Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullying in College , What do I do next?
I'm currently going through a situation that requires action but I don't know what to do.  There is a two people who are bullying me , one of them a woman and another a male follower. The female in this incident has been told to stay away from me but hasn't and continues to threaten me and says that she will never stop and doesn't plan to anytime soon. I'm ignoring her but I feel I should take further action. Is it best to keep ignoring or do something more ?
Have you tried a restraining order or talking to your school
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

If they're saying and doing things like that, you should definitely contact the appropriate person at the school. Maybe even law enforcement depending.
-Consider having a Friend walk with you between classes.
- If they start harassing or threatening you in person, it may be a good idea to record it on your phone. If through text/social media, definitely screenshot or otherwise record the interactions.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I would say to talk to the school about switching class sections if it is an in-person class. If the students are forced to switch classes they will still know your section and can come back to harrass you. If you switch sections then they won't know your schedule... problem solved.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(02-22-2019, 10:20 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: I would say to talk to the school about switching class sections if it is an in-person class. If the students are forced to switch classes they will still know your section and can come back to harrass you. If you switch sections then they won't know your schedule... problem solved.

Sorry but I don't think that would solve the problem. Harassers and bullies aren't thwarted by a simple changing of schedules. Depending on campus size, it's still very probable that they may run into each other. It's also probable that an irrational bully may seek their desired victims out and find them wherever they are(not hard these days especially with Facebook).

Switching courses would be a bandaid. There should probably be some kind of intervention from an authority such as the school or law enforcement, so that the perpetrator understands that continued transgressions will result in actions from the school and can potentially escalate to legal actions. 

Record what you can, document or write down anything else that has already happened or that you are unable to record. If you need to build any kind of case, even if informal, it will be much easier to have it documented or recorded.

Try to surround yourself with friends. If they're cyber bullying/stalking, block them, raise privacy settings and avoid social media. 

I don't know the situation but you shouldn't have to tolerate that.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Sapientes
Do everything suggested- especially to assure you're documenting, but also immediately sign up for karate or self-defense. You'll feel a zillion times more confident and that will come through in your body language. Fear feeds bullies. So, while it's true you can do things if they break the law, you can't ever control what others think or feel or whether or not they are jerks. Instead, control your place in the world and don't allow yourself to be victimized. Self-defense is not being the aggressor, it's being able to defend yourself if need be. PS even something like carrying mace will make you feel more powerful in your own body.
(02-22-2019, 10:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Sorry but I don't think that would solve the problem. Harassers and bullies aren't thwarted by a simple changing of schedules. Depending on campus size, it's still very probable that they may run into each other. It's also probable that an irrational bully may seek their desired victims out and find them wherever they are(not hard these days especially with Facebook).

Switching courses would be a bandaid. There should probably be some kind of intervention from an authority such as the school or law enforcement, so that the perpetrator understands that continued transgressions will result in actions from the school and can potentially escalate to legal actions. 

Record what you can, document or write down anything else that has already happened or that you are unable to record. If you need to build any kind of case, even if informal, it will be much easier to have it documented or recorded.

Try to surround yourself with friends. If they're cyber bullying/stalking, block them, raise privacy settings and avoid social media. 

I don't know the situation but you shouldn't have to tolerate that.
I'm not saying in place of your advice or of talking to the school about it. However, authorities often don't take these issues serious enough and people can get hurt. This happens all the time even with police. Sometimes it's best to take some defensive measure by removing oneself from the situation. There's always the option of switching schools too. Only the OP can really say how threatened they feel and what would be an appropriate measure.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(02-22-2019, 10:12 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Have you tried a restraining order or talking to your school

I'm considering this. I've talked with my school but it seems as if they take it with a grain of salt. It's a very distressing and confusing experience. I thought that once we were out of HS , bullying stopped but apparently not.
(02-23-2019, 09:04 PM)2L8 Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 10:12 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Have you tried a restraining order or talking to your school

I'm considering this. I've talked with my school but it seems as if they take it with a grain of salt. It's a very distressing and confusing experience. I thought that once we were out of HS , bullying stopped but apparently not.

I think this sounds more like stalking than bullying.  You should definitely talk to the police, and ask if they have any type of stalking laws - many places now do.  I would also escalate this at the school, tell them you're being threatened (do NOT use the word bullying, use the word THREATENED which is much stronger), tell them that you're going to the police, and that you demand that they take this seriously or you will hire a lawyer to make them take this seriously.

I wouldn't put up with that, I would make a fuss and make people do something.  Or at least try.  The people doing this should be suspended and banned from campus - if you were a guy doing this to a girl, and went to one of those tribunals, that's what would happen.  They need to take this seriously because it is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • 2L8, ROYISAGIRL, Sapientes
(02-23-2019, 09:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 09:04 PM)2L8 Wrote:

I think this sounds more like stalking than bullying.  You should definitely talk to the police, and ask if they have any type of stalking laws - many places now do.  I would also escalate this at the school, tell them you're being threatened (do NOT use the word bullying, use the word THREATENED which is much stronger), tell them that you're going to the police, and that you demand that they take this seriously or you will hire a lawyer to make them take this seriously.

I wouldn't put up with that, I would make a fuss and make people do something.  Or at least try.  The people doing this should be suspended and banned from campus - if you were a guy doing this to a girl, and went to one of those tribunals, that's what would happen.  They need to take this seriously because it is.

Exactly , it's very sad that you have to raise hell to get things done but I'd rather put up a fight than to suffer in silence , I won't lie this is exhausting and terrifying.  This is the route I am taking. But I will also be taking the other's advice as well. Thank you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,453 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  College Tour Alpha 0 563 12-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Biden free college a reality? Seagull 45 4,049 04-09-2021, 03:19 PM
Last Post: dfrecore