otherwise. The currently rising hate crime rates against ethnic and religious minorities say otherwise.

I think it's much more stomach-churning to make crap up, but that's me.  I agree that it's hard enough for ANYONE to be believed of real crimes, so people who make things up make it much harder.  And if the media didn't immediately jump on whatever they WANT to believe is happening, without giving any thought to whether or not it's true is just ridiculous.

And, I've done some reading on the rising hate crimes rates.  Did you know that much of the rise comes from more reporting, and much of it has to do with anti-semitism?  Yes, Jewish people are reporting a lot more crimes - it's not black people, gay people, women - the real fear in this country right now is if you're Jewish.

And yes, I KNOW racism/sexism/all-of-the-isms really do exist.  But I don't think it's as rampant as some people would lead you to believe.  If that was the case, Smollett wouldn't have to make anything up, it would be out there for us to see.  Instead, we get:
 - Kerri Dunn at Claremont McKenna College making up a hate crime (and going to jail for it)
 - UCSD Noose drama (student admitted she did it herself)
 - SDSU hijab-wearing woman attacked by Trump supporters, car stolen (turns out she "forgot" where she left her car, declined to press charges)
These are just the ones in SoCal, that I've heard about.  There are dozens, all fake.

I really hate the lying to try to stir up racial fears throughout this country.  Almost every single event has been someone who was liberal trying to make people think that Trump supporters were racists.  If that's not true hate, I don't know what is.  It sickens me.

You may hate most of the following sites that are reporting these hoaxes, but I couldn't find more of the ones that were on the "liberal" or "mainstream" side of things doing the reporting, or I would have linked them here:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/02/19/1...mplicated/
https://www.nationalreview.com/phi-beta-...an-harden/
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hate-crimes-a...ed-in-2017
https://www.newsweek.com/muslim-hate-cri...nce-741047

For instance, here's the initial reporting about the SDSU muslim student by our local PBS station in SD, but they never update the story with the truth nor do they ever come back later and report the truth that it's a hoax (and it was a BIG deal here): https://www.kpbs.org/news/2016/nov/09/sa...dent-hate/
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes
(02-20-2019, 01:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 09:48 PM)sanantone Wrote:

I think it's much more stomach-churning to make crap up, but that's me.  I agree that it's hard enough for ANYONE to be believed of real crimes, so people who make things up make it much harder.  And if the media didn't immediately jump on whatever they WANT to believe is happening, without giving any thought to whether or not it's true is just ridiculous.

And, I've done some reading on the rising hate crimes rates.  Did you know that much of the rise comes from more reporting, and much of it has to do with anti-semitism?  Yes, Jewish people are reporting a lot more crimes - it's not black people, gay people, women - the real fear in this country right now is if you're Jewish.

And yes, I KNOW racism/sexism/all-of-the-isms really do exist.  But I don't think it's as rampant as some people would lead you to believe.  If that was the case, Smollett wouldn't have to make anything up, it would be out there for us to see.  Instead, we get:
 - Kerri Dunn at Claremont McKenna College making up a hate crime (and going to jail for it)
 - UCSD Noose drama (student admitted she did it herself)
 - SDSU hijab-wearing woman attacked by Trump supporters, car stolen (turns out she "forgot" where she left her car, declined to press charges)
These are just the ones in SoCal, that I've heard about.  There are dozens, all fake.

I really hate the lying to try to stir up racial fears throughout this country.  Almost every single event has been someone who was liberal trying to make people think that Trump supporters were racists.  If that's not true hate, I don't know what is.  It sickens me.

You may hate most of the following sites that are reporting these hoaxes, but I couldn't find more of the ones that were on the "liberal" or "mainstream" side of things doing the reporting, or I would have linked them here:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/02/19/1...mplicated/
https://www.nationalreview.com/phi-beta-...an-harden/
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hate-crimes-a...ed-in-2017
https://www.newsweek.com/muslim-hate-cri...nce-741047

For instance, here's the initial reporting about the SDSU muslim student by our local PBS station in SD, but they never update the story with the truth nor do they ever come back later and report the truth that it's a hoax (and it was a BIG deal here): https://www.kpbs.org/news/2016/nov/09/sa...dent-hate/

I said ethnic and religious minorities. Jewish people are ethnic and religious minorities. 

Remember the white lady who said that two Obama supporters attacked her, and she wrote Obama on her face backward? Actually, do you remember the dozens of black men throughout history who have gone to prison or been murdered because of false accusations of raping a white woman? Those false accusations had dire consequences. You're whining about the media when black people have received the death penalty over false accusations. Last year, a white woman called the police on a 9 year old black boy over a false accusation that he groped her. But, you can continue to stick your head in the sand.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2018/08/27/w...g-hearing/

https://theundefeated.com/features/being...es-matter/

https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/15/corne...accusation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_T...gging_hoax

Not everyone lives in your sunny, liberal California, but even California has its history of racism. The rest of us who live in the South and the Rustbelt aren't sheltered from racism. Consider yourself lucky.

By the way, I googled some of those stories and easily found them in the "liberal" media. This whole liberal media thing is a hoax that has led to reporters being attacked by the tin foil hat crowd.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-hate-crime-a-hoax/

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/dec/16/local/me-dunn16

I guess the Brianna Brochu incident was a hoax too even though she was convicted of harassing her black roommate at college.
https://www.essence.com/news/brianna-bro...probation/

Anti-black hate crimes rose 16% last year. Black people have been the most frequent victims every year since they started keeping count almost 30 years ago. These are facts, not a handful of outlier hoaxes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/ever...ms-n938541

In 2017, nearly half of all hate crime victims were black, and we only make up 13% of the population. To make this clearer, out of the over 7,000 hate crimes, about 3,500 involved black victims.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/us/ha...-2017.html
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
For those who don't live in a universe of alternative facts and for those who don't base their views on a handful of anecdotes, these are the FBI hate crime stats for 2016. 

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2016/topic-pages/victims
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I hate to be the one to point this out, but I think the FBI report seems severely off on gender bias. I could probably easily pull up more gender bias motivated hate crimes than what they are listing. Primarily, male partners attacking/killing female partners.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(02-20-2019, 10:54 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: I hate to be the one to point this out, but I think the FBI report seems severely off on gender bias. I could probably easily pull up more gender bias motivated hate crimes than what they are listing. Primarily, male partners attacking/killing female partners.

Domestic violence is not classified as a hate crime. When family members abuse their disabled relatives, which happens more than people know, it's counted as family violence rather than anti-disability violence.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(02-20-2019, 11:00 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:54 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: I hate to be the one to point this out, but I think the FBI report seems severely off on gender bias. I could probably easily pull up more gender bias motivated hate crimes than what they are listing. Primarily, male partners attacking/killing female partners.

Domestic violence is not classified as a hate crime. When family members abuse their disabled relatives, which happens more than people know, it's counted as family violence rather than anti-disability violence.

Which seem ridiculous to me. To really get a look at the numbers, such as for DV particularly against women, it should be counted both as a gender crime and family violence if it's within the family. Disability is the same issue too, because often the DV leads to disability and then the perpetrator continues abusing. In those instances, once the person is disabled, it should be counted both as DV and as anti-disability violence since being disabled often becomes another excuse to abuse. Leave it to the government though to not want to look at intersectionality.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
This a a reality you cant get away from. It exists worldwide, if he wants to drop out because of that comment then I would advise him NEVER to visit any Asian countries, seriously. I thought that comment was polite compared to some of the things I've heard personally.

Suck it up and move on bro, that's life. It isn't the peaceful bed of roses where we all hold hands and sing love songs and have peace. The world isn't what people try to portray. Racism is a real thing in ANY part of the world. In most Caribbean countries where the majority of people are dark skin racism is shown on the basis of hair texture rather than skin colour. So you can't escape it.

He needs to grow some balls, get some grit and move on, not drop out. Cause guess what there's hype now, but a few years later he would have been he one robbed of an education if he drops out.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • Sapientes
(02-20-2019, 12:17 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: ... He needs to grow some balls, get some grit and move on, not drop out. Cause guess what there's hype now, but a few years later he would have been he one robbed of an education if he drops out.

I don't believe he was serious about dropping out, just emphasizing how hurt and sad he was.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,604 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 765 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 611 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  black friday deal Prowritingaid 50% Imbanewbie 7 907 11-25-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,303 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 455 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 742 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 4,035 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 744 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 1,591 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha