Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westcott Question
Can Straighterline or Study.com courses be used to satisfy their prerequisites? I'm interested in taking Calculus III through Westcott but would like to take Calc I & II at SL to help keep my costs down. Any insights are appreciated.
I would just contact them and ask. Not sure why they would care where you took the courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-16-2018, 10:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would just contact them and ask. Not sure why they would care where you took the courses.

Because every college / university cares where you got your credit.
(03-17-2018, 10:52 AM)KUJO Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 10:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would just contact them and ask.  Not sure why they would care where you took the courses.

Because every college / university cares where you got your credit.

They aren't a college or university, they are a course provider.

And, every college/university DOESN'T care where you got your credit.  Especially for pre-requisite material, many schools will take your word for it that you have the knowledge necessary to take a course.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Yenisei
I received this email response from Westcott. They will accept Calc1 from Straighterline to fulfill the prerequisites for Calc2, Calc3, and Linear Algebra.

"The credits from ACE will be ok for the classes below (Calc2, Calc3, Linear Algebra).  If you want to
 take College Algebra or Abstract Algebra, then we would need pre-reqs
 from a regional accredited university."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sapientes's post:
  • Yenisei
(04-25-2018, 12:56 PM)Sapientes Wrote: I received this email response from Westcott. They will accept Calc1 from Straighterline to fulfill the prerequisites for Calc2, Calc3, and Linear Algebra.

"The credits from ACE will be ok for the classes below (Calc2, Calc3, Linear Algebra).  If you want to
 take College Algebra or Abstract Algebra, then we would need pre-reqs
 from a regional accredited university."
That's very helpful.

Has anyone on here used SL's Calc II as a pre-req for Westcott's (or any college's) Calc III course?

If so, do you feel SL had you prepared for the challenge of Calc III?
I haven't tackled this one - but be advised. I just had the registrar / Deans office at TESU come back and say Westcott's Calc 3 will transfer in as Calc 1. Not 3. This is due to the syllabus and what's covered in the class description. If you're taking Calc 3 at Westcott to fill calc 3 at TESU you may wind up being sorely dissappointed.
-----
Testing through BA In Mathematics via TESU - Graduation planned in 2020
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
(01-02-2020, 02:41 PM)dharmastudios Wrote: I haven't tackled this one - but be advised. I just had the registrar / Deans office at TESU come back and say Westcott's Calc 3 will transfer in as Calc 1. Not 3. This is due to the syllabus and what's covered in the class description. If you're taking Calc 3 at Westcott to fill calc 3 at TESU you may wind up being sorely dissappointed.

that makes no sense  

here's the course description for westcott  calc 3 
https://westcottcourses.com/c/calculus-3/BR#_four

here's the course description for suny empire calc 3 
https://open.suny.edu/courses/empire-sta...pring-2020 

here's NYU calc 3        
https://math.nyu.edu/dynamic/courses/und...th-ua-123/

they look pretty much the same to me
(01-02-2020, 02:41 PM)dharmastudios Wrote: I haven't tackled this one - but be advised. I just had the registrar / Deans office at TESU come back and say Westcott's Calc 3 will transfer in as Calc 1. Not 3. This is due to the syllabus and what's covered in the class description. If you're taking Calc 3 at Westcott to fill calc 3 at TESU you may wind up being sorely dissappointed.

I'm probably going to fight that one, but providing info that the Westcott Calc 3 course covers the same info as other Calc 3 courses - send them the syllabus from Westcott, and the syllabus from their own Calc 3 course (providing that it is similar) and then maybe the syllabi from some other Calc 3 courses that look to be similar.
LOL,

Westcott Caclculus 3 is similar to TESU Calculus IV

https://www2.tesu.edu/syllabus/current/M...T-332.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,030 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,223 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 526 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,141 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 921 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 802 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,265 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  ACTFL- silly question... uncapentin 10 1,096 02-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore