Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boost GPA & Transcript Question
No, it doesn't void the first C. You still made it. TESU doesn't care, nor should you. If you make an A at your CC, it still becomes a CR when you transfer to TESU, same as the C from the other school.

Let's say you apply to graduate school. That C will still be counted when they compute your undergraduate GPA.

What's a 4.0 anyway? It sort of reminds me of being a valedictorian. http://time.com/money/4779223/valedictor...-up-wrong/ A students work for C students. http://www.richdad.com/Resources/Rich-Da...-fail.aspx
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
(04-24-2018, 04:44 PM)clep3705 Wrote: No, it doesn't void the first C. You still made it. 

Many schools will let you retake a course for a higher grade, and the old grade will not transfer.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-24-2018, 04:40 PM)davewill Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 01:21 PM)tripletmom Wrote: At my CC, my GPA is 4.0.  The psych class from long ago comes in as a transfer credit.  However, when I forward transcripts I have one GPA at 4.0, and the other with this lonely "C".

So I thought if I retook the class from my current CC, I could replace the transfer credit with a letter grade.  This would void the first class essentially, keeping my overall GPA at a 4.0.

A grad school will insist on receiving all transcripts anyway, and will then proceed to calculate your GPA according to their own rules. They will not think anything of the "lonely C", especially if everything else is an "A". Just let it go. A lot of us have much worse on our transcripts than a "C" from a long time ago.

The way I always heard the old joke was:

Q: What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school?
A: Doctor.
Thankyou! I couldn't remember how it goes.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I am 52 years old and returned to school to earn a degree simply for personal gratification.  The goal is to go to law school for advocacy work.  This degree will not help me advance in my current position nor will I change jobs.  I think the GPA would be important for law school, but more than that, a high GPA would serve as a personal success.  It 's the over-achiever in me I guess.  Oh well.

Thank you all for the answers and positive support. Everyone on this forum who takes the time to answer questions should be commended.  You are amazing!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tripletmom's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
Look at the policies of the original CC where you completed the course. They may have a way to remove the grade, but usually you have to retake the course there. I was looking into this recently, and one of the schools had a policy that they would replace the grade with the first attempt with an R and it would no longer factor into the GPO calculation.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
[-] The following 1 user Likes ajs1976a's post:
  • Ideas
(04-24-2018, 09:35 PM)tripletmom Wrote: I am 52 years old and returned to school to earn a degree simply for personal gratification. The goal is to go to law school for advocacy work. This degree will not help me advance in my current position nor will I change jobs. I think the GPA would be important for law school, but more than that, a high GPA would serve as a personal success. It 's the over-achiever in me I guess. Oh well.

Thank you all for the answers and positive support. Everyone on this forum who takes the time to answer questions should be commended. You are amazing!

Your GPA for law school is important, but it's not a case of being an over-achiever, it's a case of not understanding the way transfer credit and GPA are calculated for grad school. Respectfully, you can't erase the C except under 1 specific scenario - you would go back to your school where you earned the C and ask *if* they allow you to retake, will it override the C. They may say yes or no, some colleges have a forgivness policy for Ds and Fs, I expect they will say no, and that even when you retake the C at that college, that it would remain on your transcript.
So, you're looking at 3/120 credits. In order to achieve a higher GPA, you need to add graded credits to your transcript. Most of the time, students at TESU will use ungraded sources for their 100/200 level courses at a bare minimum - if you do that, then the "impact" of the C changes to 3/X
In other words- 3 out of some number. I'll use my own transcript as an example. I had ungraded (pass/fail) credits for 90 of my TESU credits and earned grades on my last 30. So, a single course held a weight of 3 out of 30.
For graduate school, it is likely that ALL of your graded credits - even those that TESU didn't bring in for a grade- will be calculated into one giant GPA.
In short, to raise your GPA, you need to take classes and earn good grades. The more good grades you earn, the more "watered down" that C will become. Before throwing tens of thousands of dollars at this problem, use a simple GPA calculator to check the math. See how much you need to achieve to move the needle- it's not a question of opinion, it's a question of whether or not you can actually do it with the courses you have left. Without posting all of you transcripts and grades, none of us can answer that for you. http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm
Even a forgiveness policy, if your CC allows for it, might not work. Some schools, like my CC, will allow you to retake and forgive the course for your GPA with the CC, but they leave the original failed course on the transcript with a line through it to indicate it's forgiven.

LSAC/Law School Admissions Council, which does the GPA calculation for all ABA approved law schools, specifically mentions that in the case of lined-through courses, they will include them in their GPA calculation even if your original school considers them forgiven.

Quote:Grades Excluded from Conversion

[...]
  • Those removed from the official transcript due to an institution’s academic forgiveness—only if the grade is not displayed on the transcript. A line drawn through course information or a grade does not eliminate the course from GPA calculation.

(via https://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/policies/...marization)

So not only does your school have to have a forgiveness policy, they have to remove all traces of the course from your transcript as part of that policy. Some schools do this, some schools don't.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, Zippadeedoodah
(04-24-2018, 09:35 PM)tripletmom Wrote: I am 52 years old and returned to school to earn a degree simply for personal gratification.  The goal is to go to law school for advocacy work.  This degree will not help me advance in my current position nor will I change jobs.  I think the GPA would be important for law school, but more than that, a high GPA would serve as a personal success.  It 's the over-achiever in me I guess.  Oh well.

Thank you all for the answers and positive support. Everyone on this forum who takes the time to answer questions should be commended.  You are amazing!

You'd be much better off spending the time and money to prepare for the LSAT; which will have a far greater impact on you're attmitance to law school than the the single C calculated into your GPA.  I wish you great luck on your noble goal.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 3 users Like allvia's post:
  • cookderosa, GoodYellowDogs, sarg123

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 420 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,144 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  ASU CIS-194 Transcript vesparza15 3 581 10-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Last Post: vesparza15
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,322 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Quickest and Easiest Way to Boost GPA for State College aetosdios 12 1,207 08-02-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,289 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 609 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Lost transcript mlohjj 13 1,245 11-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,826 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 540 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore