Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand new and looking for guidance
Hello!! I was very excited to find this forum as I have recently started looking into getting my bachelors degree. I am a single mom and will be turning 40 next year. I have  been a financial planner for the last 16 years of my career and have lost my passion for the financial industry.  I am looking to make a change into medical device sales and therefore, need to get my bachelors degree as soon as possible. I have no transferable credits but have always been a great test taker. Before I start calling schools, I thought I might ask for some suggestions on the quickest and least expensive route in reaching my goal. Thank you in advance for any helpful import. :-) Shawn
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shawnnichole's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
Welcome. Here is the link to the Wiki Page for the forum (it was moved somewhat recently): https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I think that you have 3 good options here:

1) BSBA from WGU, if you can quickly do 90cr and transfer those in, and finish the remaining 30cr in a single term. That would be the fastest option (and possibly the cheapest)

2) BSBA from COSC - also cheap, you can figure out your price up front (no guesswork, if you don't finish in a single term like WGU)

3) BSLS degree from COSC (BS in Liberal Studies), it is VERY flexible. You could use business courses to fill a lot of the degree, including creating a major having to do with it just because you're probably going to be able to quickly get those credits. Maybe do a Business/Communications concentration, something that will be easy to find inexpensive credits for.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun
(12-21-2019, 02:50 AM)Thank you!! This is feels very confusing and overwhelming. Would it be wise for me to call the schools and speak with them about how to find the classes that have cheap/inexpensive credits? This is all so foreign.  Is there someone I can hire that may be able to guide me through this process. My life is already a juggling act and trying to navigate this on top of it is daunting. Thank you!! Wrote: I think that you have 3 good options here:

1) BSBA from WGU, if you can quickly do 90cr and transfer those in, and finish the remaining 30cr in a single term.  That would be the fastest option (and possibly the cheapest)

2) BSBA from COSC - also cheap, you can figure out your price up front (no guesswork, if you don't finish in a single term like WGU)

3) BSLS degree from COSC (BS in Liberal Studies), it is VERY flexible.  You could use business courses to fill a lot of the degree, including creating a major having to do with it just because you're probably going to be able to quickly get those credits.  Maybe do a Business/Communications concentration, something that will be easy to find inexpensive credits for.
(12-30-2019, 07:49 PM)Shawnnichole Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 02:50 AM)Thank you!! This is feels very confusing and overwhelming. Would it be wise for me to call the schools and speak with them about how to find the classes that have cheap/inexpensive credits? This is all so foreign.  Is there someone I can hire that may be able to guide me through this process. My life is already a juggling act and trying to navigate this on top of it is daunting. Thank you!! Wrote: I think that you have 3 good options here:

1) BSBA from WGU, if you can quickly do 90cr and transfer those in, and finish the remaining 30cr in a single term.  That would be the fastest option (and possibly the cheapest)

3) BSLS degree from COSC (BS in Liberal Studies), it is VERY flexible.  You could use business courses to fill a lot of the degree, including creating a major having to do with it just because you're probably going to be able to quickly get those credits.  Maybe do a Business/Communications concentration, something that will be easy to find inexpensive credits for.

The schools won't tell you how to get alternative credit, unfortunately (they don't make money when you don't take classes through them).

I PM'd you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-18-2019, 03:59 PM)Shawnnichole Wrote: Hello!! I was very excited to find this forum as I have recently started looking into getting my bachelors degree. I am a single mom and will be turning 40 next year. I have  been a financial planner for the last 16 years of my career and have lost my passion for the financial industry.  I am looking to make a change into medical device sales and therefore, need to get my bachelors degree as soon as possible. I have no transferable credits but have always been a great test taker. Before I start calling schools, I thought I might ask for some suggestions on the quickest and least expensive route in reaching my goal. Thank you in advance for any helpful import. :-) Shawn

Read, read, read on this forum.   You'll start to understand more each day.  

BTW, you are young.   I got my LVN at 23, my AS at 36, my BS at 60, and I'm working on my first Masters now, plan to do a second Masters and a JD Smile

I was also a single parent Smile
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 342 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New, looking for guidance, no credits BinaS 3 975 01-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Guidance Dlutrick 0 693 10-10-2019, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Dlutrick
  Fast BACS pre-plan degree or guidance help haxhaxhax 15 2,688 09-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thoughts on the value of a non STEM "Big Brand" bachelors degree as an adult student Stoic 6 1,798 06-26-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Degree path guidance for new dad Tarka 27 3,892 05-29-2019, 11:10 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Need Guidance On Remaining Exams Bachinayr 13 2,567 03-01-2019, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Bachinayr
  Guidance for Newbie katelynn 9 1,884 05-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Last Post: katelynn
  Guidance Needed Re Earning Undergrad Degree in English and/or Mathematics SunflowerGal 29 5,216 01-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU :: Psychology Testing Resource Guidance HAYDENTREE77 13 3,400 01-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: HAYDENTREE77