Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Degree Path Guidance
(02-14-2021, 01:00 PM)BetaBen Wrote: WGU is a school I have been looking at as well. They don't seem to take as many ACE credits, but it seems like a good school. I was briefly in the Science and Technology program at Flex, but decided that business might be the right path for me. I haven't tried out the Flex Business program as I felt that I may be able to complete my degree more quickly elsewhere.

WGU takes up to 75% of a degree from ACE.  The main issues are that there are zero elective credits, and only 25-30% of a degree there is Gen Ed's.  So it's always going to be harder to find alternative credit for your major courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-19-2021, 10:26 PM)BetaBen Wrote: Hello everyone.

I have been reading on the forum for a while now about the possibility of accelerating my path toward a degree.
I completed a UW Flexible Option Associate of Arts and Sciences degree. For anyone interested, it’s not a bad competency-based program, but I found it to be pretty time consuming due to a fair amount of busywork and the 80% requirement to pass courses. The major benefit for me was that no proctoring was required on nearly every course, but I would like to get a degree sooner rather than later.

I tried out Sophia and loved it. I flew though the materials and exams in a few days and still felt like I learned more than I did in an average FLEX course. I definitely do better with self-paced, low-stress courses, but because the FLEX degree was taking longer than expected, I decided that earning a degree in Business from one of the big three using SDC and other sources might be the best option for me.

However, when TESU changed its rules regarding RA credit, my anxiety kicked in (even though I have enough RA credit). Is it possible that the big three could create a new policy requiring more courses be taken through the college?  I’m afraid that I will be a SDC course or two away from the capstone and the Big Three will introduce a new rule in July or January that requires me to take courses with the college. Do you think they will do this soon? Are you safe once you have your graduation plan locked in?

I have been considering the BSBA in Accounting, Finance, General Management, and Computer Information Systems at TESU, the BSBA at COSC, and a Business Administration Bachelor’s at UMPI.

Given the credits I have, what degree path do you think would be the simplest to complete? What are your general thoughts? (See attached Word doc with my credits).

I really appreciate any advice you may share. Big Grin

Here's my take on UMPI for you...

There are 3 bachelor's of arts in business administration at UMPI. Each one has a concentration. You have to pick one or more. The options are accounting, management & leadership, or project management.

https://online.umpi.edu/

Click on Online Programs at the top and it will drop down with the degree options.

At UMPI, you need to complete the major/minor requirements, the GEC (their gen eds), and elective credits. You must complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. You will need to complete a specific number of UL courses. This varies with each degree program. You will need to complete a specific number of UL courses at UMPI. There are also specific UL course requirements int eh major which must be completed at UMPI. There are no exceptions to these policies. A lot of people think they're going to sign up and not take UL at UMPI. It doesn't work that way. Quite the opposite actually. One thing to keep in mind is that every course needed to complete every single degree is offered at UMPI. Tuition is $1400 per 8 week term. There are NO additional fees. No outside textbooks. All of the course material is contained within the learning platform. 

For the GEC, you'll need a few English and speech courses. I do not recommend taking them outside of UMPI. There is far less coursework in the UMPI courses. They are significantly faster as well. 

I would recommend you take these courses at Sophia, then apply to UMPI. The application is free. You just pay for your transcripts. 

Microeconomics

Introduction to Psychology
Environmental Science
US History 1

Ancient Greek Philosophers

That's it and then I would apply. You look to be in really good shape. You've got several business courses already completed so you would have part of the major already done. Feel free to send me any questions you have about UMPI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • BetaBen
(02-14-2021, 01:00 PM)BetaBen Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 03:49 AM)Luiscastaneda25 Wrote:

I have been reading on the forum for a while now about the possibility of accelerating my path toward a degree.
I completed a UW Flexible Option Associate of Arts and Sciences degree. For anyone interested, it’s not a bad competency-based program, but I found it to be pretty time consuming due to a fair amount of busywork and the 80% requirement to pass courses. The major benefit for me was that no proctoring was required on nearly every course, but I would like to get a degree sooner rather than later.

I tried out Sophia and loved it. I flew though the materials and exams in a few days and still felt like I learned more than I did in an average FLEX course. I definitely do better with self-paced, low-stress courses, but because the FLEX degree was taking longer than expected, I decided that earning a degree in Business from one of the big three using SDC and other sources might be the best option for me.

However, when TESU changed its rules regarding RA credit, my anxiety kicked in (even though I have enough RA credit). Is it possible that the big three could create a new policy requiring more courses be taken through the college?  I’m afraid that I will be a SDC course or two away from the capstone and the Big Three will introduce a new rule in July or January that requires me to take courses with the college. Do you think they will do this soon? Are you safe once you have your graduation plan locked in?

I have been considering the BSBA in Accounting, Finance, General Management, and Computer Information Systems at TESU, the BSBA at COSC, and a Business Administration Bachelor’s at UMPI.

Given the credits I have, what degree path do you think would be the simplest to complete? What are your general thoughts? (See attached Word doc with my credits).

I’m on the Business Administration program at UW flex, I agree with you is a little time consuming but overall is good. 

Have you consider WGU?

WGU is a school I have been looking at as well. They don't seem to take as many ACE credits, but it seems like a good school. I was briefly in the Science and Technology program at Flex, but decided that business might be the right path for me. I haven't tried out the Flex Business program as I felt that I may be able to complete my degree more quickly elsewhere. 

How long has the Business Administration program been taking for you? Do you have work experience that helps you complete competencies?
I’m on my second Term, about to start my third.
To be honest on my first term I did 4 courses. On my second I tried to do 5 but I was diagnosed with COVID so only finished one. Even tho I symptoms only lasted a week I just felt tired all the time. 

If you look at the degree program, the problem is that many classes are 1-2 credit and they take the same amount of work of a 3 credit curse. So overall more courses to take and more assessments. 

I do have business experience, for example I finished the stock performance class in a week and the HR In about 2 weeks. 

I’m thinking of transferring to WGU, just because I believe it might be faster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luiscastaneda25's post:
  • BetaBen
(02-15-2021, 04:33 AM)Luiscastaneda25 Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 01:00 PM)BetaBen Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 03:49 AM)Luiscastaneda25 Wrote:

I’m on the Business Administration program at UW flex, I agree with you is a little time consuming but overall is good. 

Have you consider WGU?

WGU is a school I have been looking at as well. They don't seem to take as many ACE credits, but it seems like a good school. I was briefly in the Science and Technology program at Flex, but decided that business might be the right path for me. I haven't tried out the Flex Business program as I felt that I may be able to complete my degree more quickly elsewhere. 

How long has the Business Administration program been taking for you? Do you have work experience that helps you complete competencies?
I’m on my second Term, about to start my third.
To be honest on my first term I did 4 courses. On my second I tried to do 5 but I was diagnosed with COVID so only finished one. Even tho I symptoms only lasted a week I just felt tired all the time. 

If you look at the degree program, the problem is that many classes are 1-2 credit and they take the same amount of work of a 3 credit curse. So overall more courses to take and more assessments. 

I do have business experience, for example I finished the stock performance class in a week and the HR In about 2 weeks. 

I’m thinking of transferring to WGU, just because I believe it might be faster.

Sorry to hear you got COVID! That lasting tiredness is a bummer, especially when you are trying to complete a degree. 

WGU could allow you to finish more quickly. As @dbinghamjr and @dfrecore pointed out, WGU does take quite a few ACE credits, which can be earned pretty quickly, especially if you have experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BetaBen's post:
  • Novo
If you're not in a huuge rush, I'd apply to both WGU & UMPI (no fees for either one), just to see where things fall. UMPI programs include more gen eds & have electives, which might be a significant advantage for you.
I am curious about the LL options for the TESU Finance degree plan. SDC's Finance 101: Principles of Finance and Finance 104: Financial Management are listed on the WIKI. What does it mean that they may overlap with Sophia's Principals of Finance? Are there any other options? 
  • Novo
(03-10-2021, 09:30 PM)BetaBen Wrote: I am curious about the LL options for the TESU Finance degree plan. SDC's Finance 101: Principles of Finance and Finance 104: Financial Management are listed on the WIKI. What does it mean that they may overlap with Sophia's Principals of Finance? Are there any other options? 

Sophia's Principles of Finance is brought in as FIN-200. On SDC's site, Finance 101 is supposed to be brought in as FIN-100 and Finance 104 as FIN-200. However, some students have apparently reported Finance 101 being brought in as FIN-200. 

The simplest solution is to take all UL courses. Between SDC and Davar there are just enough courses for 18 UL credits in finance so that you don't have to worry about the LL options. There is no penalty (beyond the extra time/effort) for taking excess UL credits. 

The more complicated (and expensive) solution would be to take a few LL Finance courses from an inexpensive community college. Anything that is not called principles of finance or intro to finance should, in theory, work. You can check to see if anyone has already transferred in a college course here: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit A course that isn't listed doesn't mean that they don't accept it; it only means that nobody has brought it to TESU yet.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • BetaBen, Novo
(03-11-2021, 02:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 09:30 PM)BetaBen Wrote: I am curious about the LL options for the TESU Finance degree plan. SDC's Finance 101: Principles of Finance and Finance 104: Financial Management are listed on the WIKI. What does it mean that they may overlap with Sophia's Principals of Finance? Are there any other options? 

Sophia's Principles of Finance is brought in as FIN-200. On SDC's site, Finance 101 is supposed to be brought in as FIN-100 and Finance 104 as FIN-200. However, some students have apparently reported Finance 101 being brought in as FIN-200. 

The simplest solution is to take all UL courses. Between SDC and Davar there are just enough courses for 18 UL credits in finance so that you don't have to worry about the LL options. There is no penalty (beyond the extra time/effort) for taking excess UL credits. 

The more complicated (and expensive) solution would be to take a few LL Finance courses from an inexpensive community college. Anything that is not called principles of finance or intro to finance should, in theory, work. You can check to see if anyone has already transferred in a college course here: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit A course that isn't listed doesn't mean that they don't accept it; it only means that nobody has brought it to TESU yet.
Thanks @rachel83az. I appreciate the clarification!

I am thinking I will go for the CIS concentration and maybe a General Management concentration if things go well. Does anyone have recommendations for the programming language on SDC? I am leaning toward Python at the moment as I have heard it is beginner friendly.
[-] The following 2 users Like BetaBen's post:
  • Novo, rachel83az
Python is super easy if you've not done programming before. I suggest going through the lessons at Py4E.com; I think you only need the first 5 or 6 lessons there in order to complete the project at SDC. The lessons on SDC are okay but, IMO, don't really do a good job of actually teaching you the language.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • BetaBen, Novo
(03-11-2021, 01:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Python is super easy if you've not done programming before. I suggest going through the lessons at .com; I think you only need the first 5 or 6 lessons there in order to complete the project at SDC. The lessons on SDC are okay but, IMO, don't really do a good job of actually teaching you the language.

Thanks! Would you say that the lessons prepare you for the exam?
  • Novo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on path to BA for drug/alcohol counselors studyingfortests 3 39 13 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 0 12 41 minutes ago
Last Post: nhmimi
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 29 366 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Path Recommendation for 50 y.o. male in US ill13 13 728 3 hours ago
Last Post: ill13
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 130 10 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 269 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 204 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,849 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 174 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM