Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Administration Degree Plan Help?!
I want to get a business administration degree (with a focus on marketing) from Excelsior, Thomas Edison, or Charter Oak.

my first question is which school do you guys recommend out of those three? ive heard good and bad stuff about TESU but im not sure.

my second question is assuming i have no credits and i want to use ACE (and all of their approved schools such as study.com, saylor, CLEPS, DANTES, etc) what is a good strategy of plan? which classes from where should i begin to take and in what order? 

i contacted TESU about what the classes needed to get the business degree were but they told me they cant discuss the specific classes (such as general education like algebra 1, composition, etc.) unless i enrolled. that was somewhat annoying because if i dont have the entire list of classes i need then its hard for me to target what classes to look for on ACE, NCCRS, CLEPS or DANTES.

please if anyone could help and tell me what courses id need to target so i dont waste my time. and if you have any suggestions as to what order i should take and target them.
A good starting point is to work on your GenEd classes. Here is a link to the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General Management (BSBA-GM), though you may want to go for one with a specialization (such as a BSBA-Accounting, for example). https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/general-management

And here is a link to a guide for what ACE classes count as what (though it is far from exhaustive):
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ly_1,_2015

(Note that, for the BSBA, there are specific math requirements, which you can see at the first link.)

Now, in terms of giving you advice on which options to pick, did you want to focus mostly on tests or classes? Or want to get a taste of both before deciding which to emphasize?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
None of the schools will tell you how to get alternative credit for their courses - their job is to make the school money, and that won't do it.

Instead, you'll have to plan out your degree with help from us here.

All 3 schools have pros and cons. I would spend time looking on this forum to figure out what those are, and then decide. You should also look at WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-06-2019, 04:40 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: A good starting point is to work on your GenEd classes. Here is a link to the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General Management (BSBA-GM), though you may want to go for one with a specialization (such as a BSBA-Accounting, for example). https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/general-management

And here is a link to a guide for what ACE classes count as what (though it is far from exhaustive):

(Note that, for the BSBA, there are specific math requirements, which you can see at the first link.)

Now, in terms of giving you advice on which options to pick, did you want to focus mostly on tests or classes? Or want to get a taste of both before deciding which to emphasize?

Thank you, that was very informative. I wanted to specialize in marketing. 
And as to answer your question, I'd like to focus on testing out as much as possible. 

But I'd also like your opinion if it came down to mainly taking classes. 
Thank you

(03-06-2019, 05:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: None of the schools will tell you how to get alternative credit for their courses - their job is to make the school money, and that won't do it.

All 3 schools have pros and cons.  I would spend time looking on this forum to figure out what those are, and then decide.  You should also look at WGU.

Yeah, I figured. That's a big reason I asked here. Do you by any chance have any assistance with planning the degree I mentioned. Your reply is greatly appreciated, and I'm sure other new people would like help as well. 
Thank you
(03-06-2019, 09:21 PM)Paul.Salazar9648 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 04:40 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: A good starting point is to work on your GenEd classes. Here is a link to the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General Management (BSBA-GM), though you may want to go for one with a specialization (such as a BSBA-Accounting, for example). https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/general-management

I should clarify my terms a bit. Almost all of the credits we talk about here fall under the category sometimes called "testing out", which basically means anything that is not directly taken through a college. Within that "testing out" category there are two subcategories: "one and done" tests (where all you do is study for and take the test), or "classes" that have other aspects (quizzes/assignments) so that the final exam makes up a smaller portion of your overall grade. A lot of people prefer that route, but some prefer just taking a test and being done. Almost all degrees will require some self-paced "classes" rather than just tests.

If you're comfortable with proctored tests that are "one and done", you can do CLEPs for free. You can knock out a lot of the gen-eds/business core that way if you want. But again, some prefer a little more structure than having to find your own study material.
(03-06-2019, 05:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: None of the schools will tell you how to get alternative credit for their courses - their job is to make the school money, and that won't do it.

All 3 schools have pros and cons.  I would spend time looking on this forum to figure out what those are, and then decide.  You should also look at WGU.

Yeah, I figured. That's a big reason I asked here. Do you by any chance have any assistance with planning the degree I mentioned. Your reply is greatly appreciated, and I'm sure other new people would like help as well. 
Thank you
There's a BSBA-Marketing plan floating around here somewhere. If anyone has it on hand, it'd be dfrecore. Here's the link to the degree requirements so you can knock out the more self-explanatory ones:

https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/marketing

If you want to get a taste of how CLEPs go, my recommendation is to take Analyzing & Interpreting Literature - it'll knock out six of your GenEd credits and it's considered a pretty easy test that doesn't require much studying if you have good reading comprehension. Go to ModernStates.org and do their prep course so you can get a voucher to do the CLEP for free.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • suzycupcake
(03-06-2019, 11:30 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

I should clarify my terms a bit. Almost all of the credits we talk about here fall under the category sometimes called "testing out", which basically means anything that is not directly taken through a college. Within that "testing out" category there are two subcategories: "one and done" tests (where all you do is study for and take the test), or "classes" that have other aspects (quizzes/assignments) so that the final exam makes up a smaller portion of your overall grade. A lot of people prefer that route, but some prefer just taking a test and being done. Almost all degrees will require some self-paced "classes" rather than just tests.

If you're comfortable with proctored tests that are "one and done", you can do CLEPs for free. You can knock out a lot of the gen-eds/business core that way if you want. But again, some prefer a little more structure than having to find your own study material.

Thank you
There's a BSBA-Marketing plan floating around here somewhere. If anyone has it on hand, it'd be dfrecore. Here's the link to the degree requirements so you can knock out the more self-explanatory ones:

If you want to get a taste of how CLEPs go, my recommendation is to take Analyzing & Interpreting Literature - it'll knock out six of your GenEd credits and it's considered a pretty easy test that doesn't require much studying if you have good reading comprehension. Go to ModernStates.org and do their prep course so you can get a voucher to do the CLEP for free.

OK, I understand now about what you meant about classes VS testing. I'd prefer some structure with quizzes and stuff before the final.

And I saw that BSBA marketing plan from TESU but it's kind of vague. If I can't find a plan here then how do I go about building my own plan. That link explains all the general education, but what about the other 60 credits? Where can I find a similar list of what is accepted for that major? Or how can I build my own plan, how do I know where to look?

Like where and how can I find specific classes that'll meet the criteria. I was hoping someone had done this before and could share what they did after the Gen Ed credits for their BSBA and worked for them so I can follow the same or similar path.
(03-07-2019, 08:09 AM)Paul.Salazar9648 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 11:30 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Thank you

OK, I understand now about what you meant about classes VS testing. I'd prefer some structure with quizzes and stuff before the final.

And I saw that BSBA marketing plan from TESU but it's kind of vague. If I can't find a plan here then how do I go about building my own plan. That link explains all the general education, but what about the other 60 credits? Where can I find a similar list of what is accepted for that major? Or how can I build my own plan, how do I know where to look?

Like where and how can I find specific classes that'll meet the criteria. I was hoping someone had done this before and could share what they did after the Gen Ed credits for their BSBA and worked for them so I can follow the same or similar path.

Not 100% answering the question but take a look at WGU. They are very clear about what classes you can transfer over, and in terms of time, SL will almost always be faster than CLEP (if time is an issue). If time is not an issue TESU using CLEP, SDC, Davar, and SL will be the way to go but you'll kind of have to piece things together as you go because they'll change what they will accept as credit before you enroll...which could make things take longer and result in you duplicating courses and exams. IMO WGU is a wonderful blend of time, quality education, and cost. Once you transfer in all your gen eds, I don't see why you can't finish in 12 months IF you are willing to work like a crazy person.
(03-08-2019, 06:28 PM)TonyaBay Wrote: ... in terms of time, SL will almost always be faster than CLEP (if time is an issue).

I took 2 CLEP and 2 DSST exams in 1 day with no studying, and passed them all.  So I would say that testing is by far the FASTEST method if you're already familiar with the materials and don't need to study much.

In terms of courses, it is completely personal preference.  I love Sophia's platform, but their pricing is crap if you can't find a coupon/code.  I hated SL, reading a textbook online is not my cup of tea.  IStudy.com is just about the only course provider you can use on your phone, and do in short bursts.  But again, it's all just personal preference.  I suggest that you try several different providers and see what you like best.  And, since you can't get much if any UL credit at SL any longer, there's not a lot of reason to use them except that you like them - you can find everything they offer elsewhere, and many times for less.  Also, you are limited by the number of credits you bring in from any single provider at all of the Big 3, so it's not like you could take 114cr at SL anyway.

Here's my BSBA in Marketing degree plan for TESU.  I also think you should consider WGU (I don't have a degree plan for them though).

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BSBA6 MAR.pdf (Size: 47.92 KB / Downloads: 62)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Paul.Salazar9648, suzycupcake
(03-08-2019, 11:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I took 2 CLEP and 2 DSST exams in 1 day with no studying, and passed them all.  So I would say that testing is by far the FASTEST method if you're already familiar with the materials and don't need to study much.

Do you mind if I ask which CLEP and DSST exams they were? Were they just easy or did you have prior knowledge in those areas? 

Also, quick question - you mentioned WGU. Do they take Shmoop or is that only COSC that still takes them?  TIA!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
WGU doesn't take Shmoop.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 520 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,291 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 374 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 359 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 333 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 291 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 650 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 614 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch