Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business degree plan for an international student
Hey everyone, I just found out about the whole credit by examination system, and honestly the amount of information is making feel overwhelmed as I am not familiar with how education works in other nations. 
Anyhow, Currently I'm a senior law student from Egypt, and would like to take this route to earn a business degree. Obviously, I haven't taken any exam yet. Is there an existing plan for international students? My budget would probably be 4-5k$, I will stick to the cheapest route but I might extend it if there is a plan that would earn me a business degree from a reputable university. After I graduate I will probably have 1 year doing nothing but studying for my masters so I will have lots of time to study for that 2nd undergrad degree. Thanks in advance.
You should fill out the information from this thread, so we can help you better: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

However, if you are comfortable with the idea of writing academic papers in English, your budget is perfect for a business degree from UMPI. Other American universities would probably be outside of your budget.

Since you are in Egypt, what languages do you speak? I assume English and Arabic, but do you speak any others?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-24-2022, 04:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You should fill out the information from this thread, so we can help you better: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

However, if you are comfortable with the idea of writing academic papers in English, your budget is perfect for a business degree from UMPI. Other American universities would probably be outside of your budget.

Since you are in Egypt, what languages do you speak? I assume English and Arabic, but do you speak any others?

Yea, Arabic and English. In fact I can speak English fluently and I'm able to write academic papers in English better than Arabic Smile . I'm aware that I sometimes make mistakes but I can still avoid them with proper preparation. I studied French in school however I never used it so I forgot the entire language, but I'm planning to study it again later.

Degree that I'm pursing currently: Law (L.L.B)
Degree that I'm planning: Business (BBA/BBSA, BSc)
Credits that I have: N/A
Certifications or military experience: N/A
Budget: 4-5k might extend it if there are better degree options
Dedicated study time: I can do full days of studying, so much free time Smile 
Timeline: well I've my senior year as a law student, then another year pursing an L.L.M "Actually it is two years but there are couple of free months between graduation and admitting to an L.L.M program, and 1st year probably don't have a lot of subjects anyway" , so yea ideally 1 year, or 2 year maximum
Tuition/Assistance: N/A

Is this better? I actually thought that I gave all relevant information according to the thread, sorry xD. I know my current academic position isn't the best but I'm working on it.
Anyhow, I checked out UMPI and they offer BA in business administration, what would be the cheapest university for a BBA/BBSA? Honestly I'm not really keen on utilizing that degree 100%. I'm treating it as a complementary degree to my LLB, so the minor differences between the degree types probably doesn't matter, but I still wanna know what options I got.
@Spaz, welcome to the board... that's a very short and simple introduction and hits most of the spots, usually the more info the better.  Anyways, I agree with the UMPI BABA as your best inexpensive option, as mentioned, others would be over your budget.  

So, transfer all your credits you have (maybe even after your final year) and start the UMPI BABA YourPace.  They have several concentrations to select from too if you wanted to switch things up a bit... Here are the wiki plans: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Spaz
UMPI requires students to have at least 3 credits (one class) in a foreign language. Students who already know a language that is not English are able to take an ACTFL exam.

For Arabic, the inexpensive Reading and Listening exams are NOT worth any university credit. However, the Writing or Oral exams are available for credit. https://www.languagetesting.com/lti/prod...ng_id/7169? For French, all 4 exams are worth credits. It might be worth spending a few weeks catching up on your French, or you can go with the easier (but more expensive) Arabic exams.

A UMPI degree usually costs $200-300 for Sophia courses + about $300 for Biology 101L (and a course of student's choice) from Study.com + either $2800 or $4200 for 2 or 3 sessions (4-6 months) from UMPI.

Other schools will likely cost anywhere from $2000-$4000 more than a UMPI degree. The easiest of these to plan for would probably be TESU. You can see degree plans for TESU here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Excelsior could cost only slightly less than TESU, but it has historically been more difficult to plan for. Especially for Business degrees.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Spaz
thanks for fast replies! I really appreciate it. I done a quick research and UMPI it is, I will take a deeper look at the plan and courses and map out my schedule and finances. I also think I will take the French exams over Arabic, the LLM program that I will enroll in is actually in French, so it's efficient to study French and take the exams.

But small question, what is a "session" in UMPI? I'm only familiar with semester system but the whole "session of 8 weeks" completely flies over my head.
Instead of terms or semesters, UMPI measures time for YourPace degrees in sessions. A class that is started during a session at UMPI needs to be finished by the end of that same session, or else it counts as a failure. Sessions start and end on fixed dates, so knowing when the end of a session is will be key to ensuring that you're able to finish as many classes as possible. Some students are able to start a new class a couple of days before the end of the session and still pass, others might want to give themselves more leeway.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 5 96 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 116 10 hours ago
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,684 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 188 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,545 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 207 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 322 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 622 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,074 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM