Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAPSTONE requirements not listed on TESU website?
Since January 1, 2019, like displayed on the TESU website, you must have at least 100 credits and a minimum GPA of 2.0 to register for the Capstone. However, according to this thread (especially post #1 and #2), there are other requirements as well—which are, along with English Comp. I and II, that you have to have all (or almost all) AOS credits completed.

Is this true? In the second post, there is mention of an email from TESU about the new requirements, which was emailed to Capstone students. However, for students not enrolled in the Capstone, this is highly important information—especially if you aren't aware of it, and then learn about it when registering for the Capstone (basically derailing everything if you didn't have most/all of your AOS courses).

What are the official details about the new (and unannounced) Capstone requirements? What's up with not announcing them to everyone?
(04-12-2019, 09:51 PM)pws Wrote: Since January 1, 2019, like displayed on the TESU website, you must have at least 100 credits and a minimum GPA of 2.0 to register for the Capstone. However, according to this thread (especially post #1 and #2), there are other requirements as well—which are, along with English Comp. I and II, that you have to have all (or almost all) AOS credits completed.

Is this true? In the second post, there is mention of an email from TESU about the new requirements, which was emailed to Capstone students. However, for students not enrolled in the Capstone, this is highly important information—especially if you aren't aware of it, and then learn about it when registering for the Capstone (basically derailing everything if you didn't have most/all of your AOS courses).

What are the official details about the new (and unannounced) Capstone requirements? What's up with not announcing them to everyone?

Based on the latest feedback from students who've posted about their interactions with advising over registering for the capstone, what you posted above is correct. You need a minimum of 100 credits on your academic assessment, plus you must have completed English I and II and most (or all) of the courses in your area of study. When they say AOS, I believe that also includes the courses in section II (Core) for folks pursuing a BSBA.

The original email didn't include all the extended requirements, those appear to have been added since the announcement was made back in December. So this is all coming from feedback from advising who are the gatekeepers when you petition to register for the capstone. I'm not sure if there is an updated list of official requirements.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
There's nothing official that I can see, but they want to see that you are prepared for the capstone; which means English I & II for certain. I don't think I would advise anyone to try the capstone without those.

As for the AOS courses, depending on the degree, it may or may not matter. But in terms of getting you prepared for the capstone, I'm guessing for most people who are taking regular courses rather than alternative credits, there's more writing there to prepare you for what you'll be doing.

In this instance, I think they just want people to succeed, and this is the best way they can do that. I don't think it's a bad idea.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-13-2019, 04:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: There's nothing official that I can see, but they want to see that you are prepared for the capstone; which means English I & II for certain. I don't think I would advise anyone to try the capstone without those.

As for the AOS courses, depending on the degree, it may or may not matter. But in terms of getting you prepared for the capstone, I'm guessing for most people who are taking regular courses rather than alternative credits, there's more writing there to prepare you for what you'll be doing.

In this instance, I think they just want people to succeed, and this is the best way they can do that. I don't think it's a bad idea.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I have heard some stories where they have been unreasonably strict with it. Is that ONE extra AOS course really going to help prepare someone for the Capstone that much?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(04-13-2019, 04:39 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 04:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: There's nothing official that I can see, but they want to see that you are prepared for the capstone; which means English I & II for certain.  I don't think  I would advise anyone to try the capstone without those.

As for the AOS courses, depending on the degree, it may or may not matter.  But in terms of getting you prepared for the capstone, I'm guessing for most people who are taking regular courses rather than alternative credits, there's more writing there to prepare you for what you'll be doing.

In this instance, I think they just want people to succeed, and this is the best way they can do that.  I don't think it's a bad idea.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I have heard some stories where they have been unreasonably strict with it. Is that ONE extra AOS course really going to help prepare someone for the Capstone that much?

I think that's why they say "most" of the AOS courses.  If you come in with 100cr, including English I & II, the core/major, and a few AOS courses, I'm guessing you'll have no problem registering for the capstone.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree it's a good idea to have completed all/most of your AOS courses before the Capstone, however, the requirement is for registering for the Capstone. The registration is around 1 month before the actual Capstone. And even more, taking into account that credits take 3-4 weeks to transfer, that means that not only do you have to have your AOS courses 1 month before the start of the Capstone, but also 1 month before the registration of it—totaling around 2 months.

(04-13-2019, 11:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think that's why they say "most" of the AOS courses.  If you come in with 100cr, including English I & II, the core/major, and a few AOS courses, I'm guessing you'll have no problem registering for the capstone.

If that's the case, it wouldn't be too bad. I'm just worried about situations like this one.
I wasn't allowed to register for the Capstone until I only had 3-6 credits left in my AOS. They didn't have my courses slotted correctly so I had a lot of last minute scrambling so I could register for the professor I wanted before the class filled up.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • pws
I had to call in to get them to remove the block on my account to allow me to register for it, even though I already had 114 credits at the time of registering.

They are definitely more strict about it now.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • pws
I had a similar experience. After opening a support ticket I ended up calling to get the block removed in order to register.
At that time I had 111 credits evaluated/applied, and 6 non AOS credits received and being processed. The Capstone was my final class.
TESU BALS/2019
Capstone LIB-495 April 2019
Study.com/NFA/Sophia/Cisco/Institutes
TECEP: 15 | University: 4 | DLIFLC: 45 | JST: 45 | TEEX: 6
[-] The following 1 user Likes sheptr's post:
  • pws

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 494 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 443 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 465 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,281 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 257 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,204 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 523 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 366 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 299 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az