Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Degree Path Guidance
(02-13-2021, 03:13 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @thebluealbum1 <gasp> You caught me red-handed, advising the OP a BSBA is a general BA degree!  And that a BSBA with a concentration won't really matter - at the end of the day, it truly is just a BSBA!  Oh yes, there is a reason for that recommendation though... While most people advise the cheap/easy/fast options, I do as well but try to personalize it more by adding the value/ROI.

1) I was fishing for more info and looking to see what was being advised in this thread. Starting my conversation by butting in so to speak... Um, I wouldn't say butting in, but getting my first correspondence in the discussion to start things off...  I usually get people to focus on 3 things, 1) Certifications  2) Degree  3) Experience

2) I am probably the only crazy frugal person in here that recommends not 1 but 2 AOS for the BSBA to get my monies worth, in addition to that, for the $ at TESU, I recommend getting another BA along with it if they are taking courses instead of paying for the residency waiver fee.  With EC, COSC, this can be done as well...

3) It depends on the situation, the OP had so many concentrations they wanted to get into, they should focus on the general ed and professional business requirements and then decide on an AOS.  If they're still undecided, then the GM would be the best option to cement what they want to study.  To elaborate, in 2017 onward they now allow the GM + Another AOS, previously, it was only 1 AOS or 2 and the GM was the only exception that didn't allow a second AOS.  

Further to this, OP is looking at Accounting, Finance, CIS or IT, Marketing, Project Management, (I might have missed one more) - going for a specific AOS would be a disservice to them as they're into so many - the only one that will allow them to get their feet wet in more subject areas would be the GM option.  They can add say the CIS AOS to that if they want to have an additional AOS or concentration to specialize in...

@BetaBen - I just have a few quick questions, do you have a budget/fund to get you to your goal of the BSBA? Do you have tuition reimbursement? Are you looking for a program that has programmatic/secondary accreditation in addition to being just RA?  Do you have a time frame you would like to finish the degree by? Last but not least, how many credits did you finish at UW using their flex option?  Where did you transfer in the remaining credits from?

1) What you really need to do right now is to decide on the school and program, it's the first and foremost, otherwise the degree planning you're making is useless, it won't apply to each and every school you're thinking of going to.  So, would AACSB, ACBSP, matter to you?  Would you want a general BSBA or one with a specific concentration?  

2) What is your end goal, are you going for a Masters or MBA after your initial Bachelors?  I would chose a Bachelors program that will get me into the program of my end goal.  So for example, not all Masters or MBA programs require you to have an undergrad degree in that field of study, there are "bridge - make up" courses that will prepare you for grad studies.

3) Are you in the US and a US citizen or Permanent Resident?  Would going for a US undergrad and then an Australian or UK Masters be an option?  For the price and recognition of some universities, I highly recommend looking at Australian/UK universities for the Masters in addition to current US offerings.  Moreover, you should check out the following MOOCs, coursera, edx, futurelearn, udacity, upgrad for Masters offered at a significant discount.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my situation. I really appreciate it.

1.     Budget: I do not have tuition reimbursement and would like to get an affordable degree. My main focus right now is getting a degree, while working a part time job. I plan on paying for the residency waiver fee at TESU as I feel that Study.com may fit my learning style with its bite sized video lessons.

2.     Programmatic/secondary accreditation: This would be a plus for sure.

3.     Time frame: I do not have a strict time frame, but I was hoping for the end of the year/early next year. I was hoping to move quickly simply because TESU (and some others) seem to be changing their requirements.  

4.     I earned 52 credits from UW flex. I have attached a Word doc with the sources of my credits.

5.     Deciding on a school/program: AACSB, ACBSP accreditation would be beneficial. I see that TESU has ACBSP, while UMPI has neither.

6.     End goal: My goal is to get work experience and eventually decide whether to get a Master’s degree. To be honest, I have hobbies like video editing that I want to pursue, but I want to earn a Business Administration degree because I have some interest in the area and want to avoid the high risk of a career in video editing.

7.     US citizen? Yes, I am in the US and am a US citizen. I haven’t considered pursuing a Master’s from Australia or the UK, but will definitely look into it as well MOOCs.

Attached Files
.docx   My Credits.docx (Size: 15.22 KB / Downloads: 12)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BetaBen's post:
  • Novo
(02-13-2021, 01:55 PM)BetaBen Wrote: 5.     Deciding on a school/program: AACSB, ACBSP accreditation would be beneficial. I see that TESU has ACBSP, while UMPI has neither.

Does the ACBSP apply to their online degrees or just their on campus program? That is definitely something to look into. At many schools, it does not include their online programs which is a HUGE bummer. 
(02-13-2021, 02:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 01:55 PM)BetaBen Wrote: 5.     Deciding on a school/program: AACSB, ACBSP accreditation would be beneficial. I see that TESU has ACBSP, while UMPI has neither.

Does the ACBSP apply to their online degrees or just their on campus program? That is definitely something to look into. At many schools, it does not include their online programs which is a HUGE bummer. 

The BSBA at TESU is ACBSP, you don't have to worry about it. They only have that one program with multiple AOS to select from...

@BetaBen, for the 52 credits at UW Flex, how long did it take you to do those and how much was the cost?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-13-2021, 05:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 02:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

The BSBA at TESU is ACBSP, you don't have to worry about it.  They only have that one program with multiple AOS to select from...

@BetaBen, for the 52 credits at UW Flex, how long did it take you to do those and how much was the cost?
It took 24 months and the cost was $18,000 (2,250 per 3 month term). I started straight out of high school and it took longer than I would have liked to get used to college/the competency based structure. That said, grade turnaround was often long and the 80% passing requirement led me to take more time to ensure that I passed. I ended up getting A's on everything, so maybe I spent too much time on it. Big Grin
In contrast, in about 4 months (with a long Christmas break) I was able to complete 7 Sophia courses, Google's Professional IT Support cert, and a couple non-credit Coursera courses. I was able to do most of the Sophia courses within 5 days, though English I took a couple weeks and Business law took a week due to the papers. Being able to fly through courses was a refreshing change of pace.
  • Novo
re The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki

When I click to the Wiki it goes to the original home page and the links for COSC or TESU degree plans do not go to the nice plans rachel83az 
put so much effort into. Am I missing the links or is there a new home for the Wiki?

Sorry to distract
BetaBen Wrote:It took 24 months and the cost was $18,000 (2,250 per 3 month term). I started straight out of high school and it took longer than I would have liked to get used to college/the competency based structure. That said, grade turnaround was often long and the 80% passing requirement led me to take more time to ensure that I passed. I ended up getting A's on everything, so maybe I spent too much time on it. Big Grin
In contrast, in about 4 months (with a long Christmas break) I was able to complete 7 Sophia courses, Google's Professional IT Support cert, and a couple non-credit Coursera courses. I was able to do most of the Sophia courses within 5 days, though English I took a couple weeks and Business law took a week due to the papers. Being able to fly through courses was a refreshing change of pace.

Alright, this is how I would recommend you swing things. I think TESU/WGU or Bradman/UMPI would be a good option if you can get the bulk of your alt credits completed before you transfer for the remaining credits at any of these schools. Brandman is soon to be UMASS Global... you can mix and match your options. For example, go for an ACBSP Bachelors and then another ACBSP Masters or go for an AACSB Masters.

1) If you have the extra cash, energy, time - continue your studies at UW Flex for the BSBA, it's AACSB and probably the cheapest if you can complete courses fast enough using their competency based degree model. It's not possible to go back in time, but I would have had you finish the general education at a cheaper community college and complete the 52 credits at UW instead to get a BSBA! In your shoes, I would skip this and go for an AACSB Masters program instead, and you can select a specific concentration. There are several that are very inexpensive (under 15K for the entire 1-2 year AACSB Masters)!

2) Go for a BSBA GM/CIS dual concentration at TESU, this way, you can take Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Project Management courses in addition to CIS. If you are wanting to pay the residency waiver, this is the way to go. If you want to take courses, then grab another degree in the process! After this is complete, you can then ladder up to a RA Masters or chose from a few other inexpensive Masters from ACBSP/AACSB schools.

3) For cost, ease, and speed to finish, you might want to take the easy way out with COSC or one of the competency degree providers such as UMPI/WGU and speed through those remaining requirements. If you want a second degree from COSC, you just need to take the required courses and the second capstone. Again, you can ladder these degrees later to a better ACSBP or AACSB program after your initial Bachelors.

graduatesoon Wrote:re The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki

When I click to the Wiki it goes to the original home page and the links for COSC or TESU degree plans do not go to the nice plans rachel83az 
put so much effort into. Am I missing the links or is there a new home for the Wiki?

Sorry to distract

When you're in the DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
Go down the page until you reach the List of Topics
There is a hyperlink - See all topics here: All Pages.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-13-2021, 08:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
BetaBen Wrote:It took 24 months and the cost was $18,000 (2,250 per 3 month term). I started straight out of high school and it took longer than I would have liked to get used to college/the competency based structure. That said, grade turnaround was often long and the 80% passing requirement led me to take more time to ensure that I passed. I ended up getting A's on everything, so maybe I spent too much time on it. Big Grin

Alright, this is how I would recommend you swing things.  I think TESU/WGU or Bradman/UMPI would be a good option if you can get the bulk of your alt credits completed before you transfer for the remaining credits at any of these schools.  Brandman is soon to be UMASS Global... you can mix and match your options.  For example, go for an ACBSP Bachelors and then another ACBSP Masters or go for an AACSB Masters.

1) If you have the extra cash, energy, time - continue your studies at UW Flex for the BSBA, it's AACSB and probably the cheapest if you can complete courses fast enough using their competency based degree model.  It's not possible to go back in time, but I would have had you finish the general education at a cheaper community college and complete the 52 credits at UW instead to get a BSBA!  In your shoes, I would skip this and go for an AACSB Masters program instead, and you can select a specific concentration.  There are several that are very inexpensive (under 15K for the entire 1-2 year AACSB Masters)!

2) Go for a BSBA GM/CIS dual concentration at TESU, this way, you can take Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Project Management courses in addition to CIS. If you are wanting to pay the residency waiver, this is the way to go.  If you want to take courses, then grab another degree in the process! After this is complete, you can then ladder up to a RA Masters or chose from a few other inexpensive Masters from ACBSP/AACSB schools.  

3) For cost, ease, and speed to finish, you might want to take the easy way out with COSC or one of the competency degree providers such as UMPI/WGU and speed through those remaining requirements. If you want a second degree from COSC, you just need to take the required courses and the second capstone. Again, you can ladder these degrees later to a better ACSBP or AACSB program after your initial Bachelors.  

1) I'm thinking UW Flex might not be the best option for me going forward. I'm hoping a different program will help me accelerate my progress. 

2) I probably go for this option, especially if study.com works well for me. Otherwise, UMPI sounds like it could be a good fit for me based on what I have read on the thread. 

3) How would COSC be an easier option? 

Thanks again for your time!
  • Novo
(01-19-2021, 10:26 PM)BetaBen Wrote: Hello everyone.

I have been reading on the forum for a while now about the possibility of accelerating my path toward a degree.
I completed a UW Flexible Option Associate of Arts and Sciences degree. For anyone interested, it’s not a bad competency-based program, but I found it to be pretty time consuming due to a fair amount of busywork and the 80% requirement to pass courses. The major benefit for me was that no proctoring was required on nearly every course, but I would like to get a degree sooner rather than later.

I tried out Sophia and loved it. I flew though the materials and exams in a few days and still felt like I learned more than I did in an average FLEX course. I definitely do better with self-paced, low-stress courses, but because the FLEX degree was taking longer than expected, I decided that earning a degree in Business from one of the big three using SDC and other sources might be the best option for me.

However, when TESU changed its rules regarding RA credit, my anxiety kicked in (even though I have enough RA credit). Is it possible that the big three could create a new policy requiring more courses be taken through the college?  I’m afraid that I will be a SDC course or two away from the capstone and the Big Three will introduce a new rule in July or January that requires me to take courses with the college. Do you think they will do this soon? Are you safe once you have your graduation plan locked in?

I have been considering the BSBA in Accounting, Finance, General Management, and Computer Information Systems at TESU, the BSBA at COSC, and a Business Administration Bachelor’s at UMPI.

Given the credits I have, what degree path do you think would be the simplest to complete? What are your general thoughts? (See attached Word doc with my credits).

I really appreciate any advice you may share. Big Grin
I’m on the Business Administration program at UW flex, I agree with you is a little time consuming but overall is good. 

Have you consider WGU?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luiscastaneda25's post:
  • Novo
(02-14-2021, 03:49 AM)Luiscastaneda25 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:26 PM)BetaBen Wrote: Hello everyone.

I have been reading on the forum for a while now about the possibility of accelerating my path toward a degree.
I completed a UW Flexible Option Associate of Arts and Sciences degree. For anyone interested, it’s not a bad competency-based program, but I found it to be pretty time consuming due to a fair amount of busywork and the 80% requirement to pass courses. The major benefit for me was that no proctoring was required on nearly every course, but I would like to get a degree sooner rather than later.

I tried out Sophia and loved it. I flew though the materials and exams in a few days and still felt like I learned more than I did in an average FLEX course. I definitely do better with self-paced, low-stress courses, but because the FLEX degree was taking longer than expected, I decided that earning a degree in Business from one of the big three using SDC and other sources might be the best option for me.

However, when TESU changed its rules regarding RA credit, my anxiety kicked in (even though I have enough RA credit). Is it possible that the big three could create a new policy requiring more courses be taken through the college?  I’m afraid that I will be a SDC course or two away from the capstone and the Big Three will introduce a new rule in July or January that requires me to take courses with the college. Do you think they will do this soon? Are you safe once you have your graduation plan locked in?

I have been considering the BSBA in Accounting, Finance, General Management, and Computer Information Systems at TESU, the BSBA at COSC, and a Business Administration Bachelor’s at UMPI.

Given the credits I have, what degree path do you think would be the simplest to complete? What are your general thoughts? (See attached Word doc with my credits).

I really appreciate any advice you may share. Big Grin
I’m on the Business Administration program at UW flex, I agree with you is a little time consuming but overall is good. 

Have you consider WGU?

WGU is a school I have been looking at as well. They don't seem to take as many ACE credits, but it seems like a good school. I was briefly in the Science and Technology program at Flex, but decided that business might be the right path for me. I haven't tried out the Flex Business program as I felt that I may be able to complete my degree more quickly elsewhere. 

How long has the Business Administration program been taking for you? Do you have work experience that helps you complete competencies?
  • Novo
(02-14-2021, 01:00 PM)BetaBen Wrote: WGU is a school I have been looking at as well. They don't seem to take as many ACE credits, but it seems like a good school. I was briefly in the Science and Technology program at Flex, but decided that business might be the right path for me. I haven't tried out the Flex Business program as I felt that I may be able to complete my degree more quickly elsewhere. 

How long has the Business Administration program been taking for you? Do you have work experience that helps you complete competencies?

WGU takes a decent chunk of ACE credits, the only issue is their programs don't really have electives (so every single course has to match exactly).

You can check what they accept from Study.com, StraigherLine, etc here: https://partners.wgu.edu/ (they also take some courses from Sophia, check the WGU subforum on here).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbinghamjr's post:
  • BetaBen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on path to BA for drug/alcohol counselors studyingfortests 7 143 3 hours ago
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 153 4 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 663 4 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 63 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 344 10 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Path Recommendation for 50 y.o. male in US ill13 13 748 Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Last Post: ill13
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 153 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,484 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 217 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM