Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Board of Governors A.A.S.
1st post
Lately I've been looking into starting a degree program and was doing some research, luckily i ran into the Board of Governors degree program.
one example here Board of Governors A.A.S. | WVU Parkersburg
I've also checked several other West Virginia schools and many of them offer the same program, are there other state schools that offer similar programs?
At this point I have contacted WVU and they have told me I only need 3 courses to graduate from the program ( 2 from their communication/English categories and a computer literacy course).
I do have all other requirements thanks to ALEKS, Military experience, and Clep testing.
Unfortunately for me I have never actually done a college class in the traditional sense whether at a B&M location or distanced learning and am a bit intimidated.

As for my options on completing the required courses in order for me to graduate:
TEEX credits can count towards computer literacy ( working on them now)
Clep English comp
Complete their 3 credit residency requirement by taking a communication course with them

In conclusion
do any other places support programs like this? Besides other west virginia schools.
should i just clep both communication courses and do enroll in WVU's completer literacy course? to spare myself the agony of taking an English course.
what do you recommend as far as preparation for a guy who has never attended college?
I will be heading out to Fort Leonard Wood Missouri in august for 3 months, so I will have easier access to a base college office to hopefully clep a class or two.
Any input, ideas, or suggestions will be appreciated.
thank you.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">Board of Gov WV U no PII.xlsx (Size: 19.36 KB / Downloads: 9)
You won't find any programs like that in the Southern Association because SACS requires that colleges have at least a 25% residency requirement.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Wow, what a great deal! It looks like they only give 3 hours of credit for the CLEP English Comp (ENG 101), but you could combine that with the DSST Technical Writing for their ENG 107 and have your communications requirement fulfilled. I can see where Intro to Computers would be more manageable than English if you are worried about it.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
That's exactly what i was thinking in doing English comp clep and DSST technical writing.
Luckily they accept ACE courses, so maybe i could find an English comp 1, comp 2, technical writing, fundamentals of speech, or interpersonal communications course somewhere that could fulfill the requirements.
KayV Wrote:Wow, what a great deal! It looks like they only give 3 hours of credit for the CLEP English Comp (ENG 101), but you could combine that with the DSST Technical Writing for their ENG 107 and have your communications requirement fulfilled. I can see where Intro to Computers would be more manageable than English if you are worried about it.
Straighterline has them, also Penn Foster if you search the forums or the wiki.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
Yes , I've have definitely researched both StraighterLine and Penn Foster before.
I actually saw and was interested in StraighterLine around late 2011 or early 2012, before the Proctor-U thing happened.
I'm still not sure how i feel about paying for colleges classes since i still have my full GI BIll. haha maybe I'm just being stingy.
Well I know the StraighterLine courses I need run around 70 $ plus Membership, how much do individual Penn Foster courses cost?
I'm not sure how much PF courses cost, but if your CLEP/ DSST are free, why not just study for those? If they don't work out, you could find alternatives then, but if they do, you'll have 6 more credits without spending a semester or two writing essays. Smile
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
PF charges about $79 per credit hour.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
In doing more research on this Board of Governors degree, I realized that out-of-state residents in this program can get reduced tuition rates. Ohio residents are also offered in-state tuition through a reciprocity agreement.

Ohio Residents | WVU Parkersburg
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
Just a quick update,
Here is the program guidelines for the Board of Governors and a list of the colleges that participate in it.
Board of Governors AAS
Also I will be emailing them to see if they accept credit via NCCRS, some of the schools are listed but I want to verify.
West Virginia:Cooperating Colleges and Universities: National CCRS
If anything I will be using DSST and Clep for my English requirements.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschool forums/message board? Goldilocks! 1 659 06-21-2022, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Can We Please Have an Inspirational/I’m Done Board? Tedium 2 633 03-15-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 978 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  From College Board: How Many Q#s You Need To Get Right For Your Desired CLEP Score!! zapproximator 27 21,476 06-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Requesting info on Western Governors University IT corycarbonb 15 2,433 10-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Last Post: corycarbonb
  Completed WVUP Board of Governors AAS Degree! boalex207 45 5,743 08-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  College Board site is down ricky2k2 4 1,411 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: redriver
  anybody ever done Penn Foster to Western Governors University bluebooger 0 2,617 12-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Penn Foster Discussion Board Question AngelaP 2 5,088 08-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Last Post: AngelaP
  abbreviations used on this board cookderosa 23 4,207 01-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Westerner