Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Degree Path Guidance
(02-09-2021, 05:10 PM)BetaBen Wrote: Thank you again to everyone that answered! 

I have now completed English I on Sophia. Next up is my first SDC course: Communications 120. I am hoping to fulfill all the remaining TESU requirements on SDC. What are some recommendations for the Business/Managerial Communications TESU requirement? Does Business 113: Business Communication fulfill the requirement? I only see Business 324: Managerial Communication listed on the Wiki. 

Take all LL courses for the core.
Business 113: Business Communication will work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • BetaBen
(01-26-2021, 10:27 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I hate the GM concentration at TESU - it's crappy.  Random.

Instead, if there's one or two that you like, it's much better to get one - 6 related courses, instead of 6 random ones in at least 3 areas.

The ones available through alternative means:
Accounting
CIS
Entrepreneurship
Finance
HR/OM
Marketing

This is the best advice. Academic advisors will not always tell you this kind of stuff, but it is true. Picking a specific AOS is much better than general management. It aligns you better with jobs in the future and helps hiring managers understand what knowledge you bring to the table.

I have now completed English I on Sophia. Next up is my first SDC course: Communications 120. I am hoping to fulfill all the remaining TESU requirements on SDC. What are some recommendations for the Business/Managerial Communications TESU requirement? Does Business 113: Business Communication fulfill the requirement? I only see Business 324: Managerial Communication listed on the Wiki. 

SDC Business 113 will fulfill the requirement at TESU but you have to complete 3 assignments, as well as the final exam. If you are short on time or simply do not feel like doing three assignments and waiting to get a grade back on them, I recommend DAVAR business academy.

Check out this link: https://www.davaracademy.com/business.html

Look for the course called "MAN 390 MANAGERIAL COMMUNICATIONS" 

The course will come in as "MAN-373 Managerial Communications" at TESU, according the equivalency chart on the bottom of their website.

It is a self study course with a pdf slide show and chapter quizzes in word document form to prepare you for the final exam. Your grade is solely based on the final exam and there are no extra assignments involved. The exam is 60 multiple choice and 10 "short answer" questions, though usually a couple sentences will suffice for these.

Davar uses the same proctor as SDC, RPnow. You also have the option of using ProctorU if you wish.

I paid for, studied, and passed this course in one day. It's much easier and faster than watching 100 SDC videos and doing 3 assignments.

(01-26-2021, 03:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: At the end of the day, you end up with a BSBA (Business Administration major) having an AOS doesn't really matter, it's just indicating you have a concentration in a sub category, you still end up with the BSBA with a focus in CIS, Entrepreneurship, or whatever you decide on.  Your pro business core requirements will give you an overview of focus subjects that may interest you, the AOS is to further cement that knowledge or improve on it. The degree is different than say a BSIT, BA/BS in one of the AOS offered such as a BS in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, etc...

Saying AOS doesn't really matter is not always true. When deciding which career field you want to pursue, your Area of Study can make a huge difference. 
If your AOS is Marketing, but you really want an Accounting job, consider that a Marketing concentration only requires 2 courses in accounting. This may not be enough to beat out other job candidates who have a B.S. in Accounting and definitely is not enough courses for CPA exam eligibility. If you want to work in H.R. then an AOS other than H.R./Organizational Management would probably not make sense. 

Think about what jobs you have an interest in first, then consider which AOS will help you get there.

(01-26-2021, 03:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The degree is different than say a BSIT, BA/BS in one of the AOS offered such as a BS in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, etc...

Side note: The BSBA with a concentration in Accounting at TESU is absolutely similar to a standard B.S. in Accounting anywhere else. Most schools require 2 intro accounting courses, then Intermediate 1 and 2, and 4-5 upper level courses in Tax, Audit, Advanced Reporting, etc. The BSBA-Accounting at TESU has the exact same requirements. Don't sell yourself short just because your degree doesn't say "B.S. Accounting"
[-] The following 3 users Like thebluealbum1's post:
  • jch, rachel83az, ss20ts
(02-10-2021, 03:31 AM)thebluealbum1 Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 03:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: At the end of the day, you end up with a BSBA (Business Administration major) having an AOS doesn't really matter, it's just indicating you have a concentration in a sub category, you still end up with the BSBA with a focus in CIS, Entrepreneurship, or whatever you decide on.  Your pro business core requirements will give you an overview of focus subjects that may interest you, the AOS is to further cement that knowledge or improve on it. The degree is different than say a BSIT, BA/BS in one of the AOS offered such as a BS in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, etc...

Saying AOS doesn't really matter is not always true. When deciding which career field you want to pursue, your Area of Study can make a huge difference. 
If your AOS is Marketing, but you really want an Accounting job, consider that a Marketing concentration only requires 2 courses in accounting. This may not be enough to beat out other job candidates who have a B.S. in Accounting and definitely is not enough courses for CPA exam eligibility. If you want to work in H.R. then an AOS other than H.R./Organizational Management would probably not make sense. 

Think about what jobs you have an interest in first, then consider which AOS will help you get there.

I agree. Any degree is better than no degree. But a career-applicable degree is better than a generic degree. Instead of simply going for whatever is "fastest" or "easiest", it's a good idea to stop and think about what kind of jobs you want and what degree(s) will help you to get there. Sometimes, this isn't going to be the fastest, easiest, or cheapest degree but it will make life so much easier for you in the long run.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I don’t have any business work experience and am not entirely set on a specific area. That said, I have narrowed down my interest to CIS, Marketing, and Finance at TESU and maybe Project Management or Management & Leadership at UMPI. I was leaning towards the CIS AOS because I do have some interest in tech and have done really well in most tech areas in the past, though I have struggled to learn coding beyond the entry level.

Maybe it would be better for me to get IT certificates later on if I decide tech is right for me and get a concentration in Finance or Marketing. Anyone have experience getting into IT with a business degree and certs?
[-] The following 1 user Likes BetaBen's post:
  • Novo
(02-10-2021, 04:33 PM)BetaBen Wrote: I don’t have any business work experience and am not entirely set on a specific area. That said, I have narrowed down my interest to CIS, Marketing, and Finance at TESU and maybe Project Management or Management & Leadership at UMPI. I was leaning towards the CIS AOS because I do have some interest in tech and have done really well in most tech areas in the past, though I have struggled to learn coding beyond the entry level.

Maybe it would be better for me to get IT certificates later on if I decide tech is right for me and get a concentration in Finance or Marketing. Anyone have experience getting into IT with a business degree and certs?

This is probably not the preferred path, but it's not a terrible one.

If you want to work in IT, you should spend your time/money getting an IT degree.  That being said, a BSBA/CIS degree is ok, and a PM degree at UMPI is even better.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-10-2021, 03:31 AM)thebluealbum1 Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 10:27 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I hate the GM concentration at TESU - it's crappy.  Random.

Instead, if there's one or two that you like, it's much better to get one - 6 related courses, instead of 6 random ones in at least 3 areas.

The ones available through alternative means:
Accounting
CIS
Entrepreneurship
Finance
HR/OM
Marketing

This is the best advice. Academic advisors will not always tell you this kind of stuff, but it is true. Picking a specific AOS is much better than general management. It aligns you better with jobs in the future and helps hiring managers understand what knowledge you bring to the table.

SDC Business 113 will fulfill the requirement at TESU but you have to complete 3 assignments, as well as the final exam. If you are short on time or simply do not feel like doing three assignments and waiting to get a grade back on them, I recommend DAVAR business academy.

Check out this link: https://www.davaracademy.com/business.html

Look for the course called "MAN 390 MANAGERIAL COMMUNICATIONS" 

The course will come in as "MAN-373 Managerial Communications" at TESU, according the equivalency chart on the bottom of their website.

It is a self study course with a pdf slide show and chapter quizzes in word document form to prepare you for the final exam. Your grade is solely based on the final exam and there are no extra assignments involved. The exam is 60 multiple choice and 10 "short answer" questions, though usually a couple sentences will suffice for these.

Davar uses the same proctor as SDC, RPnow. You also have the option of using ProctorU if you wish.

I paid for, studied, and passed this course in one day. It's much easier and faster than watching 100 SDC videos and doing 3 assignments.

(01-26-2021, 03:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The degree is different than say a BSIT, BA/BS in one of the AOS offered such as a BS in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, etc...

Side note: The BSBA with a concentration in Accounting at TESU is absolutely similar to a standard B.S. in Accounting anywhere else. Most schools require 2 intro accounting courses, then Intermediate 1 and 2, and 4-5 upper level courses in Tax, Audit, Advanced Reporting, etc. The BSBA-Accounting at TESU has the exact same requirements. Don't sell yourself short just because your degree doesn't say "B.S. Accounting"
I will definitely look into MAN 390 MANAGERIAL COMMUNICATIONS from DAVAR. Finishing it in a day is very impressive, do you have a lot of experience in the subject area? I was going to aim for the SDC Business Communication course because it is lower level, but maybe not if it requires more coursework. I'm not the best at short answer problems in a proctored setting, but one or two sentences doesn't sound too bad.

(02-10-2021, 07:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 04:33 PM)BetaBen Wrote: I don’t have any business work experience and am not entirely set on a specific area. That said, I have narrowed down my interest to CIS, Marketing, and Finance at TESU and maybe Project Management or Management & Leadership at UMPI. I was leaning towards the CIS AOS because I do have some interest in tech and have done really well in most tech areas in the past, though I have struggled to learn coding beyond the entry level.

If you want to work in IT, you should spend your time/money getting an IT degree.  That being said, a BSBA/CIS degree is ok, and a PM degree at UMPI is even better.

Just curious, why do you think a BABA/PM would be better than a BSBA/CIS?
[-] The following 1 user Likes BetaBen's post:
  • Novo
(02-10-2021, 09:22 PM)BetaBen Wrote: [quote pid='329684' dateline='1613003731']

Just curious, why do you think a BABA/PM would be better than a BSBA/CIS?
[/quote]

Because Project Management in IT is one of those things that's a huge bonus.  You can easily get computer-related certs to substitute for a CIS concentration, but it's much harder to get PM credit.

For example, let's say you get a BABA/PM degree, and then take a couple of certifications (AWS, CompTIA Cloud+, something networking, etc.).  You can list all of that on a resume.  But if you get a BSBA/CIS degree, and then a job comes up where PM would be a good thing to have, you can't really put something on your resume showing that you understand that.

I just think the BABA/PM + a couple of certs rounds you out and makes you a stronger candidate.

That being said, if you want a job in IT, I'd still get an IT degree.  There are just as many good ones you can get at WGU or other schools as business degrees.  If my kid came to me for advice on getting a career in IT, it's what I would tell him to do.
(02-10-2021, 10:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Because Project Management in IT is one of those things that's a huge bonus.  You can easily get computer-related certs to substitute for a CIS concentration, but it's much harder to get PM credit.

For example, let's say you get a BABA/PM degree, and then take a couple of certifications (AWS, CompTIA Cloud+, something networking, etc.).  You can list all of that on a resume.  But if you get a BSBA/CIS degree, and then a job comes up where PM would be a good thing to have, you can't really put something on your resume showing that you understand that.

What on earth are you talking about? The PMP is the gold standard for project management certification, and has recognition the world over.

If I was looking for a project manager, I would hire someone with <any subject>Bachelor + PMP (or even CAPM) well before bothering with someone who got their entire degree in project management. Add to that, a PMP can command a serious increase in salary, whereas a BA in project management is . . . well, it's just another bachelor. It's fine, like a general management degree. It ticks a box, nothing more.

OP, get your degree in a subject area that interests you, where you can then apply project management principles. Then (or concurrently), get either the CAPM or (if you can) PMP. A major in project management is quite limiting. Not only is the PMP widely respected, it'll give you far more flexibility in terms of deciding how you want to develop your career. Rachel83az and thebluealbum1 have some really good advice in this thread about choosing your major/AOS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • Flelm
(02-11-2021, 08:37 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Because Project Management in IT is one of those things that's a huge bonus.  You can easily get computer-related certs to substitute for a CIS concentration, but it's much harder to get PM credit.

What on earth are you talking about? The PMP is the gold standard for project management certification, and has recognition the world over.

If I was looking for a project manager, I would hire someone with <any subject>Bachelor + PMP (or even CAPM) well before bothering with someone who got their entire degree in project management. Add to that, a PMP can command a serious increase in salary, whereas a BA in project management is . . . well, it's just another bachelor. It's fine, like a general management degree. It ticks a box, nothing more.

OP, get your degree in a subject area that interests you, where you can then apply project management principles. Then (or concurrently), get either the CAPM or (if you can) PMP. A major in project management is quite limiting. Not only is the PMP widely respected, it'll give you far more flexibility in terms of deciding how you want to develop your career. Rachel83az and thebluealbum1 have some really good advice in this thread about choosing your major/AOS.

SMH.  I did not say that the PMP is not a good cert - I said it was not EASY to get.   First, you have to have 3 years of experience leading projects to even apply.  Then, it is considered a VERY difficult test to pass.  THAT'S what in the world I'm talking about.

So getting a PM concentration for a degree at UMPI would be a good alternative option. Geez, read more thoroughly. Don't argue points that aren't made.

As far as having a PM concentration as being limited - I completely disagree.  There are many different areas of business where having a PM concentration would be useful (accounting, marketing, human resources, IT Management, etc.).  It's just another concentration that is more useful than general business.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
@thebluealbum1 <gasp> You caught me red-handed, advising the OP a BSBA is a general BA degree! And that a BSBA with a concentration won't really matter - at the end of the day, it truly is just a BSBA! Oh yes, there is a reason for that recommendation though... While most people advise the cheap/easy/fast options, I do as well but try to personalize it more by adding the value/ROI.

1) I was fishing for more info and looking to see what was being advised in this thread. Starting my conversation by butting in so to speak... Um, I wouldn't say butting in, but getting my first correspondence in the discussion to start things off... I usually get people to focus on 3 things, 1) Certifications 2) Degree 3) Experience

2) I am probably the only crazy frugal person in here that recommends not 1 but 2 AOS for the BSBA to get my monies worth, in addition to that, for the $ at TESU, I recommend getting another BA along with it if they are taking courses instead of paying for the residency waiver fee. With EC, COSC, this can be done as well...

3) It depends on the situation, the OP had so many concentrations they wanted to get into, they should focus on the general ed and professional business requirements and then decide on an AOS. If they're still undecided, then the GM would be the best option to cement what they want to study. To elaborate, in 2017 onward they now allow the GM + Another AOS, previously, it was only 1 AOS or 2 and the GM was the only exception that didn't allow a second AOS.

Further to this, OP is looking at Accounting, Finance, CIS or IT, Marketing, Project Management, (I might have missed one more) - going for a specific AOS would be a disservice to them as they're into so many - the only one that will allow them to get their feet wet in more subject areas would be the GM option. They can add say the CIS AOS to that if they want to have an additional AOS or concentration to specialize in...

@BetaBen - I just have a few quick questions, do you have a budget/fund to get you to your goal of the BSBA? Do you have tuition reimbursement? Are you looking for a program that has programmatic/secondary accreditation in addition to being just RA? Do you have a time frame you would like to finish the degree by? Last but not least, how many credits did you finish at UW using their flex option? Where did you transfer in the remaining credits from?

1) What you really need to do right now is to decide on the school and program, it's the first and foremost, otherwise the degree planning you're making is useless, it won't apply to each and every school you're thinking of going to. So, would AACSB, ACBSP, matter to you? Would you want a general BSBA or one with a specific concentration?

2) What is your end goal, are you going for a Masters or MBA after your initial Bachelors? I would chose a Bachelors program that will get me into the program of my end goal. So for example, not all Masters or MBA programs require you to have an undergrad degree in that field of study, there are "bridge - make up" courses that will prepare you for grad studies.

3) Are you in the US and a US citizen or Permanent Resident? Would going for a US undergrad and then an Australian or UK Masters be an option? For the price and recognition of some universities, I highly recommend looking at Australian/UK universities for the Masters in addition to current US offerings. Moreover, you should check out the following MOOCs, coursera, edx, futurelearn, udacity, upgrad for Masters offered at a significant discount.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 277 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 581 Today, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,151 Today, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,896 Today, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 191 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,102 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,289 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 170 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 928 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 533 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM