Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business vs IT
(01-10-2020, 12:54 PM)Leedeedee Wrote: If you can, I'd go for both.  Or at least the BSBA + a Computer Science degree.   There's so much demand for IT professionals with both project management skills and accounting skills to work in areas such as corporate systems development.

Interesting. I have a CS undergrad from TESU. Would an MBA allow me to get these jobs? I have managerial experience, with some systems development (third-party CRM stuff). I was looking at the Purdue MBA.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(01-10-2020, 05:33 PM)NolaRice Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 12:54 PM)Leedeedee Wrote: If you can, I'd go for both.  Or at least the BSBA + a Computer Science degree.   There's so much demand for IT professionals with both project management skills and accounting skills to work in areas such as corporate systems development.

Interesting. I have a CS undergrad from TESU. Would an MBA allow me to get these jobs? I have managerial experience, with some systems development (third-party CRM stuff). I was looking at the Purdue MBA.

Depending on your states CPA requirements, this is very unlikely. Unless you take a lot of supplementary accounting courses to meet your state's CPA reqs.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-10-2020, 06:07 PM)jsd Wrote:

Depending on your states CPA requirements, this is very unlikely. Unless you take a lot of supplementary accounting courses to meet your state's CPA reqs.

You don't have to be a CPA to get into ERP/Corporate Systems development.  I'm not one and neither are any of my colleagues.   I have a background in management accounts, as well as a computer science qualification.  One of my colleagues has a BS in Accounting, IT certifications and a background in IT Business Analysis.  What's important is that you understand accounting concepts and can liaise with CPAs to document their requirements for the IT systems, then translate that into the set up and technical developments for the systems.

I would say if you've got the CRM systems development background I'd try to get more work in that field.  Companies will love an MBA, but it's your CRM development experience they'll like the most.  Look for IT Business Analyst roles specializing in systems development, especially with organizations that use the specific CRM system you had the experience in developing.  If you're an experienced senior manager it might be a step back in the hierachy, but there's loads of good jobs out there. We've actually got a senior position open at my place right now, but they're asking for 5 years experience in CRM systems development.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)
Master of Business Administration: ENEB Isabel I

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Yeah my bad, I somehow missed we were talking about corporate systems development, and not just general accounting anymore. Even though I quoted it. I wasn't reading closely enough.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 277 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 450 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 695 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 523 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 970 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  GetEducated.com Major Update (business degrees) freeloader 1 718 04-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Business Certificates Alpha 7 1,302 11-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Cheating is BIG business! <sigh> bjcheung77 24 3,816 08-29-2021, 05:55 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  BSc Business & Management (Honors Top Up) £5,250 or less! bjcheung77 0 505 08-22-2021, 06:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,047 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests