Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riots in England
The riots in London are getting really scary!! I booked a ticket 2 weeks ago in a hotel right where all the commotion is happening and now I decided to cancel the hotel and stay in France instead, but the hotel in London doesn't let us cancel and I think I have a very legitimate reason in wanting to do so.
Any ideas of what I can do?
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
purpleteen Wrote:The riots in London are getting really scary!! I booked a ticket 2 weeks ago in a hotel right where all the commotion is happening and now I decided to cancel the hotel and stay in France instead, but the hotel in London doesn't let us cancel and I think I have a very legitimate reason in wanting to do so.
Any ideas of what I can do?

Go ahead and cancel, tell the credit card company not to allow charges to be made, but let them know what you did. I thought hotels had a certain time period that you could cancel?
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
CLEP101 Wrote:Go ahead and cancel, tell the credit card company not to allow charges to be made, but let them know what you did. I thought hotels had a certain time period that you could cancel?
The hotel didn't have any info about canceling on their site.
I told the credit card to cancel and they said they can't do it if the hotel said that I can't cancel...I sent an email to the hotel telling them that I'm canceling the payment but they didn't respond yet.
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
What about canceling your credit card and telling your credit card company your purse was stolen. The payment shouldn't go through then. It might be a bit of a hassle to get a new credit card at first, but it might be well worth it in the end...(speaking from experience)
Set yourself goals, not limitations
As a cardholder you have all of the rights. You can certainly cancel this. On the other hand, I would also worry about riots in France. France has a history of violent riots as well.
Do not go to the UK. Someone was found dead yesterday. It is very serious.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Tasman, please tell me you were joking. I can't believe you'd be suggesting that someone lie. Purpleteen, I've never heard about not being able to cancel a hotel. Did you buy it as part of a package? Did you buy it from some discount place that said that you couldn't cancel? If it is either of them, you may be out of pocket. My only gamble is on travel. I never buy trip insurance. Once of these days it's going to bite me in the butt. I wouldn't be afraid to travel to London these days, I'd just stay out of the areas where people are rioting. (Of course, I'd be surprised if there were still riots in two weeks.)
I booked it with a Travel Agency who said they won't charge until we get there... Because of the riots so many people are trying to cancel since the hotel is right where all the riots are. I didn't buy it in a package or at a discount place. On their website it didn't mention anything about cancellations. All it said was: "In the event of a no show or booking reduction (after arrival date) no refund will be given." I'm not being a "no show," I'm canceling 2 weeks beforehand. I was told they weren't charging till I arrive anyway...
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
Are you sure it's not on their web site? They don't call is "[SIZE="1"]small print[/SIZE]" for nothing. (I'd have made it smaller font if this site had that option. Small print and gobbledygook to fry your brain so you won't read it.)
LaterBloomer Wrote:Are you sure it's not on their web site? They don't call is "[SIZE="1"]small print[/SIZE]" for nothing. (I'd have made it smaller font if this site had that option. Small print and gobbledygook to fry your brain so you won't read it.)
ya...I checked for small print Wink
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]