Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottega U vs UofPeople - BS Computer Science
It's a battle of the Nationally Accredited BS - Computer Science options!  Here are the contenders!
Bottega University bought out New Charter University in 2019 and renamed it last year in 2020.
Individuals can get an NA Associates & Bachelors through either of them and get an RA Masters to finish.

Associates (Business, Communications, Computer Science)
Bachelors (Business, Communications, Computer Science)
Masters: Only the MBA

Link: https://bottega.edu/  Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottega_University
Program Link: https://bottega.edu/bachelor-of-science-...-business/
Up to 75% exam/transfer credit - Undergrad Tuition is $897/3 month term - https://bottega.edu/tuition/

UofPeople is a larger university, however; I think they're both run equally at a mediocre rating.
Unless UofPeople gets RA status, it's going to be a very comparable offering in price point to Bottega.
I would compare the overall content, cost, courses required, etc and see which is better.

Associates: Business, Computer Science, Health Sciences
Bachelors: Business, Computer Science, Health Sciences
Masters: MBA, M.Ed 

Link: https://www.uopeople.edu/  Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_People
Program Link: https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/cs/deg...-degree-2/
Up to 75% exam/transfer credit - Undergrad Fees: https://www.uopeople.edu/tuition-free/processing-fees/

You can take 90 credits from CLEP, Saylor.org and/or Sophia.org, any ACE provider you prefer, then finish the final 30 credits with either school.  I think both institutions will cost about the same in the long run, depending on how fast you can finish at Bottega.  Which would you choose?  If you're an international student, either pick would be great!  If you're in the US, I would recommend RA instead.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
How does bottega courses go?
All at the same time and last 3 month or like UMPI one after the other?

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
Why choose it over TESU's BA in Computer Science?
(06-10-2021, 05:25 AM)Kab Wrote: How does bottega courses go?
All at the same time and last 3 month or like UMPI one after the other?

It says that you can take up to 4 courses per 3-month term. That brings the cost to $225 per class. It says that there are 41 courses required. 11 terms x $897 is $9867 if you take everything from them.

(06-10-2021, 06:36 AM)msa145 Wrote: Why choose it over TESU's BA in Computer Science?

Cost. If you only need to take 30 credits with them, that's 10 courses or 3 terms. Or slightly less than $3k. That's not even half of what it costs to get a degree at TESU. The real question would be why you should choose this over UMPI's soon-to-be CS degree. UMPI is sure to be about the same cost and it'll be RA to boot.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • msa145
I supouse that the icing on the cake will be that somehow they let you do 5 courses per 3 months. This way you have it. Heaper than UMPI and its a valid option still. Or they let you transfer in 96 credits...
One cal always wish, no?

(06-10-2021, 07:37 AM)Kab Wrote: I supouse that the icing on the cake will be that somehow they let you do 5 courses per 3 months. This way you have it. Heaper than UMPI and its a valid option still. Or they let you transfer in 96 credits...
One cal always wish, no?

Not necessarily cheaper than UMPI. UMPI is RA and doesn't currently have a CS or IT program. There is no limit on how many courses you can complete in a term at UMPI. I did 8 one term and that works out to $175 per course. UMPI is also a state school which carries more recognition than a NA school no one has ever heard of. UMPI is open to international students as well. They have a pretty decent size international program and have a special program just for Canadians.

One thing to find out would be if there's faculty and how assignments are graded. If it's like UofPeople eek. They have volunteers for professors and students grade each other's papers. There's been some folks on here who tried UofP and it was a disaster. The school doesn't have their act together even when it comes to something as basic as processing transcripts.
As an example where someone would take the Bottega BS Comp Sci degree; For an international student who just wants an NA or CHEA/USDOE recognized Bachelors to get into say a graduate program that accepts NA schools for entry - let's just say Walden's MBA Tempo or Purdue Global's MSIT Exceltrack options, this will work for that purpose and inexpensively.

Why would they go for this? Because you can get an Associates & Bachelors by taking 12 courses (3 terms) and it'll be under $2700.  The "hidden reveal" is that, if you couple this with the FREE TEEX Cybersecurity, $49 Google IT Support Professional, $49 Google Automation with Python, you've got a pretty good "knowledge base" to show for on your CV/Resume.

In fact, this would go well with the ENEB/UC1 MBA & Masters for an amazingly cheap, easy, fast - Associates/Bachelors/Masters combo.  But that's not the reason I would go for Bottega, the real reason is because individuals can get their Associates/Bachelors in CS and they get a FREE ACE 17 credit micro credential, a Full-Stack Development Cert that costs $3000 alone for students who aren't going for a degree!

Essentially if I look at it a different way, the Bottega Full-Stack Dev Cert is a 6 course $3000 micro-cred, I save $300 and I get the Associates & Bachelors for FREE.  But I like it the other way around, pay for the Associates/Bachelors and have the Full Stack as the Freebie add-on... as those required 6 courses are actually in the Associates degree which can ladder into the Bachelors - just transfer in 90 ACE credits and you're done!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I've been plugging away towards certs for Purdue University Global's B.P.S, but this Bottega C.S. degree has me interested.

If I'm understanding bjcheung right, just doing the Full Stack certificate here and the ACE credit elsewhere would get me the CS bachelors degree?

Computer Science is definitely going to look better on the resume for tech jobs, even if it is some NA program that is Computer Science Business.

Is Bottega self-paced sort of format?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
(06-23-2021, 01:32 PM)xicovu Wrote: I've been plugging away towards certs for Purdue University Global's B.P.S, but this Bottega C.S. degree has me interested.

If I'm understanding bjcheung right, just doing the Full Stack certificate here and the ACE credit elsewhere would get me the CS bachelors degree?

Computer Science is definitely going to look better on the resume for tech jobs, even if it is some NA program that is Computer Science Business.

Is Bottega self-paced sort of format?

Bottega is "Nationally" accredited. This is "worse" than the "Regional" accreditation that Purdue Global has. If you are international, some countries will accept a regionally-accredited degree but do not view nationally-accredited degrees as being valid American degrees. Also, there are American schools that will not accept a nationally accredited degree for admission purposes if you wish to pursue a Master's degree.

Under those circumstances, a better option for students would either be the currently-available CS degree at TESU or the one that we are still waiting for at UMPI. TESU can be self-paced to a degree. UMPI is self-paced by design.

If you are still interested in Bottega, firstly it is self-paced. But you are only allowed to complete 3 classes per term. This artificially inflates the price of the degree. 

Bottega limits you to 90 transfer credits. The Fullstack certificate is 15 or 18 credits. 

Just looking at the courses required to obtain the BSCS, I don't think that you'd be able to bring in the full 90 credits that are allowed. I would have to add everything up, but it looks more like about 60 credits can be transferred in from alternate sources. This assumes that the alternate sources are even accepted. 

Assuming that you were able to transfer enough in to leave 45 credits that need to be taken at Bottega, that's 15 courses that would need to be taken over 5 terms. At about $900 per term, you'd be paying $4500 + however much you paid for the alternate credits to get this degree. This is only marginally less expensive than TESU.

In general, avoid Bottega. Get your degree somewhere else.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
University of the People computer science student here.

Application was quick and easy. Four transcripts were submitted and transfer evaluations were completed within a couple of days.

Academic adviser has always responded to my questions and requests within 24 hours.

I have a CS degree plan. With transfers I have 10 courses to complete with University of the People. Perhaps 11. Depends on if I choose to complete Calculus or 1 other course via ACE-recommended or not. I am working on my 4th presently.

Looks like my cost for this path, from when I first applied to projected completion, will be under $2200 and possibly under $2000. Had I gone BSBA I would be knocking this out much faster and the cost would definitely be < $2k.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IIT Guwahati BSc in Data Science & AI on Coursera Tomas 3 633 07-21-2023, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,520 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  UMGC or SNHU Computer Science program. coryjunior19 8 4,352 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786
Information New ASU EA Course: BIO 130 Intro to Environmental Science MNomadic 8 1,484 06-09-2022, 11:35 PM
Last Post: jch
  PennWest California AS Technical Studies & BS Science & Technology Multidisciplinary Jonathan Whatley 7 1,210 03-24-2022, 06:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Self-paced science prerequisites, standalone labs sanantone 7 1,415 09-23-2021, 04:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fundamentals of computer science RA credit course? nomaduser 6 1,396 01-15-2021, 01:55 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Physical Science Lab, do I need lab??? tls7291 4 1,168 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Last Post: dfrecore