Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand New - Designing a Business Marketing Plan at TESU
Hi all!

First off, Im quite new to this process. I have done some extensive research but I still feel like I'm missing a good chunk of the info I need.

Ive worked in the entertainment industry for the last 10 years and have decided to change up my life a bit. I plan on moving to Korea to teach English, but such visa requirements are a bachelors degree in any subject. This led me to DSST, CLEP, Study.com w/ TESU. This has led me to the following questions:

1. If I use these tests for all of the degree, does this still count as a 4 year degree? Even if its completed in a much shorter period of time?

2. Whats the most efficient way in building a plan w/ CLEP, DSST, Study.com, etc? Most cost effective, least time consuming, etc. Im planning on committing nearly 100% of my time over the next year to try and complete this.

3. Are you required to take ANY classes through TESU? Capstone, etc?

4. Which tests are the easiest? Most affordable? Etc. Obviously it'll be case dependent, but just speaking in general terms.

5. If I commit at least 8 hours a day, assuming Im pretty quick and already have a substantial amount of knowledge in this field, how long could this realistically take me? How much will it cost?

I really appreciate all your patience and if I've been redundant at all, my apologies!

Thanks again,
Edward
Welcome!

Yes, it is a legitimate Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university. People may question it or not understand it, but it's real and legit!

You are required to take 2 classes (6 credit hours) through TESU and that includes your Capstone class.

Ease of a test depends on too many individual variables to be able to accurately say. There have been some classes I've taken that I thought were really easy and others have found difficult and vice versa. It depends on your past learning/experiences and also your personal learning style and the way the material is presented. Whatever you have a lot of experience, prior learning in, or enjoyment of is likely going to be easier for you. As for ease of use, I really like Study.com and Sophia.org. They are very user friendly. Most of their classes are also presented where you can either read the text or watch a video (or both!) so they cater to different learning styles. I also really like how you can study small chunks at a time if you just have a little time here or there.

Right now, Sophia courses are free (through the end of July) so I would recommend hopping on there and taking as much as possible. I've done a lot of their courses and have really enjoyed most of them! From what I'm aware of, Modern States is still giving out vouchers for free CLEP tests so that would be another cost effective route. The problem with that right now is finding a testing center that is still open. But CLEPs can be a great way to knock out a lot of credits at a time. They have several tests that are worth 6 credits each which is very helpful. The downside to CLEPs is that they are a one test, pass/fail option so for people with high test anxiety they may not be the best choice. If that doesn't make you too nervous though (and there is an open testing center nearby), I highly recommend CLEP!

I got my BA in about a year. I started in March 2018 with 12 prior credits, had all my outside classes finished by end of January 2019, started my Capstone at TESU in February, had finished all my papers by the end of March, Capstone class ended in April, and I officially graduated in June 2019. I was working part-time (~25hrs) and doing school part-time. Towards the end, I just wanted to power through and get it done so I was probably doing school more full-time. So it's definitely possible to do in a year - and I know there are some here who have done it faster than that!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
Thank you so much!!

Another quick question! Is anyone aware of a chart that shows DSST, CLEP, Study.com, Etc, equivalencies to TESU classes?
For SDC, there is this: https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

DSST: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst

CLEP: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

General exam page: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/o...m-programs
1 yes, same degree, same accreditation
2 start w/ sophia, for TESU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...es-at-TESU
3 yes, capstone and cornerstone
4 depends, start w/ sophia
5 all depends, if you have substantial knowledge you might be able to fast track
Sophia.org has about 30 free classes right now. They're free until July 31st. I would start there. Gen ed credits are always helpful. They'll all be lower level courses, but are transferrable to most schools and they're free so even if you need to to take an advanced class later, you'll have just taken the foundation course.
Thank you all so much! One more question...are there any specific perks to TESU over Excelsior?
TESU has more degrees available. Their transfer requirements are also less opaque (IMO) even though they aren't always the clearest. Their cost seems to be lower than Excelsior, in many cases, as well.
Im curious, how so? It seems TESU has the highest cost non resident fee? Am I missing something?
If need any degree. Is there a specific reason you are picking marketing? Do you have any prior credit at all?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 593 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 214 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 205 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 187 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 352 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,070 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 385 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 212 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 484 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM