Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is another residency waiver degree required for another degree?
I'll hopefully be graduating in December but I've considered getting another degree, just for fun. I only took the capstone and cornerstone at TESU, so I have to pay the residency waiver. Would another degree mean another residency waiver?
Yes. Or you could do a 10-credit term for only slightly more than the cost of a waiver. This would get you the 16 TESU credits necessary, plus possibly a class or two that might otherwise be difficult or more expensive to fill.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • delightfulwilderness
So, If you wanted to, and can wait, you can delay your graduation and get them both at the same time, there are two main reasons.
1) Basically, If you go for a 2nd BA, you pay a residency waiver and a second graduation fee.
If you haven't done the required 16 credits residency for the first degree, this will be expensive.
2) Also you need a minimum of 24 newer credits in the AOS after conferral of previous Bachelors.
All previously used credits that are lower level and upper level can't be used in the AOS, it has to be new credits.

Essentially, if you have some upper level courses that can go towards the second degree, if you graduate the first degree, these can't be used.  For example, you have close to 114 credits towards a BALS and 114 credits towards the BSBA, get them both at the same time, otherwise you'll be taking more courses than necessary and it'll take you longer to get that second degree, by waiting for a term or two, you can get both instead, it saves you energy, money, time in the long run!  This is just an example, it could be a BA in English and a BA in History, you're looking at, the same rule applies...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • striker321
(10-27-2021, 11:43 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, If you wanted to, and can wait, you can delay your graduation and get them both at the same time, there are two main reasons.
1) Basically, If you go for a 2nd BA, you pay a residency waiver and a second graduation fee.
If you haven't done the required 16 credits residency for the first degree, this will be expensive.
2) Also you need a minimum of 24 newer credits in the AOS after conferral of previous Bachelors.
All previously used credits that are lower level and upper level can't be used in the AOS, it has to be new credits.

Essentially, if you have some upper level courses that can go towards the second degree, if you graduate the first degree, these can't be used.  For example, you have close to 114 credits towards a BALS and 114 credits towards the BSBA, get them both at the same time, otherwise you'll be taking more courses than necessary and it'll take you longer to get that second degree, by waiting for a term or two, you can get both instead, it saves you energy, money, time in the long run!  This is just an example, it could be a BA in English and a BA in History, you're looking at, the same rule applies...

Sorry, can I clarify: you can double major? And only pay one residency waiver? I had no idea TESU allowd that, I thought I would have to do them sequentially lol. If I can avoid paying the fees twice that would be excellent.
(10-28-2021, 01:51 AM)sarahmac Wrote: Sorry, can I clarify: you can double major? And only pay one residency waiver? I had no idea TESU allowd that, I thought I would have to do them sequentially lol. If I can avoid paying the fees twice that would be excellent.

You can technically get (what would count at other schools as) up to 4 Bachelor's degrees and Associate's degrees at once.

Example:
BA History & BA English (degree one)
BSBA Marketing & BSBA Accounting (degree two)
ASNSM Computer Science & ASNSM Math (Associate one)
AS Electrical Technology & AS Technical Studies (Associate two)

This is an extreme example, but it would theoretically be allowed by TESU's rules. IIRC, you're not supposed to get the BSBA General Management + another BSBA degree. But, other than that, if you want a second degree: bjcheung77 is right. Do it now. It's faster and cheaper to do it all at once than to do them sequentially.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
rachel83az Wrote:You can technically get (what would count at other schools as) up to 4 Bachelor's degrees and Associate's degrees at once.

Example:
BA History & BA English (degree one)
BSBA Marketing & BSBA Accounting (degree two)
ASNSM Computer Science & ASNSM Math (Associate one)
AS Electrical Technology & AS Technical Studies (Associate two)

This is an extreme example, but it would theoretically be allowed by TESU's rules. IIRC, you're not supposed to get the BSBA General Management + another BSBA degree. But, other than that, if you want a second degree: bjcheung77 is right. Do it now. It's faster and cheaper to do it all at once than to do them sequentially.

I would write it differently for your Example:
BA History & English (degree one, double major)
BSBA Marketing & Accounting (degree two, dual AOS)
ASNSM Computer Science & Math (Associate one, dual concentration)
AS Electrical Technology & Technical Studies (Associate two, dual concentration)

The examples I provided are for two degrees, technically, you can only get two degrees of each and you're adding a second AOS for the BSBA or a second major for the BA.  Two degrees, BALS & BSBA, or BA English & BA History, it's different than Rachel83Az's example.   People have been asking how to max their credits for transfer and reuse them, for the most part, I tell them just to work on their main degree first as a check the box degree and if they have the energy, money, time, to get a degree they really need/want.

For me, I went for the BSBA degree as it was the cheapest, easiest, fastest option back then when the capstone was test-out-able and/or transferable, the utility of the degree was better than the BALS with or without a concentration.  Study.com offers many upper level courses for transfer and the BA Computer Science was available for a relatively inexpensive set of courses, so I changed my BALS on an older catalog year to my current degree in my program plan list.

Here's an example of the plan I created for my cousin and a few others that were asking, I haven't changed it since Jan 2021.  With all the changes, apparently, it will still work, the numbers of credits distributed in the requirements and in the electives are different, but it ends up being the exact same degree plan if you place it into those respective fields.  This is using the TECEPS & 16 residency credits to get the BSBA GM, BALS with the least assignments/written work. (No StraighterLine/Study.com either!) Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid347477
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you all for the wonderful responses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 599 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 498 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 520 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,241 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 398 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 373 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 340 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 298 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 659 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 622 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch