Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bypass masters and get PhD instead
(03-25-2021, 06:08 AM)gridbash Wrote: I don’t think this information is reliable. I mean, I don’t anyone that did this in practise, so I guess it won’t be possible. It makes sense to require a master’s degree in order to apply for a PhD one. It’s just a way of proving your already existing knowledge. I think it’s better to consult a professional source though. I know this great website https://studybay.com/blog/molar-mass-of-air/ that handles a lot of academia questions. It’s almost like an educational hub. I’m sure you’ll find insightful information on this matter, as well as other important details that might helpful. For my bachelor’s thesis, I used a lot of their mentoring and in the end, I passed with a high grade.

People have done it in practice and there are at least two credible posts above yours detailing that (one showing a link from a school that literally does it), so I'm not sure how you can say you don't think the information is reliable. This is a very credible site. We don't get everything right immediately all the time, no one does not even Studybay, but through discussion we reach the right answer.

Just so you know, in many UK and EU countries it's normal for people to go straight to a master's without a bachelor's, or to a doctorate without a master's. It's rarer in the United States, but this sort of thing can be and has been done with some schools. For one very public and recent example, look up Kimberly Strable who went from a bachelor's to a doctorate right here in the United States.

The "professional source" thing is kind of funny to me because the base here would give Studybay a run for its money. They don't have some kind of hidden knowledge, they do the same thing we do: apply research and prior knowledge. Some of us do it better than others, but we all do it and get to the right answer. This board is filled with highly educated people, and we do it for free.

(03-25-2021, 07:09 AM)withrown Wrote: It is possible but, your best bet for this type situation is the school your getting your bs/ba at. Like many have said technically you don't bypass it you just earn it along the way. I live in a metro area with large college with a big phd/md/dds program and I have heard a lot of folks tell their sob stories of washing out of a program and walking away with a masters.

*this is based on my experience in the US

In the United States, I would say that's true in most cases, but not with every school. With a few, you literally do bypass. In the UK and EU it's more common to bypass. On the other board, there was a discussion started by a person from a European country who was concerned about her resume only having a master's on it but no bachelor's as she was competing for jobs in the U.S., it was an interesting discussion.
(02-11-2021, 12:08 AM)Seagull Wrote: I remember reading way back some article on this.

Is it possible? 

Have only capstone left to complete and then on to graduate programs.
At first wanted to get a grad certificate if it is worth having. With only 12 credits feels doable. But I remembered reading of students bypassing the masters and wondered how it can be done.

I'm late, but I've seen a few B>Ph.D programs in my pursuit of a doctorate. I have a master's degree and was kind of surprised when I saw them - was kind of kicking myself lol. 

Example: https://phd-business.uncc.edu/prospectiv...ast%20650.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
[-] The following 1 user Likes soliloquy's post:
  • eLearner
(02-11-2021, 12:08 AM)Seagull Wrote: I remember reading way back some article on this.

Is it possible? 

Have only capstone left to complete and then on to graduate programs.
At first wanted to get a grad certificate if it is worth having. With only 12 credits feels doable. But I remembered reading of students bypassing the masters and wondered how it can be done.

It's actually fairly common for people to go from a Bachelors straight into a Doctoral program.  There is no secret as to how to do it.  You just apply.  Obviously it helps if your GPA is through the roof and you have a killer essay but the lack of a Masters is not technically an obstacle.  As has been stated, there are ways to earn the Masters on the way and there are "terminal Masters" for people who drop out at the dissertation phase.  Also, there are some programs like Physical Therapy where moving from the Bachelors to the Doctorate is the standard route.
Can You Get a PhD without a Masters? | DiscoverPhDs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Texila & UCN - Masters/PhD Programs bjcheung77 5 2,812 06-13-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: ZoeRo
  Transition from Masters to PhD Alpha 1 901 01-31-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: datby98
  Masters & PhD programs in Canada Eh? bjcheung77 0 1,150 11-19-2020, 03:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD bjcheung77 130 39,571 09-14-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Masters/PhD in Psychology/Neuroscience options Supermind 23 6,489 07-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Supermind