Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Capstone COSC
Anyone here taken the Business Capstone at COSC?

My son planned to take it this fall, however, we found out that it's actually a 2-term course, which I think is going to mess up our schedule. Maybe it's always been this way and I missed it? The Cornerstone is only 1 term (3 cr) but the Capstone is first a 1 credit / 1 term course followed by part 2 which is 2 credits / 1 term. The number of credits is still 3, but I think we're going to end up paying another fee AND he might not qualify to register in time.

He has 6 courses left - all through Study/Coopersmith, which he will finish by the end of August. The plan was he would do his Capstone in August, graduate in December. Turns out that he's too far away to qualify for fall registration *today* though we may ask again once he's finished 2 more classes. If he doesn't qualify to register for fall, he will have to sit out for 6 months and wait to start in January - a plan I don't love.

Anyone do this 2-part capstone at COSC? Any info to share?
(06-03-2019, 08:02 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Anyone here taken the Business Capstone at COSC?  

My son planned to take it this fall, however, we found out that it's actually a 2-term course, which I think is going to mess up our schedule.  Maybe it's always been this way and I missed it?  The Cornerstone is only 1 term (3 cr) but the Capstone is first a 1 credit / 1 term course followed by part 2 which is 2 credits / 1 term.  The number of credits is still 3, but I think we're going to end up paying another fee AND he might not qualify to register in time.

He has 6 courses left - all through Study/Coopersmith, which he will finish by the end of August. The plan was he would do his Capstone in August, graduate in December.  Turns out that he's too far away to qualify for fall registration *today* though we may ask again once he's finished 2 more classes.  If he doesn't qualify to register for fall, he will have to sit out for 6 months and wait to start in January - a plan I don't love.

Anyone do this 2-part capstone at COSC?  Any info to share?

For Individualized Studies and Liberal Studies, you have to do the 2 part capstone. I believe all of the other majors have a one part capstone. I am in the 2nd part of the Individualized Studies Business Capstone now. Part 1 of the capstone class is 5 weeks long and the goal is to get a capstone project approved. Part 2 of the capstone class is 10 weeks long and the goal is to produce the approved project from part 1. They say that you need to be within 9 credits of graduating to add the class. When I added the first capstone I was not within 9 credit, but I was by the time it started so I am not sure if they would have kicked me out or anything. If you have any particular questions, let me know and I will try to answer them from my experience.
Just for clarification on this issue: If I remember correctly the Cornerstone and Capstone cannot be taken in the same term so this situation (2 part Capstone) would require registering at CO and paying the associated student fees for 3 terms. Is this correct?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(06-03-2019, 03:06 PM)TwinMom Wrote: Just for clarification on this issue:  If I remember correctly the Cornerstone and Capstone cannot be taken in the same term so this situation (2 part Capstone) would require registering at CO and paying the associated student fees for 3 terms.  Is this correct?

If you are planning on doing the Individualized Studies or Liberal Studies track, you need to plan on paying the students fees for at least 2 semesters. There is no way around it since you can not take the cornerstone at the same time as the capstone and the capstone for these majors are 15 weeks longs put together. I did the cornerstone term 1 of the spring semester, the first capstone part in session 3 of the spring semester, and the second capstone class during the summer semester. I had to pay the student fees twice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ztkerls's post:
  • TwinMom
(06-03-2019, 06:37 PM)ztkerls Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 03:06 PM)TwinMom Wrote: Just for clarification on this issue:  If I remember correctly the Cornerstone and Capstone cannot be taken in the same term so this situation (2 part Capstone) would require registering at CO and paying the associated student fees for 3 terms.  Is this correct?

If you are planning on doing the Individualized Studies or Liberal Studies track, you need to plan on paying the students fees for at least 2 semesters. There is no way around it since you can not take the cornerstone at the same time as the capstone and the capstone for these majors are 15 weeks longs put together. I did the cornerstone term 1 of the spring semester, the first capstone part in session 3 of the spring semester, and the second capstone class during the summer semester. I had to pay the student fees twice.

That's what I thought.  Thanks for the reply!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • ztkerls
(06-03-2019, 08:02 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Anyone here taken the Business Capstone at COSC?  

... the Capstone is first a 1 credit / 1 term course followed by part 2 which is 2 credits / 1 term.  
The capstones for the liberal/individual studies are divided like this but the capstone for the Business Administration Major is not split up like this. It is an 8 week course:

https://www.charteroak.edu/bb/syllabi/bu...llabus.php
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,706 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,752 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 731 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,308 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,035 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,292 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,655 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,174 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,882 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,628 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso