Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boredom
Hi. I am so close to the finish line (4 clep exams and one senior paper). I am 'trying' to tackle biology clep and having horrible experience. I am so bored! I have the time to be studying - and I thought because I really want to finish this I would have the energy, but I can't seem to put up with the boredom!!

Can anyone else relate to this? Perhaps I need to register for exam date ...and that will force me to knuckle down. I feel so pathetic. Any suggestions? Please any words of wisdom are welcome.
Set a date for the exam.
1allisun Wrote:Hi. I am so close to the finish line (4 clep exams and one senior paper). I am 'trying' to tackle biology clep and having horrible experience. I am so bored! I have the time to be studying - and I thought because I really want to finish this I would have the energy, but I can't seem to put up with the boredom!!

Can anyone else relate to this? Perhaps I need to register for exam date ...and that will force me to knuckle down. I feel so pathetic. Any suggestions? Please any words of wisdom are welcome.
BA Social Sciences TESC 2009

CLEP
Humanities 64 | Intro Sociology 74 | Intro Psychology 74 | College Mathematics 60 | H.G. & Dev. 66
A&I Literature 65 | Educational Psychology 71 | American Government 67 | US History I 67 | US History II 72
Social Sciences & History 65 | English Comp 63
DSST
Civil War 61 | Substance Abuse 463 | Intro Computing 465 | Technical Writing 66 | Anthropology 66 | Prin. of Supervision 62
Enviro & Humanity 68 | Org Behavior 67 | Astronomy 60 | Ethics 467
ECE
World Population A | Research Methods in Psychology A | Adulthood & Aging A | Gerontology A | UExcel Political Science B

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Read My Story[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"] Tested out of 120 credits in 11 months. Started with [COLOR="Blue"]0[/COLOR] credits on April 20, 2008 - Finished on March 18th 2009
[/SIZE][COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="Navy"]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="#800080"][COLOR="#4B0082"]If you've been helped by someone on this forum then help someone on this forum.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]
oh biology..... sigh.......it was almost my brick wall.

Read my siggy line, and simply decide- is your degree worth it? If no, that's ok, college isn't for everyone.

NOT!!!!!!
You can do it, just work in baby steps or find plan B. Can you use another science? I found BIO210 Nutrition was a better fit for me than another semester of general biology.
1allisun Wrote:Hi. I am so close to the finish line (4 clep exams and one senior paper). I am 'trying' to tackle biology clep and having horrible experience. I am so bored! I have the time to be studying - and I thought because I really want to finish this I would have the energy, but I can't seem to put up with the boredom!!

I know exactly what you are talking about
Take a little time and focus, do some reading on your goals. What will getting your degree do for you? Focus on that for a little bit! That will get you going. Doing biology will be worth the end result!
Passed:

CLEP: Macro 68
CLEP: Micro 63
CLEP: Sociology 58
CLEP: Psychology: 66
CLEP: Educational Psych: 63
CLEP: Human Growth and dev: 64
CLEP: American Government: 60

Next up:

Alecks Statistics 52% complete 18 More % to go hilarious Wink hilarious
I think you should make your goal more specific as it will get you to success easier. Of course, you'd better get off the bordem first. How about watching a movie, eating lots of icecream or perhapas talking to someone who can encourage you.
Thanks to all for responding. I am lucky because last week I had ordered the 'Biology Smart' text that everyone was touting and it came in mail yesterday. This will make all the difference. Also, I ended up re-reading the first five pages of the REA bio book i have (ya, for the umpteenth time) but I noticed improvement in my ability to retain some of the info and this has encouraged and provided me with momentum.

I will take the bio in four weeks. On another subject, I DO want to use my liberal studies B.A. for something, but my gpa is 2.7! At this stage (37 and hoping to leave retail management) it's all about returning to complete the project I dropped a decade ago.

A happy and healthy new year/holidays to all!
Hang in there....biology is a PAIN but it's doable. I got bored and fed up with it too....but it'll soon be over! Make yourself flashcard notecards with every (or almost every) bolded term in the REA book. That's what saved me. Big Grin I didn't have time to do all the IC biology questions 4x each (which was my normal IC procedure).

And yes, schedule the exam with a hard-and-fast date. The sooner the better. Smile
cookderosa Wrote:oh biology..... sigh.......it was almost my brick wall.

Read my siggy line, and simply decide- is your degree worth it? If no, that's ok, college isn't for everyone.

NOT!!!!!!
You can do it, just work in baby steps or find plan B. Can you use another science? I found BIO210 Nutrition was a better fit for me than another semester of general biology.

Too funny! Big Grin

Glad to hear you have Biology Smart. I had the same problem, and this book helped to keep me engaged. It has short chapters and tons of quizzes, so you move quickly and retain the info. You're almost to the finish line!!! Hang in there.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Good suggestions! Boredom (or fear that I won't finish) are things I desire to avoid desperately. I think "thatbrian"'s suggestion, "Set a date for the exam" is probably one of the most efficient methods (something I need to do for my next exam).
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]